We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cat deterrant for a hedge

Options
baywood_2
baywood_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
edited 23 April 2013 at 3:46PM in Gardening
We have a box hedge which we were going to replace but at the moment just can't afford it. Our neighbours have 4 cats who are jumping off their extension onto our hedge using it as a trampoline to break their fall, and it is destroying it. Any idea how we can stop them, it is about a 5 foot section.

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]

Comments

• tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if you could do something visual by putting up something like poles with coloured ribbons which wave around in the wind. But it would have to be something soft which wouldn't injure the cats if they landed on it.
  • baywood_2
    Options
    I have put some thin stakes in and then waved string to make a criss cross design. It is only short term until they learn not to use it as it doesn't look pretty but the hedge looks a mess now where they have destroyed it so can't look any worse
  • antw23uk
    antw23uk Posts: 510 Forumite
    Options
    Spikes on the fence so they cant actually be above the hedge to drop down onto it? Its what im doing when i patch up the fence tops in a couple of weeks because im sick of my boys landing slap bang on my plants at the back of the border, lol :o
    Ant. :cool:
  • baywood_2
    Options
    the extension belongs to our neighbours ( with whom relations are a little strained) who thought it was hilarious(when relations were not so strained)
    we have a shared path between our hedge and their house and they just jump off it to break their fall, and whilst we would like to replace it in the future when funds allow( could be a long wait ) it looks terrible where they have just kept jumping into it. we also have a small veg patch in the back garden and as soon as we rotovate it, then it will become a giant litter tray for the 9 cats who live either side. very frustrating.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Small hole plastic not wire netting. Just lay over the top. When you do a veg patch, use it again but raise an inch or two off the soil.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • pippinpuss
    Options
    Don't use anything that could injure the cat or you could face a vets bill from your neighbours.

You could put up small windchimes on several poles, they don't like them, ribbons could just attract them, to play with.

I use child's windmills on my veg patch to keep my 4 off it.
  • Camper777
    Options
    baywood wrote: »
    We have a box hedge which we were going to replace but at the moment just can't afford it. Our neighbours have 4 cats who are jumping off their extension onto our hedge using it as a trampoline to break their fall, and it is destroying it. Any idea how we can stop them, it is about a 5 foot section.

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]
    If you're planning on staying there I'd consider planting a holly hedge in the future.
  • AliBaliBee_2
    Options
    Can your neighbour not keep the cats off their roof in the first place - do they leave an upstairs window open and thats how the cats get there - perhaps they could be asked to shut the window?

How about a line of binbags taped together or an old tarpaulin. Clear plastic would be best though, like a painting sheet from B&Q or something they wouldnt readily see. Secure with string along the top of the hedge. Pour some water over, which will go into the depressions in the plastic and sit there in puddles along the length. The cats are bound to splash into it once and think twice the next time. Cats dont usually like water so i would imagine it would put them off and they can develop another way of getting down, which will quickly become routine and your hedge will be forgotten about, at which time remove plastic!

The netting idea was good if you want to scare the daylights out of them and i think it would work, but if they get tangled and thrash around and break a limb that could cost YOU over £1,000 to put right if you get sued (i dont know the ins and outs of that). Id stick to a water based solution and would never hurt an animal deliberately, its just a bit of water.

You can buy electric fences for pets (so not a strong blast) mains or battery, which is effective with cattle and horses, but they can cost quite a lot. Perhaps see if you know someone who has one and borrow it? Dont borrow a large animal strength one though, it could damage a little kitty! Again, it doesnt damage the animal, it just feels like a pinprick and you dont do it twice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure