Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    365days
    Need not Want.
    • 29th Dec 12, 5:58 PM
    Need not Want. 29th Dec 12 at 5:58 PM
    Hello,

It seems to me that if I could just keep to buying what I need rather than what I want I would have my finances and debts well and truly under control. So I am sat here asking myself what I NEED and actually it isn't a lot. I don't actually need to buy anything before 2013.

I will need petrol and I do need to pay my car insurance.(Need car for work) I will need food but am determined to buy only what I actually need. Maybe people would like to add what they actually need for the next few days/weeks etc and it may help others to work out the difference between their wants and needs. Therefore being ultra

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 12-02-2013 at 4:12 PM.
    Hi, weve had to remove your signature. If youre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
Page 1
  • weeble3
    • 29th Dec 12, 6:04 PM
    • 29th Dec 12, 6:04 PM
    i Dont actually need anything...oh maybe a curtain rail and some curtains for my daughters bedroom and electric blankets before next winter....may need new fencing at back of house but can wait got a hole in but not falling down.
    I have got all these debts though to pay:

capital one 1000
    bank loan 1000
    bank loan 2900
    barclaycard 2700
    so more than enough to pay off.

I also start a new job which is quite a long way away term time only so unsure how much the childcare/wages are going to be over term

hoping to get the capital one paid off first/then bank loanthen work on barclaycard.

I also have started putting away some money for christmas next year as borrowed 1000 to see me through xmas this year. Hoping to save more and spend less. Which is new for me.
    Last edited by weeble3; 29-12-2012 at 6:06 PM.
  • Buffett
    • 29th Dec 12, 6:31 PM
    • 29th Dec 12, 6:31 PM
    Hi 365days, I've been asking myself the same questions a lot recently. Do I NEED the Sky Movies package? Can I reduce the number of bank & card accounts I have? Do I need to upgrade my smartphone every 2 years - how much would I save on a tariff if I didn't? What stuff do I have that I never use and could sell or give to charity? Should I downsize the car to get one cheaper to insure and run (also saving on depreciation)?

It is so sad that we have to get ourselves into trouble before we start asking these questions ...
  • 365days
    • 29th Dec 12, 6:35 PM
    • 29th Dec 12, 6:35 PM
    Do you not have any curtains at the moment? You can rig up a cheap 'curtain' with a bit of dowling and a cheapy fleece blanket.

Not sure about making your own electric blankets though
    Hi, weve had to remove your signature. If youre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • 365days
    • 29th Dec 12, 6:41 PM
    • 29th Dec 12, 6:41 PM
    Hi 365days, I've been asking myself the same questions a lot recently. Do I NEED the Sky Movies package? Can I reduce the number of bank & card accounts I have? Do I need to upgrade my smartphone every 2 years - how much would I save on a tariff if I didn't? What stuff do I have that I never use and could sell or give to charity? Should I downsize the car to get one cheaper to insure and run (also saving on depreciation)?

It is so sad that we have to get ourselves into trouble before we start asking these questions ...
    Originally posted by Buffett
    I agree, when it boils down to it we actually need very little. I am reading abook at the moment about post war Britain. It is amazing just how consumerism/marketing etc has got us by the throat. So if i may say - no you don't need sky, or a super dupe phone, or a bigger car. It really is a want. I am going to only buy what I need this year (2013)and see how well I do.

So my first 'I didn't buy it because I only wanted it didn't need it' was today, when I put back a tablecloth in the sales. 6 of WANT saved.
  • jobdone1
    • 29th Dec 12, 7:14 PM
    • 29th Dec 12, 7:14 PM
    I would rather not have the need for direct debits, However we are kind of forced to have them or pay more. It really depends on what the needs are like wise for the wants. I.e i want gas and electric to keep warm and bright but i don't need dd's however i won't be forced to pay more.
  • weeble3
    • 29th Dec 12, 7:20 PM
    • 29th Dec 12, 7:20 PM
    Do you not have any curtains at the moment? You can rig up a cheap 'curtain' with a bit of dowling and a cheapy fleece blanket.

Originally posted by 365days
    just blinds , just one room without a curtain rail and curtain.
  • weeble3
    • 29th Dec 12, 7:22 PM
    • 29th Dec 12, 7:22 PM
    I agree, when it boils down to it we actually need very little. I am reading abook at the moment about post war Britain. It is amazing just how consumerism/marketing etc has got us by the throat. So if i may say - no you don't need sky, or a super dupe phone, or a bigger car. It really is a want. I am going to only buy what I need this year (2013)and see how well I do.

So my first 'I didn't buy it because I only wanted it didn't need it' was today, when I put back a tablecloth in the sales. 6 of WANT saved.
    whats the book called you are reading could do with getting back to basics as sure its getting tougher to survive. I am joining you on the need not wants 2013.
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 29th Dec 12, 8:22 PM
    • 12,236 Posts
    • 59,061 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    • 29th Dec 12, 8:22 PM
    • 29th Dec 12, 8:22 PM
    I'm on a strict need not want thing for 2013 .... need to get rid of the pesky OD and there's not a lot of wiggle room in the budget so will have to be done by spending less!

I'm trying not to impulse buy I do a lot of shopping online (long way to shops so fuel is often much more than delivery costs) - so if I find something, I'm not going to buy it that day ... it has to wait until the next day and if I still want need it and it's still there ... it's meant to be!
    Back on the frugal MSE journey
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #76 375 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 350.28 / 1,000
  • FireWyrm

You can also make your own curtains. There are hundreds of 'how to's on the internet and it isnt rocket science. A general rule of thumb is 2.5 times the width and 0.5 times the height of the window. Depending on the material you want, you could pay as little ast 2.50 per meter and run them up yourself. Dont forget to line them with heavy cotton for the best insulation in winter.

Cheap, beautiful and totally bespoke.

BTW, I got this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forgotten-Skills-Cooking-time-honoured-recipes/dp/1856267881/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356813869&sr=8-1) as a Christmas present this year and all I can say...get one...right now. I've always wanted to try making my own prosciuto, but had no idea how. This is the book for 2013 and making do without buying.
    Last edited by FireWyrm; 29-12-2012 at 8:46 PM.
    Debt free by Christmas 2015 or bust. Outstanding debt 11,397 9550 8690 7638 6300
    Meet my new best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

• Wobblydeb
    Maybe people would like to add what they actually need for the next few days/weeks etc and it may help others to work out the difference between their wants and needs. Therefore being ultra
    Hmmmmmm interesting one, because I've got a few "needs" at the moment, that strictly speaking are "wants".

- New wellies (the last pair died - realistically I could continue using my walking boots for dog walking)

- New winter coat (the current one has clicks and a torn lining - realistically I could repair it and keep going)

- New suit and shirts for work (I'm going through a wardrobe rethink, and have just donated a couple of suits! tsk tsk)

But at least I'll get them from an outlet at a heavy discount.
    I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
  • kittiej
    Ooo-oo-oo FireWyrm I want, I want.

Thanks for this little gem, I'll put it on my bd list for Jan or maybe wedding anniversary pressy which is Feb.

Still thinking positive thoughts for you and you've given me this gift- ty

Please universe give FW a break in 2013
    Sealed pot challenge member number 18
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
    "It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
    1 debt v 100 days 2000
  • FireWyrm
    Ooo-oo-oo FireWyrm I want, I want.
    Originally posted by kittiej

Oh dear! I seem to have missed the purpose of this thread....oops.

Now, does this book come under need or want I wonder?
    Debt free by Christmas 2015 or bust. Outstanding debt 11,397 9550 8690 7638 6300

• kittiej
    OK, I need, I need one lol
    Sealed pot challenge member number 18
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
    "It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
    1 debt v 100 days 2000
    • ITYIYBMAB
    • By ITYIYBMAB 29th Dec 12, 10:20 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 23,076 Thanks
    ITYIYBMAB
    A general rule of thumb is 2.5 times the width and 0.5 times the height of the window.
    Originally posted by FireWyrm
    Err.. are you absolutely sure the curtains should be half the height of the windows? Seems a little gappy
    Dyou know what a loser is?
    A real loser is someone whos so afraid of not winning, they dont even try.

Grandpa Hoover
    Little Miss Sunshine
  • FireWyrm
    Err.. are you absolutely sure the curtains should be half the height of the windows? Seems a little gappy
    Originally posted by ITYIYBMAB
    Typo. I meant 1.5...although it depends on your preference for drop and how far above the windows you have the pole.

• MrsM1982
    Hi everyone,

I need to live by this rule for 2013!!!

I have 3 children age 6, 3 and 4 month and they had so many toys for Christmas and they already have loads to. They just ended up with so much that they didn't know what to play with and I don't think they appriated it. So I've already decided that next year will be different, I've got a lot of debt to get rid of and I don't want spoilt kids!!
  • julie2710
    Feeling the same. I think for a while now I've had things I wanted not necessarily what I need. Was fine when there was two incomes and no children but now with one income and two children it doesn't work.

Problem with me is when I'm feeling fed up I buy stuff so from now on I'm going to come on here instead!
    MBNA 2,029 1,145 Virgin 8,712 7,957 Sainsbury 6,870 5,575 M&S 10,016 9,690 Barclaycard 11,951 11,628 CTC 7,629 6,789 Mortgage 182,828 171,670
    LBM Dec12 excl mort 47,207/42,784 Dec13
    Excl mortg and CTC 39,578/35,995 Dec13
    Incl mortg 230,035/214,454 Dec13

Extra payment a week:this week 0 / YTD1,457.55
  • julie2710
    I have just realised I need to go the supermarket today and this is always a bit dangerous for me so I am going to put here what I need!

Milk 2 pints
    Bread 1 loaf
    Chicken wings (for the dog)
    Some form of potato shapes/chips
    Coffee
    Hot chocolate
    Some form of chicken nuggets (for the boys)

Ok that's is all I need! I will have the boys with me which should help limit the time spent in there and therefore the risk factor!
    I'll see how I get on!
    MBNA 2,029 1,145 Virgin 8,712 7,957 Sainsbury 6,870 5,575 M&S 10,016 9,690 Barclaycard 11,951 11,628 CTC 7,629 6,789 Mortgage 182,828 171,670
    LBM Dec12 excl mort 47,207/42,784 Dec13
    Excl mortg and CTC 39,578/35,995 Dec13
    Incl mortg 230,035/214,454 Dec13

Extra payment a week:this week 0 / YTD1,457.55
  • 365days
    I have just realised I need to go the supermarket today and this is always a bit dangerous for me so I am going to put here what I need!

Milk 2 pints
    Bread 1 loaf
    Chicken wings (for the dog)
    Some form of potato shapes/chips
    Coffee
    Hot chocolate
    Some form of chicken nuggets (for the boys)

Ok that's is all I need! I will have the boys with me which should help limit the time spent in there and therefore the risk factor!
    I'll see how I get on!
    Originally posted by julie2710
    This is exactly what i did yesterday. I know it probably seems obvious but to me it was a bit of a revelation but i wrote a list and only actually needed 7 items. Shop came to just over 10 which is unheard of when I go to the supermarket. Only item I added was fabric conditioner which was on special offer and knew I would NEED it at some point.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,639Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin