Locating Woolwich/Barclays Shares

Options
Hello,

My Grandmother recently passed away. I am trying to get all her financial information together and have found some old Woolwich (which I would assume would now be Barclays) share certificates in her paperwork. I am not sure if she still has these or if they have been sold many years ago.

Does anyone know who would be the broker for these shares ? and how I would find out if they still exist ?

Is there any easy way to find out if she holds any other shares ?

Kind Regards,

Richard

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

As far as I can tell the registrar for Barclay's is Equiniti, so I'd guess they are the people to get in touch with.

As for other shares I don't think there is, sorry.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Could you check her bank statements and see if she had any dividends paid in from other companies?
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Shaolin_Monkey
    Options
    If you think she may have been holding other shares but don't have any details it may be worth writing to the main share registrars and asking them to check their records. The main registrars are Equiniti, Computershare and Capita Registrars. Try googling "tracing lost shares" and you should find some tips.
  • Chorlie
    Chorlie Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Woolwich Plc shares were subject to a Purchase/Exchange Offer in August 2000.

The Terms were:-

For every 1 Woolwich Plc you got 0.1175 Barclays Plc shares or £1.64 cash (or a mixture of both if you elected for it).

These Barclays shares were subsequently split into new shares in April 2002 at ratio of 4 new shares per one old.

Therefore if your original holding was 100 Woolwich Plc you would either have received £164.00 if you took cash or you would now hold 44 Barclays Plc.

Registrar is Equiniti (used to be Lloyds) in Lancing West Sussex.
    Number 0871 384 2030.

So she may have Barclays share or she may of taken the cash offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure