IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Need not Want.
Views: 55,997
# 1
365days
Old 29-12-2012, 5:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Need not Want.

Hello,

It seems to me that if I could just keep to buying what I need rather than what I want I would have my finances and debts well and truly under control. So I am sat here asking myself what I NEED and actually it isn't a lot. I don't actually need to buy anything before 2013.

I will need petrol and I do need to pay my car insurance.(Need car for work) I will need food but am determined to buy only what I actually need. Maybe people would like to add what they actually need for the next few days/weeks etc and it may help others to work out the difference between their wants and needs. Therefore being ultra

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 12-02-2013 at 4:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to 365days For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
weeble3
Old 29-12-2012, 6:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i Dont actually need anything...oh maybe a curtain rail and some curtains for my daughters bedroom and electric blankets before next winter....may need new fencing at back of house but can wait got a hole in but not falling down.
I have got all these debts though to pay:

capital one £1000
bank loan £1000
bank loan £2900
barclaycard £2700
so more than enough to pay off.

I also start a new job which is quite a long way away term time only so unsure how much the childcare/wages are going to be over term

hoping to get the capital one paid off first/then bank loanthen work on barclaycard.

I also have started putting away some money for christmas next year as borrowed £1000 to see me through xmas this year. Hoping to save more and spend less. Which is new for me.

Last edited by weeble3; 29-12-2012 at 6:06 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to weeble3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Buffett
Old 29-12-2012, 6:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi 365days, I've been asking myself the same questions a lot recently. Do I NEED the Sky Movies package? Can I reduce the number of bank & card accounts I have? Do I need to upgrade my smartphone every 2 years - how much would I save on a tariff if I didn't? What stuff do I have that I never use and could sell or give to charity? Should I downsize the car to get one cheaper to insure and run (also saving on depreciation)?

It is so sad that we have to get ourselves into trouble before we start asking these questions ...
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Buffett For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
365days
Old 29-12-2012, 6:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Do you not have any curtains at the moment? You can rig up a cheap 'curtain' with a bit of dowling and a cheapy fleece blanket.

Not sure about making your own electric blankets though
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 365days For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
365days
Old 29-12-2012, 6:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffett View Post
Hi 365days, I've been asking myself the same questions a lot recently. Do I NEED the Sky Movies package? Can I reduce the number of bank & card accounts I have? Do I need to upgrade my smartphone every 2 years - how much would I save on a tariff if I didn't? What stuff do I have that I never use and could sell or give to charity? Should I downsize the car to get one cheaper to insure and run (also saving on depreciation)?

It is so sad that we have to get ourselves into trouble before we start asking these questions ...
I agree, when it boils down to it we actually need very little. I am reading abook at the moment about post war Britain. It is amazing just how consumerism/marketing etc has got us by the throat. So if i may say - no you don't need sky, or a super dupe phone, or a bigger car. It really is a want. I am going to only buy what I need this year (2013)and see how well I do.

So my first 'I didn't buy it because I only wanted it didn't need it' was today, when I put back a tablecloth in the sales. £6 of WANT saved.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to 365days For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
jobdone1
Old 29-12-2012, 7:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would rather not have the need for direct debits, However we are kind of forced to have them or pay more. It really depends on what the needs are like wise for the wants. I.e i want gas and electric to keep warm and bright but i don't need dd's however i won't be forced to pay more.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jobdone1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
weeble3
Old 29-12-2012, 7:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365days View Post
Do you not have any curtains at the moment? You can rig up a cheap 'curtain' with a bit of dowling and a cheapy fleece blanket.

just blinds , just one room without a curtain rail and curtain.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to weeble3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
weeble3
Old 29-12-2012, 7:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
I agree, when it boils down to it we actually need very little. I am reading abook at the moment about post war Britain. It is amazing just how consumerism/marketing etc has got us by the throat. So if i may say - no you don't need sky, or a super dupe phone, or a bigger car. It really is a want. I am going to only buy what I need this year (2013)and see how well I do.

So my first 'I didn't buy it because I only wanted it didn't need it' was today, when I put back a tablecloth in the sales. £6 of WANT saved.
whats the book called you are reading could do with getting back to basics as sure its getting tougher to survive. I am joining you on the need not wants 2013.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to weeble3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
rising from the ashes
Old 29-12-2012, 8:22 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I'm on a strict need not want thing for 2013 .... need to get rid of the pesky OD and there's not a lot of wiggle room in the budget so will have to be done by spending less!

I'm trying not to impulse buy I do a lot of shopping online (long way to shops so fuel is often much more than delivery costs) - so if I find something, I'm not going to buy it that day ... it has to wait until the next day and if I still want need it and it's still there ... it's meant to be!
Starting again - back on the frugal MSE journey
Groceries & Toiletries: Annual £2080
CCP claim success!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
FireWyrm
Old 29-12-2012, 8:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:

You can also make your own curtains. There are hundreds of 'how to's on the internet and it isnt rocket science. A general rule of thumb is 2.5 times the width and 0.5 times the height of the window. Depending on the material you want, you could pay as little ast £2.50 per meter and run them up yourself. Dont forget to line them with heavy cotton for the best insulation in winter.

Cheap, beautiful and totally bespoke.

BTW, I got this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forgotten-Sk...6813869&sr=8-1) as a Christmas present this year and all I can say...get one...right now. I've always wanted to try making my own prosciuto, but had no idea how. This is the book for 2013 and making do without buying.
Debt free by Aug 15 or bust. Outstanding debt £11,397 £9550
Meet my new best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
My other best friend is a filofax.
Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

Last edited by FireWyrm; 29-12-2012 at 8:46 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to FireWyrm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Wobblydeb
Old 29-12-2012, 9:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Maybe people would like to add what they actually need for the next few days/weeks etc and it may help others to work out the difference between their wants and needs. Therefore being ultra
Hmmmmmm interesting one, because I've got a few "needs" at the moment, that strictly speaking are "wants".

- New wellies (the last pair died - realistically I could continue using my walking boots for dog walking)

- New winter coat (the current one has clicks and a torn lining - realistically I could repair it and keep going)

- New suit and shirts for work (I'm going through a wardrobe rethink, and have just donated a couple of suits! tsk tsk)

But at least I'll get them from an outlet at a heavy discount.
I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Save £12k in 2012: 14,250 / 12,000
Save £12k in 2013: 4,425 / 12,000
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wobblydeb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
kittiej
Old 29-12-2012, 9:08 PM

Ooo-oo-oo FireWyrm I want, I want.

Thanks for this little gem, I'll put it on my bd list for Jan or maybe wedding anniversary pressy which is Feb.

Still thinking positive thoughts for you and you've given me this gift- ty

Please universe give FW a break in 2013
Sealed pot challenge member number 18
Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
"It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
1 debt v 100 days £2000
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kittiej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
FireWyrm
Old 29-12-2012, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiej View Post
Ooo-oo-oo FireWyrm I want, I want.

Oh dear! I seem to have missed the purpose of this thread....oops.

Now, does this book come under need or want I wonder?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FireWyrm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
kittiej
Old 29-12-2012, 9:39 PM

OK, I need, I need one lol
Sealed pot challenge member number 18
Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
"It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
1 debt v 100 days £2000
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kittiej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
ITYIYBMAB
Old 29-12-2012, 10:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWyrm View Post
A general rule of thumb is 2.5 times the width and 0.5 times the height of the window.
Err.. are you absolutely sure the curtains should be half the height of the windows? Seems a little gappy
“D’you know what a loser is?
A real loser is someone who’s so afraid of not winning, they don’t even try.”

Grandpa Hoover
Little Miss Sunshine
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ITYIYBMAB For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
FireWyrm
Old 29-12-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITYIYBMAB View Post
Err.. are you absolutely sure the curtains should be half the height of the windows? Seems a little gappy
Typo. I meant 1.5...although it depends on your preference for drop and how far above the windows you have the pole.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FireWyrm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
MrsM1982
Old 29-12-2012, 10:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi everyone,

I need to live by this rule for 2013!!!

I have 3 children age 6, 3 and 4 month and they had so many toys for Christmas and they already have loads to. They just ended up with so much that they didn't know what to play with and I don't think they appriated it. So I've already decided that next year will be different, I've got a lot of debt to get rid of and I don't want spoilt kids!!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MrsM1982 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
julie2710
Old 30-12-2012, 8:54 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Feeling the same. I think for a while now I've had things I wanted not necessarily what I need. Was fine when there was two incomes and no children but now with one income and two children it doesn't work.

Problem with me is when I'm feeling fed up I buy stuff so from now on I'm going to come on here instead!
MBNA £2,029 £1,145 Virgin £8,712 £7,957 Sainsbury £6,870 £5,575 M&S £10,016 £9,690 Barclaycard £11,951 £11,628 CTC £7,629 £6,789 Mortgage £182,828 £171,670
LBM Dec12 excl mort 47,207/42,784 Dec13
Excl mortg and CTC 39,578/35,995 Dec13
Incl mortg 230,035/214,454 Dec13

Extra payment a week:this week £0 / YTD£1,457.55
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to julie2710 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
julie2710
Old 30-12-2012, 9:32 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have just realised I need to go the supermarket today and this is always a bit dangerous for me so I am going to put here what I need!

Milk 2 pints
Bread 1 loaf
Chicken wings (for the dog)
Some form of potato shapes/chips
Coffee
Hot chocolate
Some form of chicken nuggets (for the boys)

Ok that's is all I need! I will have the boys with me which should help limit the time spent in there and therefore the risk factor!
I'll see how I get on!
MBNA £2,029 £1,145 Virgin £8,712 £7,957 Sainsbury £6,870 £5,575 M&S £10,016 £9,690 Barclaycard £11,951 £11,628 CTC £7,629 £6,789 Mortgage £182,828 £171,670
LBM Dec12 excl mort 47,207/42,784 Dec13
Excl mortg and CTC 39,578/35,995 Dec13
Incl mortg 230,035/214,454 Dec13

Extra payment a week:this week £0 / YTD£1,457.55
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to julie2710 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
365days
Old 30-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie2710 View Post
I have just realised I need to go the supermarket today and this is always a bit dangerous for me so I am going to put here what I need!

Milk 2 pints
Bread 1 loaf
Chicken wings (for the dog)
Some form of potato shapes/chips
Coffee
Hot chocolate
Some form of chicken nuggets (for the boys)

Ok that's is all I need! I will have the boys with me which should help limit the time spent in there and therefore the risk factor!
I'll see how I get on!
This is exactly what i did yesterday. I know it probably seems obvious but to me it was a bit of a revelation but i wrote a list and only actually needed 7 items. Shop came to just over £10 which is unheard of when I go to the supermarket. Only item I added was fabric conditioner which was on special offer and knew I would NEED it at some point.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 365days For This Useful Post: Show me >>