PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Feeding a difficult vegetarian

Options
daisiegg
daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
edited 29 January 2013 at 5:37PM in Old style MoneySaving
Please help - drawing a complete blank!

My cousin and his wife from California are staying with us next week and she is a really fussy eater. She is also a vegetarian and lactose intolerant on top of that! (Although she takes some special pills to allow her to eat dairy products sometimes I think)

She dislikes most vegetables but definitely will not eat onions, peppers, mushrooms, aubergines or courgettes. Those are just the ones I remember, there may be more!

From memory I think she quite likes some green vegetables.

I have stayed with them before for a whole summer but for the life of me I can't remember what she ate - probably because it wasn't my problem! We ate out most of the time and usually at vegetarian or vegan restaurants. I do remember her eating macaroni cheese but that's it - and, s*d's law, I can't make that as I am allergic to dairy!

We are going out at least two of the nights they are staying but I need to think of at least three meals to cook, plus lunch and breakfast options.

HELP!!! :eek: :rotfl: please?!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• blossomhill_2
    Options
    Just contact her and ask what things she'd like to eat - she won't expect you to be a mindreader!
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    Just contact her and ask what things she'd like to eat - she won't expect you to be a mindreader!

I did ask both her and her husband when I saw them at the weekend - they told me what she DIDN'T eat but they didn't make any suggestions as to what she does eat! Despite me pressing them for an answer!

ETA actually she did say she likes fake bacon.......that was all she gave me!
  • emslovesmickey
    Options
    She's a vegetarian that doesn't like most vegetables? I can see why you are having trouble. Could you make salads? Or possibly wait until she is here then take her to the supermarket to choose things?
  • Carcluster
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian who eats virtually anything veggie (no thank you goat's cheese) - this must be a nightmare. I can understand the lactose issue if that is a medical reaction, but when you "choose" to restrict your diet in such a way that may open you up to lacking in certain food groups you have to be fairly flexibly if you value your health.
    As a youngster I used to hate salad - however when going veggie I just forced myself to eat it and before I knew it the blur between liking and putting up with disappears and hey-presto - love salad!
    Sorry that does n't solve your problem, but could be a conversational subject whilst you sneakily pop all of the vegetables she doesn't like underneath one she does!
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eggs, chip and beans? Mmm, just fancy that now...
  • Loobysaver
    Options
    Quorn bolognaise or chilli

Lentil shepherds pie
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    One of my best friends has a partner just like this. Aubergine, I am told is an absolute no no. But he sat and ate all the filling out of stuffed aubergines at a dinner party a coue of years ago while I tried hard not to smirk......he kept saying how delicious it was and what a shame I had put them in the aubergine shells......they were stuffed with aubergine.

To ease the week......any good vegetarian restaurants near you?
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    Here is a video that may give you a few ideas. - Just replace the main ingredient with beans !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
    ;)
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds a bit like a vegetarian friend of my brothers who was going to visit him a while ago. He and I spent ages on the phone trying to work out what he could cook for her, but a combination of her fussiness, her many allergies and his lack of cooking skills led him to a simple conclusion - "I'll get her a bag of carrots and she can cook them if she wants!"
    Hopefully your cooking skills are better than my brother's - his amounted to slapping some meat in a pan / on a fire and microwaving some veg/potatoes.

I'd do a tomato based pasta sauce for the first night, then take her shopping and include her in the food planning for the week. Pizza is good to make if you have a mix of carnivores and veggies, as each person can choose their own toppings so no-one feels left out, and you can use non dairy cheese where necessary. A veggie lasagne might also be good once you are sure of what vegetables she does like.

If it was me, I'd also be tempted to plan for a takeaway on one (or two!) of the nights you are eating in, just to reduce the number of meals you'd need to think up and cook.

Breakfasts for guests; I'd usually just make cereals and bread available with the usual accompaniments and they can help themselves to cereal and/or toast. If you want to provide a hot breakfast, consider porridge, though not everyone likes it.

For lunches I'd plan either veggie soup or sandwiches of some sort such as rolls, wraps or toasties - it's a bit chilly for salads! You could make up a giant batch of veggie soup to last a few days. Carrot and coriander is surprisingly nice and very easy to make. I like it a bit chunky, only partially blended, but you could make it smooth if you prefer, or even not blend it at all. Other nice veggie soups include leek and potato, butternut squash - add a bit of nutmeg for extra woomph, (I like it with a swirl of cream to make it really luxurious, but it's nice without) and a basic mixed veg soup - heavy on the root veg at this time of year.

If you don't fancy making soups from scratch, just buy them! They are visiting to see you, not to judge your cooking - or at least, I hope that's why they're visiting...
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Check if it isn't an anti-nightshade vegetable diet, as that discounts tomatoes as well.

Potatoes?

Sweet Potatoes?

Steamed squash?

Pasta filled with squash/pumpkin?

Pasta and pesto?

Pizza without cheese?

Green salad, walnuts and dairy free dressing?

Tofu stirfry?

Vegetable Tempura, rice and vegetarian miso soup (use veg stock, sake, mirin and soy instead of dashi stock)?

Fruit? Melon? Pineapple, strawberry and grape?

There's lots around. It's just not the things we would necessarily think of first.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family