MOT Type 1 aggregate

Options
Hi,

I'm thinking of ripping up my grassed from garden to make room for parking for 2 cars as the road is getting pretty busy.

I will be finishing the new driveway with gravel, but I understand that I first need to put a sub-base down, constructed of MOT Type 1.

My garden is 7m x 10m roughly and I want to dig out 15cm before filling with MOT, and whacking down to 12cm, then putting 20mm gravel on...

So I would need, around 10.5 cubic metres which I believe is around 20 tonnes.

Sounds like a lot, so my first question is, have I got this right?

Second question, does anyone know of a place in the Manchester or Cheshire area that sells if a a good price?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• macka0
    macka0 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Yep 20 tonne is about right,try and get a direct load from a quarry instead of using a builders merchants
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    speak to john rtk grab hire tell him Paul from A6 Windows put you onto him think there in bury and walkden i got mine from them .mot is just reclaimed brick/concrete .Failing that call the skip hire companies some crush bricks etc and resell
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    20t sounds OK. Conversion factor is always debatable (I use 2.2t/m3) but I'd order a 20t load as thats the cheapest way to buy it ( full tipper wagon loads - 6 wheel wagon approx 16t, 8 wheel wagon approx 20t ) and then top up with extra gravel if a little low
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    20mm is not enough gravel on top. Assuming you compact the type 1 when you drive over the top layer of gravel it will sink in and expose the type 1. You need a deeper layer of gravel to provide a longer lasting solution.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • inch_high
    inch_high Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cheers for the replies guys...

Kiran, I meant 20mm pieces, not 20mm thick :-)
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    speak to john rtk grab hire tell him Paul from A6 Windows put you onto him think there in bury and walkden i got mine from them .mot is just reclaimed brick/concrete .Failing that call the skip hire companies some crush bricks etc and resell

if you go the reclaimed route see if you can have a look at the stuff before you but as some of it is total carp and not fit to use. crushed concrete is usually good if you can get it. For 1 load I try for a good quarried type 1.
  • Stooby2
    Stooby2 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Options
    Check with your local authority as IIRC some types of new driveways must have drainage to stop run off into the road. I think you're OK with gravel but it would be worth checking to avoid any problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure