Royal Mail clarifying letter vs small packet for international post

Options
http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/OLPS%20Scheme%20-%20February%202013.pdf

Royal Mail are finally clarifying the small packet vs letter system, unfortunately for sellers of light items it's going to be a lot more expensive, as going by this document, items can only be sent as a letter internationally if they are less than 5mm thick.

I sell small items at 99p each and estimate about 15%-20% of my stuff goes abroad - which are about 6mm thick! - the vast majority are single items under 10g. Without the intermediate large letter that we have (which I use domestically, although other sellers of the same items seem to get away with the letter rate, but I like to post in padded envelopes so the items are properly protected against sorting machinery), it's going to mean a massive hike in postage prices for me, and a lot of lost sales as (understandably) people won't want to pay £3-4 for post on such a cheap item.

Just flagging it up as I only chanced upon this through a thread on the ebay coummunity thread when trying to find out information about the forthcoming Royal Mail price rises.

Comments

• newsaver40
    Options
    campdave wrote: »
    http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/OLPS%20Scheme%20-%20February%202013.pdf

going by this document, items can only be sent as a letter internationally if they are less than 5mm thick.

I sell small items at 99p each and estimate about 15%-20% of my stuff goes abroad - which are about 6mm thick!

Maybe i'm being naive, but wouldn't they just slip through with there only being a 1mm difference?
  • campdave
    campdave Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2013 at 11:45AM
    Options
    On current rates, I sell around 15 items per day internationally. Assuming they will be checking stringently to begin with, It might take 3 or 4 days for items to be returned to me for insufficient postage - in that time I could have sent out 60 more items with insufficent post, which I'd then have to cover at the higher rate.

They don't fit through the letter slot at the post office, but most of my items I just attach postage and stick them in the postbox to avoid the tedious arguing that it's eligible to go as a letter and that I shouldn't be charged as a packet.

I'm HOPING I can get away with it, but the risk to feedback and my pocket is pretty high.

What I'm hoping for (and I'm not holding my breadth) is that some lower wieght limit packet sizes will be introduced at the same time, as it seems ridiculous that a 10g item becomes 4 times more expensive to post the moment it turns from 5mm to 6mm.

It's posted as much for the benefit of others, as like I said, I only came across it by chance.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,298 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh bother, that is going to make a lot of my overseas sales too expensive now and some of mine are a mere smidgen thicker than allowed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • campdave
    Options
    Here's the thread on the ebay comnunity forum:

http://community.ebay.co.uk/topic/International-Trading/Letter-Vs-Packet/1700066876?start=192&ts=1361468505467#msg18007142650

The issue seems to be that there is not actual start date in the document, just says "February 2013" (and I've posted well over 200 items at letter rates this month with no issues) - my post office don't know anything about this document, and people on that thread who've had direct contact with Royal Mail don't know anything about it either.

So fingers to stay crossed for now!
  • soolin
    Options
    Here's the thread on the ebay comnunity forum:

http://community.ebay.co.uk/topic/International-Trading/Letter-Vs-Packet/1700066876?start=192&ts=1361468505467#msg18007142650

The issue seems to be that there is not actual start date in the document, just says "February 2013" (and I've posted well over 200 items at letter rates this month with no issues) - my post office don't know anything about this document, and people on that thread who've had direct contact with Royal Mail don't know anything about it either.

So fingers to stay crossed for now!
    I'm posting out my stuff at old rates tomorrow, but have just changed all my BIN auctions to reflect the higher charge.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • campdave
    Options
    The document was posted last week, and I've had several packages arrive in Europe that exceed the letter dimensions since the document was published. Until the dimensions on the Royal mail website change, I'm keeping my listings at letter rate postage.
  • soolin
    Options
    The document was posted last week, and I've had several packages arrive in Europe that exceed the letter dimensions since the document was published. Until the dimensions on the Royal mail website change, I'm keeping my listings at letter rate postage.

That does sound a logical stance to take.
  • soolin
    Options
    The discussion is still going on in the community boards on ebay. A number of people have been told this definitely starts today and have adjusted their prices accordingly- others say it doesn't because it is not a change as there has been no consultation.

Still unsure what to do, I sell so much overseas I don't want a couple of weeks worth failing to arrive before I realise I have a problem.

My mail centre know nothing about this, they say they are sorting by weight and stamps scanned cost as usual- and don't even have a facility to check otherwise. They have however stopped accepting unstamped airmail items over the counter for payment, so they believe 'something' has happened.

argghhhh
  • BigJonnyB
    Options
    Here in PO land we've heard nothing - so no change to our previous instructions.

I'd have thought this might well be changing at the counter when the RM tariffs change in April...
  • soolin
    Options
    BigJonnyB wrote: »
    Here in PO land we've heard nothing - so no change to our previous instructions.

I'd have thought this might well be changing at the counter when the RM tariffs change in April...

I suppose the question would be would you charge a customer for a letter rate if it was say an obvious 'packet' or do you count a letter as only something that looks like a letter?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure