Is this some sort of scam?

Options
Rhymsta
Rhymsta Posts: 478 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Received this email:

Prefer this by text? Give your mobile number when you shop online. Find out more about Predict here
!
Your order will be delivered
31 January
Your order from (NAME OF SADDLERY COMPANY) will be delivered 31 January by DPD. Can you please ensure that someone will be available to sign for the parcel at:

*** My name and address*****

If you will not be in to receive the delivery and would like us to deliver your parcel/s to a neighbour instead, please click below.

Alternatively, if 31 January is not convenient, please click below to change the date.

You can track your order at any time by clicking below. From the morning of 31 January you will also be able to view your one hour delivery timeslot by clicking below.

We trust that you are happy with our service and thank you for your order.

(NAME OF SADDLERY COMPANY)

!Tweet your delivery experience!

!Like us on Facebook

The thing is I have no connection with horses and have definitely not ordered anything related to them.

There is nothing in the email to link back to the supposed order (as there would be if it was an Amazon order for example).

The address and email address are what is in my eBay business registration details - available to all.

Anyone else had anything similar?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,298 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes it is a scam, I don't know if I have had anything similar for a while as my spam filters are quite good.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • purple321
    purple321 Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dpd do send emails out like that, i've had orders from hawkins bazaar and kiddisave with that email, it's quite useful that they email and tell you the hour slot. But it could be a phishing email if you're not expecting anything. There is a saddlery shop ltd on ebay

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/thesaddleryshopltd/
  • Rhymsta
    Options
    Yes it does start off by asking if I prefer it by text and to give my mobile number if I do... Very Phissy...
  • purple321
    purple321 Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The genuine ones i've had have that at the top too though. Think you may have to just not click on anything and see if anything turns up!

If you hover your cursor over the tracking button or change time button does it show as https://www.dpd.co.uk at the beginning of the link? Cos my genuine ones do.
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    DPD do genuinely send out those texts and e-mails. That's the reason they're one of my favourite courier companies. The change the date thingy actually works, and they will stick another label on your parcel specifying a different date.

It'd be a pretty weird scam, as they aren't asking for any details, or requesting money.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Does it give a tracking number in the email?

If so you could type the DPD website address into your browser (not click on the link) and key in the tracking number to see if it's a genuine number
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Rhymsta
    Options
    Hovering over links doesn't do anything (I'm on a mac in safari - does that matter?).

There is no tracking number - just what's given in my original post.

Next to the Saddlery company name it has <yourorder@dpd.co.uk>

I'm itching to click something but will resist and see if a saddle or something turns up tomorrow LOL
  • preable
    preable Posts: 2,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Just google the email it was sent from. If its dpds email it should show up on there.
  • vending-expert
    Options
    If its been sent from yourorder@dpd.co.uk then i would say its most likely genuine
  • Rhymsta
    Options
    UPDATE:

DPD arrived and it turned out to be some toys I'd bought on eBay.

The seller had used their business name.

If they had just sent me a message via eBay this wouldn't have been a problem. Also the item wasn't marked as dispatched on eBay.

Just shows how important is is to keep your buyers informed...

I buy lots of similar stuff and would say that 90% of the time it just arrives with no documentation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure