tumble dryer in garage?

Options
Help!
Daughter just moved into new house and was going to get a tumble dryer and put in garage, there is already a hole for a vented dryer and thats where previousl person had theirs...

However, have just stumbled across this on Appliances Online where someone asked about venting from a garage:

I am afraid AEG vented tumble dryers like the T65170AVcannot be stored in garages unless the ambient temperature of the garage does not go below 10°C. This is because cold temperatures can cause the extracted water vapour to condense and freeze damaging the machine. Storing this machine in your garage can also unfortunately invalidate your warranty.

Has anyone experienced this problem and has anyone had an engineer round to a tumble dryer in a garage during a warantee period and been told its invalidated the guarantee.

Obviously we can go for a condensor but they seem to be generally dearer to buy and for all I know you arent allowed by manufacturers to put these in a garage either...

Help!
Hilary.

Comments

• newbie1980
    newbie1980 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ive had mine in a garage for nigh on 10 yrs touch wood with no probs
  • Martyn_H
    Martyn_H Posts: 457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same here..
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ditto......
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yup, me too, My oh cut a round hole at the front side, put the hose there and made a little flap to shut down as soon as its finished,
    but we've had one in there for 23 years without a problem.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Had mine OUTSIDE for 10 years- no probs.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Mine has been in an unheated utility off the garage for 20 years it can get pretty chilly out there in winter we have never had a problem with it freezing. We also have a washer and a freezer in there I know freezers are not recommended to be stored in low temps but again it's been there a long time and no issues.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A condensor dryer is more likely to freeze in a garage as it keeps water within itself in pipework.. Ours did last year
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    A condensor dryer is more likely to freeze in a garage as it keeps water within itself in pipework.. Ours did last year

MSE answer is to avoid a nice new shiny expensive condensing drier, (clue; it doesn't need to shine in the garage), and buy a S/H basic machine that will be cheaper, say 1/3 price, and work perfectly in that environment.

If you really want to get energy savings out of it run the extraction pipe all the way round the garage in an ever falling drain, to get every n'th degree of heat energy back into the garage :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport