Insurance help, please.

Options
I wonder if anyone can help. My hubby is an owner/driver of an HGV. 4 weeks ago he was asleep in his cab when an DHL driver backed into him and severly damaged his passenger door. The DHL driver apologised, took details etc. My hubby contacted his insurance. He was parked (and asleep in bunk!) - clear cut case. However, 4 weeks on and hubby is still in lorry where passenger door doesn't open and leaks in bad weather. My hubby's lorry insurance is 'waiting' for DHL to accept liability. Today, they have given him a choice - continue waiting for DHL to admit liability or to go ahead and have work done claiming on his own insurance (then they pursue DHL) but this means that hubby has effectively claimed on his own insurance and therefore premiums will be affected next year. Is this right? My hubby was asleep in a legal parking area and someone backed into him ...it seems so unfair that this is going to cost him/us. We are really struggling to make ends meet what with rising petrol costs etc and it's a headache we could have really done without. Can anyone advise, please? Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It would be easier if your husband goes via a accident claims company then you can watch dhl jump through hoops so as to avoid the extra expenses
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It would be easier if your husband goes via a accident claims company then you can watch dhl jump through hoops so as to avoid the extra expenses

Who do you think his own Insurers have passed it to at the moment?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,580 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Even though it was not his fault he must declare it for 5 years and his premiums are likely to go up anyway.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• feelingblue
    Options
    Thanks for replies. Seems so unfair. Try and make a living and someone else's mistake costs us. One step forward and two back all the time. I just don't understand hubby's insurance company giving him the choice - wait for DHL to admit liability or get lorry fixed now and his own insurance company pays - if the outcome (higher ins premiums) is the same?
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. I am an ex trucker but not knowledgable about truck insurance claims. Dealing with large multinational companies is a whole new ball game. I used to work for DHL.

I have copied and pasted your post into a Truckers Forum, owner drivers section. There might be someone there who can help you. You can check it here, or I can copy and paste the replies here.
    Best wishes, Ilona

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=97339
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,580 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He claim claim from his own policy because it allows him to. And they can charge the other side making more money for them.

But you have to pay the excess. If you wait for the 3rd party then you dont pay the excess and they should treat you better.

As above their worst nightmare is an accident claims company.

Phone or write to the other persons insurance directly tell them you require a quick fix as the vehicle is suffering from water ingress because of the damage.

If they cannot sort it quickly you need to put the vehicle into storage and obtain a hire vehicle. Tell them you have already spoke to a claims company and they could get you a brand new vehicle delivered by 9am tomorrow. But its some outrageous figure, Do they want to pay this.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Ilona
    Options
    There has been a reply from Trucknet.

Hi one thing to remember is nothing is simple where insurance company's are concerned
    Iv been in a similar situation before like yours
    If the claim has been reported to your insurance company weather you get the truck repaired on your insurance or wait for them to cough up until its settled either way it still gies against you
    My advise is get it repaired on your insurance then your insurance will chase the third party for there money back
    Bear in mind you will have to pay your excess normally 500 quid and the vat on the repairs of course this will all be re embersed to you if and when the claim goes in your favour
    I love skip diving.
  • Ilona
    Options
    And another reply.

You have three choices:
    1) Wait it out and let the two insurances companies argue it out.
    2) Get your own insurance company to pay for the damage and down time on the understanding that they persue payment from the other party.
    3) Get a quote and pro former invoice for the work, Then claim directly from the other parties insurance company.
    However, If you go down the route of number 3, Read your policy thoroughly, You could breach your conditions. I'm not saying you will, But it's got to be looked at.
    I love skip diving.
  • Ilona
    Options
    A third reply from Trucknet

you could try sending DHL a solicitors letter stating that you will be taking them to court to recover the costs, this usually helps them decide to cough up

you will find that if you don't keep pushing them, the bigger companies will let it drag on and on in the hope that you will drop it
    I love skip diving.
  • Ilona
    Options
    Another reply

If it's only the door skin that has been damaged then I might be tempted to pay for the repairs myself and then send DHL a bill for costs of the repairs and my own costs, say £1,000, giving them 30 days to pay up, then I'd issue a Small Claims Court action against them. It would cost them more to defend it than to pay up.
    I love skip diving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills