First4solar ( Solar Europa Ltd) - anyone used them?

Options
Sorry for another 'anyone used this mob' post...

Can't find much about 'first4solar' on the net. They have the usual flashy website with the usual fab returns. They have quoted me a 16 panel system (3.6Kw) for just under 5k which seems a great price.

I suspect they may use cheaper panels and inverters (need to ask them about that) which would explain the price. Looks like you have to pay extra for a better inverter.

They are HIES Accredited.

Just wondering whether anyone has used them for the ir SP installation? I'd prefer to stick to with someone who has a (good) reputation so any alternative names would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

OB

Comments

• uklad_2
    uklad_2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 March 2013 at 9:20PM
    Options
    Where are you located

What panels and inverter are they offering and does the price include EPC or not
  • Oranjeboom
    Oranjeboom Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    uklad wrote: »
    Where are you located

What panels and inverter are they offering and does the price include EPC or not

i am in Kent

Not sure what you mean whether the price is inclusive of EPC or not...the house is rated as EPC band .

Not sure about the panels or inverter, but there are options to upgrade the inverter: http://first4solar.co.uk/system-upgrades/micro-inverters/

so i suspect that their inverter isn't the most efficient.

will give them a call...
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,632 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 March 2013 at 4:39PM
    Options
    We are also in Kent and used Solar Advanced Systems for our panels. Very pleased with them and when we had a problem they were out same day to investigate.

Panels have given around 30% higher output than the SAP estimates.

http://www.solaradvancedsystems.co.uk/
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Oranjeboom
    Options
    oranjeboom wrote: »
    i am in Kent

Not sure what you mean whether the price is inclusive of EPC or not...the house is rated as EPC band .

Not sure about the panels or inverter, but there are options to upgrade the inverter: http://first4solar.co.uk/system-upgrades/micro-inverters/

so i suspect that their inverter isn't the most efficient.

will give them a call...

OK - inverter is a 'SolarMax 4200S' and the panels are 'Solar Europa 230w SILVER Panels' (CHN230-60P) which come from China I believe: http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/15801411018/product-detailZobxPheMnqrT/China-Polycrystalline-Silicon-Solar-Panel-CHN230-60P-.html

16x 230 watt panels
    3.68 kWp System

4700 pounds
  • Oranjeboom
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    We are also in Kent and used Solar Advanced Systems for our panels. Very pleased with them and when we had a problem they were out same day to investigate.

http://www.solaradvancedsystems.co.uk/

thanks JJ. Had a look at their site and at least they seem to give you some more options with regards to panels, layout options etc. I'll give them a call when I am ready. Advantage of bing local too, which is what I'd be after.
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Much of this difference will be due to the SAP being based on a Sheffield location and your array being in Kent.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,782 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    oranjeboom wrote: »
    OK - inverter is a 'SolarMax 4200S' and the panels are 'Solar Europa 230w SILVER Panels' (CHN230-60P) which come from China I believe: http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/15801411018/product-detailZobxPheMnqrT/China-Polycrystalline-Silicon-Solar-Panel-CHN230-60P-.html

16x 230 watt panels
    3.68 kWp System

4700 pounds

Hiya, sorry to sound negative, but 16 * 230W = 3.68kWp is ringing a small alarm bell in my head.

If you've got room for 16 panels, then try to max out the 4kWp tariff with 250W panels. What I'm nervous of here is that 3.68kW is the DNO export limit, and your inverter will probably be capped at this, so a salesman might try to convince you that having more kWp in panels is wasted, but it won't. Honest.

A 4kWp system will only run over 3.68kW for the tiniest amount of time, and only when the panels are cold. A minute of strong sun, and they'll be down to 90% or so.

Probably worrying over nothing, but the co-incidence did jump out at me a bit. So if you've room for 16 regular sized panels, then make sure they are 250W.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Oranjeboom
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya, sorry to sound negative, but 16 * 230W = 3.68kWp is ringing a small alarm bell in my head.

If you've got room for 16 panels, then try to max out the 4kWp tariff with 250W panels. What I'm nervous of here is that 3.68kW is the DNO export limit, and your inverter will probably be capped at this, so a salesman might try to convince you that having more kWp in panels is wasted, but it won't. Honest.

A 4kWp system will only run over 3.68kW for the tiniest amount of time, and only when the panels are cold. A minute of strong sun, and they'll be down to 90% or so.

Probably worrying over nothing, but the co-incidence did jump out at me a bit. So if you've room for 16 regular sized panels, then make sure they are 250W.

Mart.

Thanks Mart - another note taken down here. I have enough room indeed for 16panels and maybe a solar water unit too.
  • solarsavingexpert
    Options
    BEWARE OF MISLEADING INFORMATION

(engineering recommendation G83/1-1 Stage 1).

This applies if your solar PV system is up to 16A per phase,equivalent to 3.68kW, which is based on the lower of:

· the rating of the inverter (based on 230V) and

· the sum of the ratings of the PV panels, multiplied by themaximum efficiency of the inverter.

If your inverter was 100% efficient the largest system you couldhave installed under G83/1-1 Stage 1 would be 3.68kW. If the inverter had anefficiency of 92% then you could have a 4kW solar PV system installed and stillqualify, as 4kW x 92% = 3.68kW.

If you install a 4kW system you must have DNO appoval, thistakes approximately 6 weeks and costs £250.00. If there is more than oneinstallation locally its highly likely you'l be refused permission. Do notinstall and connect a system prior to having received approval or you could beserved with a disconnection notice.

Soinstall a 3.68kW system, don't risk installing oversized systems.

InSummary

Itsa lack of understanding of the DNO procedures by many solar PV companies andin the worst cases its mis-selling. The difference in yield between 3.68kW and4kW is negligible. If you want o increase your efficiency and returnsfit Micro Inverters.

Buy from reputable companies only, reputable companies publishtheir prices and system sizes.

I've checked out First4Solar, this company is part of the SolarEuropa group. They don't take deposit you pay after installation. The priceincludes structural survey and EPC certificate. Installations are Insured byHIES.

Regards

SolarSaving Expert :money:

Hereto Help!

Martyn1981 wrote: »

Mart.
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    Welcome to MSE. :wave:
    BEWARE OF MISLEADING INFORMATION
    You don't say.
    If you install a 4kW system you must have DNO appoval,
    True.
    thistakes approximately 6 weeks and costs £250.00.
    Really? Mine took less than two weeks.
    If you want o increase your efficiency and returnsfit Micro Inverters.
    Or invest in a SolarEdge system.
    Buy from reputable companies only
    Thanks, I'll make a note of that.
    I've checked out First4Solar, this company is part of the SolarEuropa group. They don't take deposit you pay after installation. The priceincludes structural survey and EPC certificate. Installations are Insured byHIES.
    Hmm. First-time poster endorsing a company... I'll reserve my judgement.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family