Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Why is my gas bill always so high?? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Why is my gas bill always so high??
Closed Thread
Views: 1,275
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Soapy955
Old 21-04-2007, 9:33 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 269
Default Why is my gas bill always so high??

I have an old gas boiler which is installed behind the fire in the lounge. We only use gas for the central heating and heating our water. This said, our gas bill is always WAY higher than our electric bill. We use electric for all other things, including cooking. I was wondering if I should have the boiler on a different setting. I was told that if you have it on all the time then the thermostat only allows the boiler to heat up the water when the temperature in the water tank drops significantly. I was told this works out cheaper than having it heat up the whole tank when it is needed. Our heating system has three settings.... 24 hours; all day; or on twice. Can anyone advise me whether I should have it on a particular one to save money. It sounds like the heating system is always making "heating up" noises even when the radiators are stone cold!
My husband needs hot water early in the morning so turning it off over night is not an option.

Please help!
Soapy955 is offline
Report Post
# 2
Cardew
Old 21-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 22,647
Default

Firstly "keeping it on all the time is cheaper" is an 'urban myth' that is repeated time and again.

If that principle applied wouldn't it be cheaper to keep your kettle simmering all the time?

The shorter the time you have the boiler on, the lower your bill will be - that is without question.

If your tank is well insulated it should remain hot for many hours after the boiler is switched off. Many people have Economy 7 to heat their water in the middle of the night and it will stay hot all day, unless they use it all.

I can't understand the difference between 'all day' and '24 hours'

Most people with Gas CH find that their gas bill is higher than electric.
Cardew is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
dc
Old 21-04-2007, 2:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,486
Default

In Winter, Gas Central heating, tends to use 4 times as many units as elecricity used for everyday living, hence higher gas bills are inevitable. Try heating with just electric fires and you will think your gas bill was reasonable, Gas is around 4 times cheaper than leccy per Kw

Heating the house when no-one is there is not the most economical, except in extreme low outside temps.
In a working household the 2x a day time setting is usually best.
Set the 1st ON time, so that the house is comfortable when arriving home from work. Set the OFF an hour or so before going to bed.

Set the second ON time for a comfortable house temp to be reached, together with enough hot water, for when you get up. And set the second off time for the house to be cooling down before you leave.

Everyones comfort level is different so experiment with settings. The only time you should have the boiler on continuously is in extreme weather, when the boiler will struggle to be hot enough in the timed period.

HTHs dc

PS the heating sounds when the radiators are cold will be the boiler heating hot water only. Depends on what controls your system has.
ac's lovechild

Last edited by dc; 21-04-2007 at 2:08 PM.
dc is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to dc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Soapy955
Old 21-04-2007, 8:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 269
Default

I'm actually a stay-at-home Mum so am in most of the day. My husband gets up at 4am for work and needs hot water then I get up at 8ish and need hot water. My husband then has a shower at about 3ish when he is home from work and we need hot water just for random washing up and hand washing. Can you suggest the best times to have the hot water timer set at to ensure we never run out of hot water, but enabling us to not have the water constantly heating up?

Thanks so much for your help!
Soapy955 is offline
Report Post
# 5
tanith
Old 21-04-2007, 8:35 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,535
Default

My water gets heated for an hour in the morning and an hour at night and I have never run out of hot water even with all the showering , dishwasher , washing machine etc etc etc......trial and error is the key you can always increase or decrease till you have it right...
#6 of the SKI-ers Club

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
tanith is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to tanith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Soapy955
Old 22-04-2007, 11:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanith View Post
My water gets heated for an hour in the morning and an hour at night and I have never run out of hot water even with all the showering , dishwasher , washing machine etc etc etc......trial and error is the key you can always increase or decrease till you have it right...
I have set the timer to come on at 1am amd 1pm and go off at 3am amd 3pm.

So thanks for the advice and I'll see how it goes!
Soapy955 is offline
Report Post
# 7
espresso
Old 22-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy955
I have set the timer to come on at 1am amd 1pm and go off at 3am amd 3pm.
Still too long! My gas boiler will heat a tank full of water in less than half an hour. No boiler should take more than one hour, even if gravity fed.
espresso is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to espresso For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
cyrilthepost
Old 22-04-2007, 11:23 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 31
Default

can you control the gas by turning a knob under your fire,if so turn down to be between 1 and 2 that helped me a hell of a lot, keep it on all the time to, so the water you use doesn't take long to heat up.
cyrilthepost is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to cyrilthepost For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Soapy955
Old 22-04-2007, 4:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso View Post
Still too long! My gas boiler will heat a tank full of water in less than half an hour. No boiler should take more than one hour, even if gravity fed.

Mine's a very old system so I'm worried it might not be efficient enough to heat the water quickly! My bill will be so much cheaper if I have the water heating only 1/2 an hour twice a day instead of on 24 hours a day!

I will give it a go, thanks!
Soapy955 is offline
Report Post
# 10
tanith
Old 22-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,535
Default

Why have you set your water to heat in the early hours and afternoon? its had time to start cooling again already by the time you use it... set it to come on 1hr before the first person gets up and I set it to come on at 5pm for an hour so that is just before the evening dishwasher cycle and anyone wanting an evening shower....
#6 of the SKI-ers Club

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
tanith is offline
Report Post
# 11
Cardew
Old 22-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 22,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanith View Post
I set it to come on at 5pm for an hour so that is just before the evening dishwasher cycle .

Do you have a hot and cold water fill dishwasher?

Just asking as I have been told they are not available now in UK.

Is it a 'standard' European manufacturer?
Cardew is offline
Report Post
# 12
BritishGasWorker
Old 22-04-2007, 11:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy955 View Post
I have an old gas boiler which is installed behind the fire in the lounge. We only use gas for the central heating and heating our water. This said, our gas bill is always WAY higher than our electric bill. We use electric for all other things, including cooking. I was wondering if I should have the boiler on a different setting. I was told that if you have it on all the time then the thermostat only allows the boiler to heat up the water when the temperature in the water tank drops significantly. I was told this works out cheaper than having it heat up the whole tank when it is needed. Our heating system has three settings.... 24 hours; all day; or on twice. Can anyone advise me whether I should have it on a particular one to save money. It sounds like the heating system is always making "heating up" noises even when the radiators are stone cold!
My husband needs hot water early in the morning so turning it off over night is not an option.

Please help!
Hi there...depending on the energy company you are with some offer an energy efficiancy line which is there to help and advise you..British Gas offers this..please give them a call they can give you all sorts of hints and tips
Hey folks...remember I might work for the company but I am a human and working in my own time, I will not responde to people who are rude, sarcy and crits me. My views and comments do not reflect British Gas and they are totally unreasponsable for my responses.
BritishGasWorker is offline
Report Post
# 13
Soapy955
Old 23-04-2007, 5:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanith View Post
Why have you set your water to heat in the early hours and afternoon? its had time to start cooling again already by the time you use it... set it to come on 1hr before the first person gets up and I set it to come on at 5pm for an hour so that is just before the evening dishwasher cycle and anyone wanting an evening shower....
I set it early in the morning as my husband gets up at 4am and I wanted to make sure the water would be hot enough for him when he gets up. Also, he has a shower mid afternoon after work so for the same reason I set it for early afternoon so that it is hot enough for him when he needs it.

Well I have set it to come on at 2.30 am and 1.30pm and off at just past 4am and 3pm! I would have set it for just the hour as previously mentioned but the little pointers on the dial won't go any closer together than one and a half hours!!
It was set like this from last night and so far the water has been hot enough for all of us so THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your advice!

Last edited by Soapy955; 23-04-2007 at 5:04 PM.
Soapy955 is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 3:14 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 23 July 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 88
  • COURTEENERSHOW GOOD IT WAS
  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.