Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • antonic
    • By antonic 25th Jan 13, 4:30 PM
    • 1,710 Posts
    • 2,516 Thanks
    antonic
    • 25th Jan 13, 4:30 PM
    • 25th Jan 13, 4:30 PM
    If you get an email from HMRC its fake, as staff arent permitted to communicate to external people for data security reasons, because email isnt a secure method of communication.
    LBM Sept 2005 spoke to Payplan - brilliant !
    Dec 2005 debt £21.959.64 + HBOS Int £1769.32
    June 2013 debt £0.00
    DF status confirmed by email 10/07/13
    DFW Long Hauler 297
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 25th Jan 13, 4:47 PM
    • 11,938 Posts
    • 221,627 Thanks
    mattytun
    • 25th Jan 13, 4:47 PM
    • 25th Jan 13, 4:47 PM
    You should ALWAYS have a separate email if you do banking and all things money online......
    Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 25th Jan 13, 4:59 PM
    • 11,938 Posts
    • 221,627 Thanks
    mattytun
    • 25th Jan 13, 4:59 PM
    • 25th Jan 13, 4:59 PM
    This may be useful.
    http://www.tvkim.com/watch/2555/kim-...-screen-shot-b
    Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!
    • travellingbum
    • By travellingbum 25th Jan 13, 7:19 PM
    • 20,762 Posts
    • 50,747 Thanks
    travellingbum
    • 25th Jan 13, 7:19 PM
    • 25th Jan 13, 7:19 PM
    "£244.79"

How much is that in nairas?
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 25th Jan 13, 11:11 PM
    • 16,589 Posts
    • 43,394 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    • 25th Jan 13, 11:11 PM
    • 25th Jan 13, 11:11 PM
    I had one from "HRMC" a few months ago, said i was due a tax refund, but figured a)i didnt think they'd contact me by email and b)they don't usually do refunds till april? Deleted it anyway
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 0lbs
    • Jivesinger
    • By Jivesinger 26th Jan 13, 12:52 AM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Jivesinger
    • 26th Jan 13, 12:52 AM
    What, never? No, never. What, never? Well, hardly ever...
    • 26th Jan 13, 12:52 AM
    Hmm. I actually don't believe the "HMRC never send emails" claim, as I have a few and I'm sure they're from HMRC.

I am registered for Self Assessment, and one of the details they collect is my email address; if they never send emails, why would they do this?!

Some of the emails I've received were sent just after I notified them of a change of address; and the emails were along the lines of "Thank you for notifying us of your change of address", so I'm pretty certain they're genuine.

The other emails were encouraging me to pay my tax return by Direct Debit, and I've looked carefully and all the links are genuine (and come with warnings not to actually follow the links without logging in separately first). None of the emails had personal details except some had a tortuous reference number that could probably used to track back in case of a query.

So it may be that HMRC don't tell people about tax refunds by email, but that's different from a blanket statement that they never send emails, which I'm sure is incorrect.
    • Jivesinger
    • By Jivesinger 26th Jan 13, 1:02 AM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Jivesinger
    • 26th Jan 13, 1:02 AM
    • 26th Jan 13, 1:02 AM
    Just found some confirmation that HMRC do send emails, on the HMRC website:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/contacts.htm

Self Assessment Online email alert

Each year HMRC sends emails reminding customers to file their Self Assessment returns. These emails never ask you to provide personal or financial information. The latest batch of emails will be sent from 10 December 2012 and include information relating to the Self Assessment Service.
    This quote on the MSE story is misleading in isolation as I'm pretty sure it's only correct in the context of emails about tax refunds. It's not correct when applied to any email from HMRC.
    "Anyone who receives an email claiming to be from HMRC should send it to phishing@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk before deleting it permanently."
    • Midnighter
    • By Midnighter 26th Jan 13, 9:12 AM
    • 6,992 Posts
    • 756,155 Thanks
    Midnighter
    • 26th Jan 13, 9:12 AM
    • 26th Jan 13, 9:12 AM
    Oops. I received one and deleted it before seeing that.
    Latest MSE Win: £5 (Bisto Dinners)

Latest Non-MSE Win: Parenthood DVD (Radio Times Extra)

Avatar Angel Seraphina painted by Julie L.
    • oldhand
    • By oldhand 26th Jan 13, 9:26 AM
    • 3,063 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    oldhand
    £245? has to be a scam,now the genuine one I received from my new friend in nigeria whose name im not allowed to divulge but I can tell you involves the transfer to my bank account of £2.5 million THATS genuine.
  • gb12345
    £245? has to be a scam,now the genuine one I received from my new friend in nigeria whose name im not allowed to divulge but I can tell you involves the transfer to my bank account of £2.5 million THATS genuine.
    Originally posted by oldhand
    Sorry to tell you this, but you are obviously being scammed. No one needs help transferring an amount that small. Anyway, must go, have to do a Western Union payment for the processing fee for my $90,000,000 unsecured loan from TOTALLY HONEST LENDERS INC LTD PLC. Not quite sure why they want me to send it to a man in India though.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 27th Jan 13, 12:42 PM
    • 5,504 Posts
    • 1,965 Thanks
    Pincher
    Free Money
    Dear tax payers,

As you may know, we have been printing money in the BOE in a clever manoeuvre we call Quantitative Easing. We intend to flood the economy with lots of money, so everyone has plenty to spend, thus getting the economy running again.

Unfortunately, our usual channels of bankers and other collaborators, stooges and snitches are not passing the money on to the general public, but keeping it in their own pockets, which is frustrating our efforts to revive the economy. We have therefore decided to distribute the funds directly to the general public.

To prove that you are not a foreign visitor who have not contributed to our grande nation, please provide as much information as you can, to facilitate our vetting process. We will need to debit a small sum from your bank account to make sure the account exists, so the money only goes to genuine UK accounts, so be sure to fill out the Direct Debit instruction at:

www.honestgov.co.uk/QE_R_Us

It is your patriotic duty to help us spend our way out of this recession. There are butchers, car mechanics, plumbers and many others who are desperate for the work you will generate with this money. so do not hesitate, and fill in the form ASAP.

Governor, Banc of Ingland
    What happens if you push this button?
    • emweaver
    • By emweaver 27th Jan 13, 5:01 PM
    • 8,224 Posts
    • 184,218 Thanks
    emweaver
    I have been receiving this emails for over a year and throughout the whole year not just now.
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
    • Fruit and Nut Case
    • By Fruit and Nut Case 27th Jan 13, 5:01 PM
    • 3,988 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    Fruit and Nut Case
    The use of the term fiscal activity in the phishing e-mail is a big giveaway. Definitely not HMRC language.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    • Cacran
    • By Cacran 28th Jan 13, 9:47 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    Cacran
    I had a phone call last week telling me that I was due a tax refund that I needed to claim. I had to press a number if I was interested and another number if I did not want to get anymore calls from them. I just chose to put the phone down. I have heard of scams where they tell you to press a number on keypad which then, somehow, scams you.
    Keep on trucking!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 31st Jan 13, 11:18 AM
    • 19,905 Posts
    • 82,140 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I had one today on their busiest day of the year (probably!) Somehow my email knew it was a fake and stuck it in trash.

HMRC state that they NEVER contact people about refunds by email. Just visit their scams page:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm

Letters ending "best regards" are also a bit of a giveaway!
    'When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.' Franklin Roosevelt
    • Jivesinger
    • By Jivesinger 1st Feb 13, 12:28 AM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Jivesinger
    HMRC state that they NEVER contact people about refunds by email. Just visit their scams page:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    But only a click away from that page (click on Genuine HMRC Contacts on that link), HMRC say they are currently sending out emails about ... you guessed it... refunds!

From http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/contacts.htm
    HMRC appreciate that you need to be able to confirm that any electronic contact you receive from them is genuine and to help you do this a list is provided below of the emails and texts (Secure Message Service (SMS)) that HMRC sends out.
    and further down the page...
    Current messages

EU VAT refund claim

HMRC will contact customers which have submitted an EU VAT refund claim that has failed the member state validation checks. HMRC will provide details on how to correct the claim in order to successfully re-submit it.

HMRC will contact customers who have used HMRC Online Services to register a company for VAT purposes. HMRC will be providing information on how to create a new Government Gateway account in order to file VAT returns and change registration details online.
    I think they actually say they'll never give out details about tax rebates by email rather than tax refunds, but I must admit that I don't know what the difference between the two is; they seem awfully similar to me as a non-tax expert.

Letters ending "best regards" are also a bit of a giveaway!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Well indeed! But I don't think you can rely on scammers always making this sort of mistake.

I don't think HMRC are consistent on this; it looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, which is no help to us as taxpayers.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 1st Feb 13, 7:21 AM
    • 19,905 Posts
    • 82,140 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I don't think HMRC are consistent on this; it looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, which is no help to us as taxpayers.
    Originally posted by Jivesinger
    Sometimes it is. Last year I had a fine of £100 refunded after I proved that info sent to me following an enquiry was totally wrong.

However, in 2010, the local office managed to lose my return and that was no fun!
    'When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.' Franklin Roosevelt
  • Fluffpuff
    I've had a letter from HMRC this morning saying Potential refund of National Insurance contributions. We have received your amended P14 and believe that the employee shown below (can't see any employee with that name from that period in the company payroll records) may be entitled to a refund for the tax years 2011/2012.

The HMRC address is:

Customer Operations
    National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
    CEPT Team, BP1001 - this doesn't match the address online
    Benton Park View
    Longbenton
    Newcastle upon tyne
    NE98 1ZZ

The telephone number is 0191 225 3498 - again doesn't match any phone number on their website and I always thought you have to ring the 0845 numbers for HMRC.

At the bottom of the second page is Russell Jackson, Temporary Deputy Director, NIC&EO?

Just seems a little strange. Can anyone tell me if this is an actual HMRC letter?
    Make extra money January 2013: £4.40 / £30
    Free bingo winnings 2013: £0 / Pay ALL debt in 2013 member 044: £854.44 / £3770 Lose 22lbs in 5 months: 0 / 22
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 6th Feb 13, 11:59 AM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 4,787 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    I've had a letter from HMRC this morning saying Potential refund of National Insurance contributions. We have received your amended P14 and believe that the employee shown below (can't see any employee with that name from that period in the company payroll records) may be entitled to a refund for the tax years 2011/2012.

The HMRC address is:

Customer Operations
    National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
    CEPT Team, BP1001 - this doesn't match the address online
    Benton Park View
    Longbenton
    Newcastle upon tyne
    NE98 1ZZ

The telephone number is 0191 225 3498 - again doesn't match any phone number on their website and I always thought you have to ring the 0845 numbers for HMRC.

At the bottom of the second page is Russell Jackson, Temporary Deputy Director, NIC&EO?

Just seems a little strange. Can anyone tell me if this is an actual HMRC letter?
    Originally posted by Fluffpuff
    Inputting that telephone number into Google brings up this as the second item, so it would appear that (the phone number at least) is genuine. But it is a Fax number.

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/contactus/view.page?record=yg7jCcYewik

It doesn't take much to do that yourself.
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,901Posts Today

5,434Users online

Martin's Twitter