Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • TomsMom
    • By TomsMom 7th May 07, 11:29 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 13,043 Thanks
    TomsMom
    • 7th May 07, 11:29 PM
    • 7th May 07, 11:29 PM
    This happened on my Phillips steam generator iron too. Ours was still in guarantee so we took it back and got it replaced. I don't honestly know if it is "too dangerous" to use but we wouldn't take the chance. Check on how long your guarantee is, hopefully it's still covered.
  • Magentasue
    • 9th May 07, 5:32 PM
    • 9th May 07, 5:32 PM
    No, it's out of guarantee. OH insists it's quite safe because it's not plugged into the mains but I'm not so sure. That said, I don't want to have to buy another and I couldn't go back to a 'normal' iron.
    • TomsMom
    • By TomsMom 9th May 07, 11:25 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 13,043 Thanks
    TomsMom
    • 9th May 07, 11:25 PM
    • 9th May 07, 11:25 PM
    Not sure if I've got this right as electrics are not my forte but the flex that goes from the iron to the base should have two wires - one for delivering the steam and the other for heating the sole plate of the iron.

If the fabric covering slips down far enough for those wires to suffer any wear then firstly the wire delivering the steam could deliver the steam onto your arm which is bad enough and I dread to think what would happen if the other wire wears.

With all due respect to your OH, if it was me then I'd be telling him that if he feels it's safe then he can do the ironing from now on because I'm not happy with a flex in that state. I would be taking advice from Tefal customer services or someone that repairs electrical items or, better still, check out the cost of getting it put right.
  • Magentasue
    • 11th May 07, 6:46 PM
    • 11th May 07, 6:46 PM
    Thank you Tomsmum - I haven't been able to find anyone locally to repair or advise so will try Tefal. I'm expecting them to suggest a new iron ...
    • beaker141
    • By beaker141 11th May 07, 9:44 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    beaker141
    • 11th May 07, 9:44 PM
    • 11th May 07, 9:44 PM
    I called Tefal with an iron that broke, and they gave me a couple of options, along the lines of they will inspect and if deeemed to be a fault they will replace etc, if deemed to be me dropping it I pay for inspection etc, or quite a hefty discount off the price of a new product direct with them.

The we got a steam generator and paid substantially less than the price in Argos for instance.

The electrics in that cable are likely to be 240v dangerous stuff, because the soleplate of the iron is still heated up.

Give Tefal a call and suggest along the lines of a design fault, and how long should it last etc.
  • GaryS
    • 12th May 07, 4:29 AM
    • 12th May 07, 4:29 AM
    The same thing happened to our Tefal Steam Generator (luckily whilst under warranty) so it is obviously a common fault.

When we sent ours for repair via Comet, they lost it and eventually replaced it with a brand new one. (After some strong words regarding reasonable time etc).

Hopefully Tefal will sort it out as it looks to be a design issue.
  • Magentasue
    • 17th May 07, 9:48 PM
    • 17th May 07, 9:48 PM
    Well, have given up. Tefal customer service no help at all. Can't find anyone locally who even wants to look at it - not economical to repair, I'm told. So it's off to ebay. I hate thinking of such expensive toys being disposable.
    • jcorbygas
    • By jcorbygas 18th May 07, 3:22 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    jcorbygas
    • 18th May 07, 3:22 PM
    • 18th May 07, 3:22 PM
    My second Tefal steam generator has now packed up. The first one lasted about 3 years and now so has this one. The steam valve is stuck on open and it is now dangerous to use. (The flex is damaged as other peoples and has been for ages - definitely bad design.)
    Can anyone recommend another make of steam generator thats not as expensive or badly made, or a standard iron which has a large capacity steam facility.

Thanks
    Jackie
  • Magentasue
    This Rowenta was a Which? best buy. I was tempted but have gone for another Tefal from ebay. Hoping I won't regret it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,800Posts Today

7,358Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Why do some #CBB contestants feel the need to swear every other word. The power of profanity is in its rare shocking use. Its horrid.

• Quite right. It's terrible for the Olympic movement to play criminal on the trivial but trivial on the criminal https://t.co/Iv5wuBDy8P

• If not for 2wks away from m'baby, critters, food deprivation, 24hr filming & rep risk some tasks look ok! https://t.co/D5hka89h2c

• Follow Martin