Main site > Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > ''Amended duties'' advice please ! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
''Amended duties'' advice please !
Closed Thread
Views: 2,758
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Old 21-02-2013, 10:34 AM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 149
Thumbs up ''Amended duties'' advice please !

Hi everyone , i just need a question advising on , i am fulltime employed and been with my employer for 9-10 months.

I recently had a minor operation that should have had a quick recovery time and back to work but unfortunately i had a complication/infection which has now meant i cant do my usual role, my doctor advised me i would be able to work but with amended duties for 2 weeks +.

Upon telling my employer this information i was told there isnt a role with amended duties so i was bluntly told i have to either do my normal role ( which my doctor said i shouldnt do until i am fit ) or to stay at home on SSP.

Can they be this blunt ?? or do they have a duty to acknowledge my temporary situation and find me an amended role so at least i can earn a wage, i am paid weekly and have no savings, i live week to week and am stuck between trying to recover from my operation but feeling i have to go to work regardless !

thanks for looking .
DAREDEVIL78 is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 21-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,375

I think they can. Look at it from the employer's POV they are saying they can't split your role, and they could probably demonstrate this if pushed. They can either use your salary to replace you, or to pay you. What they can't do is to magically find extra money to pay you to do a job that (they claim) doesn't exist (the amended duties role) AND someone to do your work.

As you have been there less than 2 years they can sack you on any pretext. I would keep my head down, survive on SSP for a couple of weeks, and return to full work as quickly as possible. Sorry this is bad news (and I feel very sympathetic to you) but I think this is the real world answer
I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Trainingboards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of

jobbingmusician is offline
Report Post
# 3
Old 21-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 12,139

The GP's recommendations on a fit note, are just that - recommendations. The employer is under no obligation whatsoever to accommodate those recommendations, and if they are unable or unwilling to do so, you remain on sick leave until you are fit to return to your normal duties.

The exception to this may be if your illness amounts to a 'disability' within the meaning of the Equality Act, in which case the employer has a duty to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to return to work. Even then, the emphasis is on 'reasonable' and if the employer has no light duties to offer you, they are not obliged to create a job for you.

Also, as jobbingmusician has pointed out, until you have 2 years service, the employer can dismiss you for any reason or no reason at all, with no come-back, provided the reason is not related to unlawful discrimination (sex, race, age, disability).

So if your absence is disability related, you may have some extra protection, otherwise, you have very few rights at all.
I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.

Letter Before Claim from a parking company? DO NOT IGNORE - THE NEXT STEP IS COURT ACTION. See my thread (page 1 of the parking forum) and FIGHT BACK!
zzzLazyDaisy is offline
Report Post
# 4
Old 21-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,712

Do you have a staff health dept? These are the ones who can tell you to do amended duties. If you cannot fullfill your job role then I would think you should be on the sick. I have a operation on Saturday and cannot do my job role for 3 weeks, luckily for me I will get full sick pay. However I could do a sit down job after maybe 1 week on the sick but there isn't a role for me to do I wouldn't imagine. So its sick for 3 weeks.

If you feel you can do your job, and you are really the only one who can decide that then go back to work and be careful. If you cannot do your job its more sick im afraid. I understand your loss of earning, my son has just gone through that, had gastroenteritis and lost 4 days pay. Its a bummer.
All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
silkyuk9 is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:40 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 25 March 2015

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed


Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed