Aims review preying on old people

Options
I want to warn as many people as possible about this company who prey on old people. If anyone can give me the correct place to warn others I will be happy to post there.
My elderly father received a call from a company called AIMSREVIEW who proceeded to sell him a "membership" costing £250. As he wanted to make a will out and they offered that service he agreed, a week later without signing anything he realized he already had one and phoned up to cancel and ask for a refund. He was refused and told he was locked in until Nov 2013. He then received a PPI reclaim form from them, he doesn't even know what PPI is let alone ask them to act on his behalf. I called yesterday and told them I wanted a refund for him and ended up speaking to the rudest manager I have ever come across who said he agreed to it so tough luck. Having read posts on other sites this is not an isolated case. I am going to take it further to get his money back but want to warn others of the despicable tactics these PPI claims firms use to get business.... to name and shame them they are http://www.aimsreview.com/

Comments

• ethics23
    Options
    The same has just happened to my mum who has problems remembering anything iincluding who she is talking to. I have phoned them and askeed for the money back (£300) but got nowhere. Be warned, this business, AIMS REVIEW, is totally unscrupulous and preyingg on old people.
    Did you get anywhere in getting a efund?
  • ethics23
    Options
    Re Aims Review: They tell you that you only have 7 day in which to cancel but, be aware that as they are selling financial services, under the Financial Services Distance Marketing Rgulations 2004, you have 14 days in which to cancel your contract.
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Options
    ethics23 Might be an idea to get in touch with the Alzheimer's Society because if someone does not have the capacity to make financial decisions for themselves then the agreement is invalid. I'm sure I read it somewhere.
    Is small claims and option? I'm sure someone on here would know.
    Hope it works out soon.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ethics23 wrote: »
    Re Aims Review: They tell you that you only have 7 day in which to cancel but, be aware that as they are selling financial services, under the Financial Services Distance Marketing Rgulations 2004, you have 14 days in which to cancel your contract.

They are not selling financial services.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • watersedge2000
    Options
    no claims management should charge you for ppi claim, they get away with it by doing a review, getting more information from you to call you at later date to sell other products, they also have a pension team, to extort money from you. you have a 2 week right by law to cancel. THIS COMPANY IS BASED ON THE COSTA DEL SOL, NEED I SAY MORE michael COSTELLO ONE OF THE BOSSES and michael souter you will see on the internet in relation to a real estate company Mcanthony reality, there names are mentioned which seems to implicate them in something rather dodgy in the past. you have been warned
  • Hi. Just read your post, had similar experience with the company myself. Just wanted to check you've been in touch with
    Claims Management Regulation Unit

Telephone: 0845 450 6858 / 01283 233309
    Fax: 0845 450 6866 / 01283 233335
    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00 - 17:00
    about them .
  • Samalik
    Samalik Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Fearing that I have been duped into a £250 fee for assistance with PPi reclaims, it now transpires that after a 12 month wait Aims will not refund my membership fee even after the fact that they have failed to uncover any PPi... The £250 fee was for 'services'.... What Services ???

Anyone else suffered this fate ?
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a look here.

I suggest you complain that they took your card details in breach of their conditions of authorisation and did not provide an invoice.
  • Samalik
    Samalik Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for that useful advice. The 2nd point about obtaining your credit card details via a phone call is exactly how they snared me into payment with a potential £18k reward for PPI charges. Of my 7 or 8 credit cards NO ppi was uncovered... Hence all claims rejected.

According to Aims, even after the 12 month wait, because I failed to take up thier 'offer' of a further financial review I am in breach on the T&Cs, therefore they will not refund my membership of £250.

This is some scam......

Beware !!
  • Be very careful of this Marbella run and regulated company, you have no legal comeback and whilst the directors drive Round in their top of range ferrari's you will be left out of pocket.

The funeral plan offered you can buy direct with the undying company much cheaper (google it please) and the " free" will being offered is a total scam. I believe that the will provider take 10pc of your estate on your death when in fact a quality, legal will can be bought for not much less than £50. (Countrywide are good).

The company choose to base themselves in Marbella to flaunt the UK regulation and the regulation they claim carries no weight given they are based outside the UK.

The Blackburn address is a empty office, go find it and see for yourself!

Do your homework, genuine firms do not cold call and ask yourself how all the directors drive supercars, million pound villa's and live outside the UK paying no UK taxes.

They will also try to make money from you with other scams on insurance, pensions, PPI. They are not regulated and so avoid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure