Direct debits after death

Options
I'm wondering if anybody has ideas for how to avoid the problem of bank accounts frozen on death. I found this difficult when my brother died a couple of years ago and realise my affairs are more complicated with so much on direct debit.

The obvious risk is that things like house insurance would not get paid and my increasing use of "cloud" based services would make life difficult for my executors if they were cancelled because of non-payment.

Thanks - Mike

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your executor would contact the companies involved to notify them of your death, stop any direct debits and make alternative arrangements for bills to be settled from your estate.
  • madbadrob
    madbadrob Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alternatively make someone a joint signatory on your account which would stop the account being frozen

Rob
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I'm wondering if anybody has ideas for how to avoid the problem of bank accounts frozen on death. I found this difficult when my brother died a couple of years ago and realise my affairs are more complicated with so much on direct debit.

The obvious risk is that things like house insurance would not get paid and my increasing use of "cloud" based services would make life difficult for my executors if they were cancelled because of non-payment.

Thanks - Mike

Plan your death in advance make sure someone will get notified and take over your finances as executor.

Make a will
    Make a list

paperless is a nightmare the systems do not work yet(one reson the need for the once a year paper.

Make sure your executor has the details to create the paper trail.

if you want to try an experiment

Pretend you died yesterday and try to do your own estate(but pretend you are the person that might end up doing it).

If you have a partner do each others
    If you don't trust them then that tells you something
    If they can't do it that telss you something else.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Your house insurance would no longer be valid anyway.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My mum's account stopped paying out all the DD's, so we got letters sent to her house saying DD hadn't worked.

We'd missed one company to inform of her death, so they sent us a letter. We then rang to inform of death.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • mike2481632
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I like the experiment idea so will try that.

I have emailed executors with details of assets.

I have opened free securesafe.com account.

Didn't know house insurance became invalid anyway.

Mike
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport