Disgusting Service From Yorkshire BS

Options
This morning,Saturday,at 10.30 am i went to my local branch of the Yorkshire BS to reinvest 70k in a fixed rate bond.
I havent been sure what to do with the money and when the bond matured 2 weeks ago i asked for a cheque to be sent to me which they did.
I noticed only one woman was on the desk and the other window was closed.Nobody at the table as you walk in so quite a queue was forming.I did see another female behind the glass counter when i went in but she went out the back and didnt return into the room.
I waited 20 mins until i was served.
I said i would like to reinvest my money and open a 3yr bond.I had expected " Certainly sir,take a seat and a member of staff will be with you very soon ". No such luck.
I was told they are busy and cannot deal with this now.
I was furious and said are you refusing 70k in business then ?
She didnt reply to that and her attitude was really bad.
Where is the customer service nowadays ?
Dont they want savers money anymore ?
I told her to forget it and i will take my money elsewhere.
I have sent a complaint to the Yorkshire so lets see what they have to say.

Comments

• evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 May 2013 at 6:28PM
    Options
    reachout1 wrote: »
    Dont they want savers money anymore ?

No they don't, not with the Government printing all that money. :(
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps they were busy with customers who'd booked appointments.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Options
    No, they weren't as the desks were empty (where such customers are helped?)

you wont get far with your complaint I imagine, but if you go the best savings accts thread hopefully you will find something better for your 70K
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Staff sickness?

Somebody had to leave due to a family emergency?

All advisors were busy with pre booked appointments?

There are a huge number of variables.

Most banks and building societies now operate on an appointment basis and have done for some time. Would you expect to walk into the Citizens advice bureau, the doctors, the opticians, the dentists? No you would not. They have moved to an appointment basis because different members of staff in a branch now have different roles and only a certain number will hold the relevant authorizations to open accounts. Banks are required to internally authorize their staff by the FSA to ensure compliance with the huge level of regulation.

I suppose they could have dealt with your situation more tactfully, such as first of all offering an apology, offering to squeeze you in or offered an alternative appointment or even a paper application for you to complete.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ses6jwg wrote: »
    I suppose they could have dealt with your situation more tactfully, such as first of all offering an apology, offering to squeeze you in or offered an alternative appointment or even a paper application for you to complete.

May be they have. We have only heard one side of the story.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2013 at 8:13PM
    Options
    Back in my previous life as a bank branch manager Saturday mornings were an interesting affair.

Branch deserted first thing. Catch up a few admin tasks. Nip out and get a bacon buttie for anybody who wanted it. Check in with the mortgage adviser to check what she had on her plate. Make sure somebody cleaned the ATMs which usually showed the wear and tear of a Friday night.

10am check on the sales figures. Worry that we've done very little against target.

10.15am the first signs of a queue.

10.20am all my "advisers" are with customers now. Hope the first one's quick - there's a 10.30am appointment in the diary.

10.30am to noon - absolute bedlam. The whole town is now in my banking hall. Everybody's running around like a fly with a blue posteria. All hands to the pump.

Noon - lock the door. 20+ customers still in the banking hall. Explain to a good dozen outside that we close at noon. Always have done. No I can't let "just you" in.

12.15pm - check the business levels. 10 appointments seen. 8 customers seen without an appointment. 5 booked in for next Saturday. One awkward complaint about telephone banking to look in to on Monday. Support cashiers in balancing tills. Get them out of the door and home to their families as early as possible.

Get in early if you want to be seen without an appointment during the busiest time of the week.

And if you're retired avoid Saturdays and lunch periods.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    I have always had very good service from Yorkshire Building Society, better than Santander, and far better than Nationwide.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    opinions4u wrote: »
    Back in my previous life as a bank branch manager Saturday mornings were an interesting affair.

Branch deserted first thing. Catch up a few admin tasks. Nip out and get a bacon buttie for anybody who wanted it. Check in with the mortgage adviser to check what she had on her plate. Make sure somebody cleaned the ATMs which usually showed the wear and tear of a Friday night.

10am check on the sales figures. Worry that we've done very little against target.

10.15am the first signs of a queue.

10.20am all my "advisers" are with customers now. Hope the first one's quick - there's a 10.30am appointment in the diary.

10.30am to noon - absolute bedlam. The whole town is now in my banking hall. Everybody's running around like a fly with a blue posteria. All hands to the pump.

Noon - lock the door. 20+ customers still in the banking hall. Explain to a good dozen outside that we close at noon. Always have done. No I can't let "just you" in.

12.15pm - check the business levels. 10 appointments seen. 8 customers seen without an appointment. 5 booked in for next Saturday. One awkward complaint about telephone banking to look in to on Monday. Support cashiers in balancing tills. Get them out of the door and home to their families as early as possible.

Get in early if you want to be seen without an appointment during the busiest time of the week.

And if you're retired avoid Saturdays and lunch periods.

That describes my Sat mornings at LloydsTSB perfectly 10 years ago. Cant say I miss it LOL
  • nilrem_2
    nilrem_2 Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    I have always had very good service from Yorkshire Building Society, better than Santander, and far better than Nationwide.

I think it varies from branch to branch, some are excellent some are good some are fair and some are poor, I have often heard comments about bad service at nationwide but our local one seems very good.

It depends a lot on the individual staff member' the op may have been unlucky in being served by a person who was having a bad day or who appeared aloof, it happens.

I do understand why the op feels aggrieved, a few years ago they would have been delighted to open an account on the spot but things have changed somewhat in the last few years.

A few years ago I went into Santander for a fixed rate bond, I had filled in a form (as they requested) written out a cheque and took all my ID with me but they refused to take it and insisted I make an appointment for the following week, I pointed out that I could just leave it with them and they could post the stuff back but they weren't interested, I took my money around to Nationwide and they opened the account on the spot.:)

Naturally I have not considered dealing with Santander since.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,574 Forumite
    Options
    This morning,Saturday,at 10.30 am i went to my local branch of the Yorkshire BS to reinvest 70k in a fixed rate bond.

http://www.ybs.co.uk/savings/online/ebond.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport