Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > Marriott's 'Look No Further' best price guarantee (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Marriott's 'Look No Further' best price guarantee
Closed Thread
Views: 8,623
# 1
WOW Factor 0
GlennTheBaker
Old 30-04-2007, 9:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Marriott's 'Look No Further' best price guarantee

I know that quite a few of the big hotel chains offer a 'Best Price Guarantee' when booking directly through their own website but I thought I would post my experiences of putting Marriott's 'Look No Further' guarantee into practice.

The terms and conditions of the guarantee (click here) are fairly straightforward. When reserving rooms at hotels in the USA and Canada, there are very few restrictions as to which other providers you may use as a comparison. Outside the USA and Canada, you may only use providers which do not issue an accommodation voucher (either electronic or paper). Unfortunately, this wipes out the likes of find-rooms.com, DIY Travel, Hotel Pronto, etc. However, I have discovered that you can use Expedia and Ebookers and have had several claims agreed when using these as a comparison.

A couple of examples:-

I'm going to Toronto from 22-26 November and have booked the Marriott Eaton Centre hotel. The best rate on the Marriott website was CAD $229 per night + tax, which came to CAD $1044.34 in total including tax, approximately £458. www.find-rooms.com had the same deal for £283 in total, including taxes. I booked with Marriott and then submitted a claim under their 'Best Rate Guarantee'. They agreed the claim, matched the rate on find-rooms and then discounted it by 25%. The total for my reservation is now CAD $495.35, approximately £220.

I'm also going to be in Prague from 22-27 May 2007 (I'm getting married there ). I made two reservations at the Renaissance Prague hotel; one from 22-25 May and the other from 25-27 May. The reason for this is that Ebookers had a cheaper rate for the first 3 days, Expedia had the last 2 days cheaper. I submitted claims for both reservations, both were approved and I'm paying 160 Euro/night for the first 3 nights, including breakfast (the original reservation was 230 Euro/night, room only) and 85 Euro/night for the last 2 nights, room only (the original was 149 Euro/night, room only).

The thing that has impressed me is that although the room type must be the same, if the competitor site's rate includes breakfast and the rate on Marriott.com does not, they will take this into account when assessing your claim. Also, as the original reservation you make on Marriott.com is cancellable without charge, you can try your luck without worrying. The amended reservation is also cancellable without charge, meaning that if an even better rate comes up in the meantime, you can re-book and claim again to get it even cheaper.

I have no connection with Marriott, other than being a satisfied customer. I just thought that I may be able to help someone save a few quid.

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 08-05-2007 at 7:21 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GlennTheBaker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
dmg24
Old 30-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Great find Glenn! x
# 3
TBeckett100
Old 30-04-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Hmmm

Good spot Glenn, I was lookjing at this offer last night as I am booking the Marriott for the OH, but got stucvk with the voucher thingy. however expedia have a damn good rate 122!

As it is a non obligation booking I am gonna try my luck with this one then and see what happens! the 25% will be handy!
The Following User Says Thank You to TBeckett100 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
budgetflyer
Old 30-04-2007, 10:28 PM

I think with expedia it depends on the hotel booked as some are paid upfront and a voucher issued.

from expedia website
Quote:
Why have you not charged me for my hotel booking?
Updated: 05/10/05
Expedia.co.uk categorises its hotels as either being Expedia Special Rate (ESR) hotels or Non Expedia Special Rate (Non-ESR) hotels.
Expedia.co.uk takes full payment for ESR hotels at the time of booking.
If you book a Non-ESR hotel, payment will be taken by the hotel in line with its policy either when you check-in or when you check-out. The hotel will keep your credit card details as a guarantee against your reservation.

I believe possibly Bookings.com , Active hotels would qualify as a comparison too.

Nice one Glen -we could be back in action
Marys Meals has a simple ethos. We deliver food and hope.
By providing one good meal to hungry, impoverished children every school day, we are filling their empty bellies so they have the energy and opportunity to learn, which can be their escape route out of poverty in later life.
# 5
TBeckett100
Old 30-04-2007, 11:03 PM

Default marriott

just to see the how good they are i reserved a sat and sun night at 179EUR and 249EUR. On expedia.de (had to get an acccurate euro comparison) it was 179 and 169 EUROS with breakfast, so if Marriott match that rate, throw in the breakfast and give me another 25% off, I am staying in nothing less than a marriott whereever I go (except Barcelona where Stelios lends me a hotel).

Will keep you posted. I may even ask for an extra night!
# 6
TBeckett100
Old 01-05-2007, 10:08 AM

claim rejected as the room is 2m different, have rebooked and tried again. expedia calls it deluxe when it really is the basic room.
# 7
GlennTheBaker
Old 01-05-2007, 3:42 PM

Something I didn't point out in my original post is that where the Marriott.com rate is room only but the competitor rate includes breakfast, they will either:-

a. Knock off the price of breakfast and then reduce that rate by 25%.

or

b. Include breakfast and then reduce the rate by 25%.

They mostly seem to do the first option but I have some multiple-reservation stays for some of my guests in Prague where the first 2 nights include breakfast and the last 2 don't! It doesn't really matter but something to be aware of. I suppose if you requested on the claim form that you would like breakfast included, they may do that.

Just yesterday, a rate of 119 Euro (room only) appeared on Expedia.de for the last 2 nights of my stay in Prague. I booked the 2 nights again on Marriott.com (best available rate of 149 Euro, room only) and submitted a claim. It was agreed, my rate for those nights is now 85 Euro and I cancelled the original reservation for those nights
# 8
TBeckett100
Old 01-05-2007, 9:53 PM

just having a ganderoonie on ebay and the berlin marriott hold autions for weekend breaks, having checked the completed listings, 2 nights inc breakfast will be £130.00 on average which is very good so will hold out for that one. it says american breakfast, not sure if this differs
# 9
GlennTheBaker
Old 01-05-2007, 10:12 PM

Yeah, some of those auctions look rather tasty. The JW Marriott Grand Hotel in Bucharest could be had for not many £££'s a few months back.
# 10
TBeckett100
Old 02-05-2007, 3:33 PM

ten past eight ebay tonight thats where I am at.
# 11
GlennTheBaker
Old 02-05-2007, 3:47 PM

I went to Berlin last year and stayed at the Mövenpick (which was a really cool hotel). We walked past the Marriott on our way into the centre and it looked great.

Good luck on ebay!
# 12
grovenor
Old 02-05-2007, 3:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

that's brilliant! I never thought I'd get such a great tip for a (dare I say) posh brand! I've booked on marriott for a wedding I'm going to and sent in a claim cos it's 5 cheaper on ebookers and they throw in breakfast - lets see what they say!

Just a quick question tho - do you know what happens if it's not the whole stay that is cheaper? It is only the second two nights that are cheaper and the 1st is actually more expensive. I figure I can always cancel and book the nights separetely if that is the only way I'll get my 25% off but thought I'd try with the whole thing first.

thanks for the tip!
# 13
GlennTheBaker
Old 02-05-2007, 3:54 PM

Hi grovenor.

If one of the nights is more expensive on Ebookers, book that night separately (if possible) and just claim for the ones which are cheaper. If and when your claim has been agreed, simply ask Marriott Central Reservations to 'join' the 2 reservations together to prevent the need for you to check out and check in again mid-stay.
The Following User Says Thank You to GlennTheBaker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
GlennTheBaker
Old 03-05-2007, 5:19 PM

Another tip - make sure you compare the total cost of a stay as well as the individual nightly rate. Since my successful claim for the last 2 nights of my Prague trip, the Marriott site now lists the rate as 119 Euro which is the same as on Expedia.de. However, the Expedia rate includes tax, the Marriott rate does not so the Expedia rate is still cheaper!
# 15
TBeckett100
Old 03-05-2007, 5:22 PM

if you try and compare a rate that includes breakfast, marriott will match it against the rate that doesnt. If one night is cheaper, they will match the cheap rate for that night only and knock 25% of that night only and not the whole booking.
# 16
GlennTheBaker
Old 03-05-2007, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBeckett100 View Post
if you try and compare a rate that includes breakfast, marriott will match it against the rate that doesnt. If one night is cheaper, they will match the cheap rate for that night only and knock 25% of that night only and not the whole booking.
This is why a bit of detective work is needed prior to making the reservation. Plug your dates and hotel choice into Ebookers and Expedia. Sometimes (as I did) you will see that one has some of the nights cheaper than Marriott and sometime the other will. You should book the nights separately if necessary and submit claims accordingly depending on which of the competitors has the best rate for that night (or block of nights).

In my case, for my Prague trip, the dates from 22-25 May were cheaper on Ebookers and the 25-27 May were cheaper on Expedia. I made 2 reservations, submitted 2 claims and then, when the claims had been agreed, asked Marriott to join the 2 reservations together.
# 17
grovenor
Old 03-05-2007, 5:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

It worked! I got a rate of £99 without brekkie reduced to £79 with brekkie! bargain!

Also - I don't know if they did it by mistake but they have reduced all three nights that I'm staying rather than just the two that were cheaper elsewhere.... i'm not complaining! all my friends are jumping on the bandwagon now before they reduce the price on the website!

Thanks Mr Bakerman!
# 18
GlennTheBaker
Old 03-05-2007, 8:46 PM

Well done, grovenor!

Where and when are you staying?
# 19
Christal
Old 04-05-2007, 12:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well done Glenn and TBeckett, after EJH changed their T&C and obviously climb down on the price I have really start feeling bored as it's getting more and more difficult to find a good deal. But you have found a great project for me, off to find something in the autumn.
# 20
GlennTheBaker
Old 04-05-2007, 3:14 PM

Getting silly now - I noticed last night that the total price on www.find-rooms.com for my stay at the Marriott Eaton Centre in Toronto had gone down to £268 inclusive of all taxes. I re-booked my room on Marriott.com (at the best available rate of CDN $224 per night, average) and submitted a claim. I have received a reply which states my new rate is CDN $97.10 per night before tax, approx £44.12. The total cost of my stay, including tax, is now CDN $442.78, around £201.17 rather than the £464 if booking on Marriott.com only.
Closed Thread