Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Anyone else having problem with Aldi Washing powd... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Anyone else having problem with Aldi Washing powder?
Views: 4,719
# 1
rosie383
Old 05-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Anyone else having problem with Aldi Washing powder?

About to run out in a mo, but wanted to ask before I forget , again!!
I have used Fairy for years because of kids with eczema.
I got some Almat powder from Aldi the other week, but the bloomin stuff just sticks in the washer drawer every time.
I took the drawer out the other day and gave it a good clean, but it is still doing it.
I had a bit of Fairy left, so have just done a couple of washes with that and it works perfectly.
I do find that it's also bothering the kids' skin, so will have to go back to Fairy again, but it doesn't really get the clothes very clean and doesn't have a nice smell.
Any ideas what else I could use instead? Can I make gloop even for kids with sensitive skin?
March Grocery Challenge 130/ 240
NSD 0

Do not look down upon anybody unless you are helping them up.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosie383 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
OrkneyStar
Old 05-12-2012, 12:36 PM

Lidl bio is good, and I think their non-bio (from what I remember) is pretty decent too.
And if our God is for us then who can stand against?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrkneyStar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Uniscots97
Old 05-12-2012, 1:01 PM

Bold powder is the only one I can use (eczema here too) although found recently I can use Stardrops instead.
2014 in 2014 = 2089.52 - 14025.96 / 13694.07. The Other One: 12042.8111540.91 Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uniscots97 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
chickywiggle
Old 05-12-2012, 1:05 PM

sounds like they have changed their forumlation (perhaps they are asda smartprice re-branded - we all know it happens).........see my ASDA smartprice powder thread for my info (sorry gotta go back to work so can't hunt it out at the mo)
Popped back to a lovely MSE community ..... and was fast reminded why I left.

I blog tho if you'd like to take a look over there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chickywiggle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
shelley_crow
Old 05-12-2012, 1:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've just done a load with the almat non bio powder. Just checked the drawer and there's a tiny bit left that hasn't washed away. I bought this box a few ago though. It's worth a post on the aldi facebook page, the service is excellent.

I used to use fairy too
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelley_crow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
peachyprice
Old 05-12-2012, 1:53 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickywiggle View Post
sounds like they have changed their forumlation (perhaps they are asda smartprice re-branded - we all know it happens).........see my ASDA smartprice powder thread for my info (sorry gotta go back to work so can't hunt it out at the mo)
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4322559

There you go
Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peachyprice For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
trolleyrun
Old 05-12-2012, 4:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Surprisingly enough the Waitrose Essentials washing powder doesn't cost much more than the Aldi one and it's really good (I use the one for colours)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trolleyrun For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
rosie383
Old 05-12-2012, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley_crow View Post
I've just done a load with the almat non bio powder. Just checked the drawer and there's a tiny bit left that hasn't washed away. I bought this box a few ago though. It's worth a post on the aldi facebook page, the service is excellent.

I used to use fairy too
I'm not getting a tiny bit left, I would say at least half is left in a lump in the drawer. I've tried using less, but still get some left.

Will maybe see if I can get a sample of Bold if that seems okay for eczema. Perhaps they would be lovely enough to send me a wee sample to try rather than buying a whole box and finding it's not good for the kids.
NSD 0

The Following User Says Thank You to rosie383 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
dianasnan
Old 05-12-2012, 5:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

same here, I had so much powder left in the drawer that I started putting it directly into the drum.

this was the 2 in 1 lavender one.

apart from that works well
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dianasnan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
trulymadlydeeply_indebt!
Old 05-12-2012, 5:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We all suffer here with itchy skin if we use anything other than Fairy which is annoying as it is the only branded powder that rarely have regular offers on, unlike Daz, Persil, Bold etc., However, recently, Sainsbury's have been having offers on it. The last one was a 10 wash box @ 4.20 which was on offer at 2 for 4!.

The offer before that was buy a 12-odd box for 7 which gave me extra money to try Fairy liquitabs for the first time. Have you tried them? They were a revealation for me as they actually have a smell, unlike the powder which is neutral.

I may be mad, but I do have "fresh washing smell envy" when I can smell powder on people that are close up to me

You pop the tabs into the drum as well, so you won't have any build-up in the drawer.

HTH

TMD xx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trulymadlydeeply_indebt! For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
rising from the ashes
Old 05-12-2012, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixgirluk View Post
found recently I can use Stardrops instead.
Think I must be the only person who's allergic to *drops - my Eczema flared up really badly when I used it for cleaning.

Interestingly, I also can't use Fairy (which I know is supposed to be gentle).

I do also find that I have better results - skin wise! - with using washing liquids or gels.

Not sure if this is because they dissolve better & are therefore rinsed out better?
Starting again - back on the frugal MSE journey
Groceries & Toiletries: Annual 2080
CCP claim success!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
CurlyTop
Old 07-12-2012, 6:21 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've recently switched to Aldi powder. Not so much bothered about the smell because I shove half a hundred weight of fabric conditioner in the drawer anyway !!!!

I've had exactly the same problem. I'd say its about 1/3 to 1/2 that stays behind in the drawer. I leave the drawer open to let it dry then break it up with my fingers and flatten it down. I think the problem with me is if I pour it in the drawer so it goes like a mound shape and then can't go down. Having said that tho, I've not changed my pouring technique and had no problems with Persil for years, just had a problem with the price !
I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CurlyTop For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
kazmeister
Old 07-12-2012, 8:57 AM

I use Aldi washing powder and dont have problems. However when we bought our new washing machine we got it through a little local shop who came in and fitted it. He made me put a 'load'on there and then so he could see how much powder I was using. I put the said amount indicated into the cup ready to put into the drawer and he told me to halve it! I questioned this and he said really you only need a small amount to get the clothes clean and the rest juct clogs up the machine. Same with fabric conditioner. Have stuck to his rule and never had a problem in the drawer or with dirty clothes. Oh and he also said the gel from the liquitabs type clogs machines too over a period of time. HTH
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kazmeister For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
kathie1101
Old 07-12-2012, 9:11 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've not used Aldi nom bio, usually use the bio powder for whites and their coloured powder and not had any problems with either of them. But if you are having problems with it (and another poster is too) then I would take it to the store and let them know, I am sure they will refund or replace. I know they offer a 60 day money back guarantee if you aren't happy with a product, not sure if they insist on seeing a receipt (it is clear that it's an Aldi product). I have taken things back when I haven't kept the receipt (including fruit/veg that's gone funny within a day of buying it) and it's never been a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to kathie1101 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Judi
Old 07-12-2012, 9:15 AM

Stick the powder in the drum and not the drawer. I never use the drawer as i hate gunky drawers.
'Holy crap on a cracker!'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Chris25
Old 07-12-2012, 9:30 AM

I'm sure there have been several posts about this over the last little while - it does smell lovely but doesn't seem to dissolve at lower temperatures.
I think I also read that putting it in the drum didn't help as some people were left with a residue on clothes.
Could you dissolve it into a jug of hot water first & then pour it in?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris25 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
sunset gold
Old 07-12-2012, 1:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Same problem and with the Lavender Aldi powder, at least half left in drawer and then when I put it directly into drum the clothes all came out with white powder marks on them. The clothes and machine also smelt well....yuck!

Have now changed to Daz, still using Aldi Lavender conditioner though, but will reduce the amount after reading posts!

Roll on summer when we can get clothes back on the line for that just washed smell...!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunset gold For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
dianasnan
Old 07-12-2012, 5:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

yes it was the lavender one and it didn't dissolve in the drum either, just migrated to the glass at the front in one lump. Oddly this didn't happen with the previous box so might be a dodgy box. I decant mine into a large container so can't take it back.
The new box of Daz dissolved straight away in the drawer.
The Following User Says Thank You to dianasnan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Hobsons Choice
Old 07-12-2012, 7:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

No problem here with Aldi Washing Powder. I use the Bio one and put half the recommended amount in the drawer and usually wash at 30 or 40degrees "quick wash". I used to use Daz, but switched to the Aldi one a few months back .. this box I'm using I bought only last week. Not tried the lavender one though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobsons Choice For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
rosie383
Old 08-12-2012, 3:52 PM

Thanks so much for all the replies.
I do use probably half the recommended amount, so that isn't it.
I also wash everything now at 60 degrees, as advised by the allergy clinic because of the kids eczema, so that's not an issue either.
I have just done a wash where I put a small scoopful into the drum, so will have a look and see if there is residue.
Because I'm not the only one, I am going to ring Aldi and let them know. Can't email unfortunately, only write or ring. Will report back and tell you what they say.
Someone needs to remind me to ring them Monday as they are shut at the weekend. Actually, I may just write, so watch this space!!
NSD 0

Last edited by rosie383; 08-12-2012 at 4:31 PM.