Ancestry.co.uk

Options
I've only just registered for my free trial, but have received an email giving Premium membership for £5.00 per month for 4 months (£12.95 usually). Obviously you'll be charged £12.95 per month after that but you can cancel at any time so mark it in your calendar! I've checked the main website and it's available to anyone, not just email subscribers.

Comments

• 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    thanks - just what i need!!
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • sprogs
    sprogs Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't forget many libraries offer free access to Ancestry, even more of a bargain!
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    Options
    sprogs wrote: »
    Don't forget many libraries offer free access to Ancestry, even more of a bargain!

Does that include members connect though do you know?
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • butterflymum
    butterflymum Posts: 987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 January 2013 at 4:28PM
    Options
    As another route to consider, be aware that purchases of Family Tree Maker usually include temporary 1, 3 or 6 month subs to Ancestry (varying membership levels depending on version of FTM purchased). Often, these temporary subs work out better value than just purchasing an Ancestry sub, plus you will also have a family tree software programme as well.

Some versions of FTM are also available to purchase via Tesco Clubcard deals, which again me be a good option for some. eg http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=1656

And a reminder that Ancestry appears on Quidco, Top Cashback etc, so consider going such sites to achieve potential money back. eg http://www.quidco.com/ancestry-co-uk/

Look out too for possible savings via National Trust membership if you already hold same. http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/shop/products-we-recommend/leisure-and-lifestyle/ancestry/
    butterfly )i(
  • sprogs
    sprogs Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options

I don't know I am afraid. I started off with a free trial then when that ended used the library service and used my account. We are limited to an hour on the computers at the library, longer if it is quiet. But I am fortunate to live close to the National Archives so go there if I want a mammoth genealogy session, and get so much more done away from the house!
  • hogshead
    hogshead Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    Options
    Bought family tree maker for my daughter's birthday but she just isn't getting on with it at all.
  • butterflymum
    Options
    hogshead wrote: »
    Bought family tree maker for my daughter's birthday but she just isn't getting on with it at all.

That's a pity....if she is keen on Family History, hopefully this will not put her off. Perhaps she would get on with a different programme better. There are lots out there to try, either for purchase or for free. As with most things, some programmes will suit one person more than another, depending on their style of research, method of applying the finds, and needs in respect of sharing/storing info for current/future generations..
    butterfly )i(
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hogshead wrote: »

Useful software as it includes 6 months of Ancestry access for free! I have found it really good for keeping organisedand for importing results as it drags in suggestions from Ancestry.

Anon
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options

No, but try https://www.mundia.com ( it is provided by ancestry.com and has member trees on it and you can contact them)
  • meerustar
    meerustar Posts: 8,560 Forumite
    Options
    I love Ancestry and would be lost without it. On Saturday I spoke to my cousin who I never knew existed, and found loads out about a side of my family we never knew. We are keeping in touch and sending photos back and forth, so worth every penny to me :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure