Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales > how long does second class mail usually take? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
how long does second class mail usually take?
Closed Thread
Views: 97,542
# 1
linzi1978
Old 23-04-2007, 5:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default how long does second class mail usually take?

Hiya
does anyone know how long a second class parcel should take to arrive? I ordered some stuff from ebay, and it says on the item details that the goods were sent on 17th april second class?

linzi
# 2
Butlers1982
Old 23-04-2007, 5:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...ediaId=3500019

See the answer to question one
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butlers1982 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
gr8thingshappen
Old 23-04-2007, 5:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hey
Should have really been with you now? The royal mail site says this

"Overview Millions of people use Second Class mail every day to send Letters, Packets and other small items. It costs just 24p for Letters and small items weighing up to 100g. We aim to deliver your mail by the third working day after posting.Key features Easy to use and affordable, from just 24p."

If it was 2nd class recorded get the tracking number - otherwise get the seller to fill in a claim for compensation which is covered for up to 10x cost of the stamp so £24.00.

Hope that helps
The Following User Says Thank You to gr8thingshappen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
jasmineswhiskers
Old 23-04-2007, 5:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

1-3 days. I've had loads of things i've sent arrive next day. Don't know if posting first thing in the morning makes a difference. I suppose it gets on it's way a little quicker so maybe it does.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasmineswhiskers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
soolin
Old 23-04-2007, 5:49 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The seller can't start a claim for loss until 15 working days (3 weeks normally) have elapsed as despite what RM say about second class mail, they do not consider it lost until then.

However, after 7 days from payment the buyer can start a paypal chargeback, although I would certainly only go down that route after getting well into the second week and only then if the seller doesn't offer a refund as a matter of course.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
linzi1978
Old 23-04-2007, 5:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

do you think I should email seller first asking if I should gave received it then?
the seller has really good feedback with most saying that delivery was super fast!
Cabbage: A familiar kitchen/garden vegetable about as large and wise as a man's head. - Ambrose Bierce

<8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8>

Started comping again Oct 2007
Wins so far :-
Cast iron book stand for kitchen (local radio comp)
Official review 0f 2007 TT Races book
4 tickets to crealy devon
# 7
greenstreetprince
Old 23-04-2007, 5:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

you should definitely contact the seller, it eradicates confusion, otherwise you'll just sit there coming up with theories pumped into your head by everyone here at MSE!!

by the way, the maximum compensation is £34 and not £24 as someone remarked earlier.
The Following User Says Thank You to greenstreetprince For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
linzi1978
Old 23-04-2007, 5:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thank you everyone, will email the seller now.

xx
Cabbage: A familiar kitchen/garden vegetable about as large and wise as a man's head. - Ambrose Bierce

<8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8>

# 9
susy
Old 23-04-2007, 5:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You should have had it by now. However, I ordered what was for me an expensive item from ebay. He mailed me to say he had sent it 1st class Recorded Delivery, but it didn't arrive when it should have. I ordered from a very new seller with a feedback of 3 or 4 and it was also a more expensive item than he had previously sold. My heart was in my mouth but patience payed off when it arrived approx 1 week later.
The Following User Says Thank You to susy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
funkyfunkymonkey
Old 23-04-2007, 8:23 PM

Have you contacted your local sorting office in case the postman tried a delivery and you were out? They don't always leave a card.

FFM
AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
The Following User Says Thank You to funkyfunkymonkey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Contains Mild Peril
Old 23-04-2007, 9:16 PM

Don't give upon it yet - I've had mail delayed by a week or so before. Though 2nd class usually takes 1-3 days, it can occasionally be considerably longer. I've had first class mail take over a week and second class arrive next day (even when posted late afternoon).
The Following User Says Thank You to Contains Mild Peril For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
linzi1978
Old 24-04-2007, 8:06 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi
I emailed the seller yesterday, but have had no reply as of yet, am hoping the package arrives today!

linzi

<8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8>

Closed Thread