Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Protogenia
    Leaving husband...benefits/housing allowance question plz.
    • 20th Nov 12, 9:10 AM
    Leaving husband...benefits/housing allowance question plz. 20th Nov 12 at 9:10 AM
    Hello there I was wondering if you could help me.
    After months of breaking up and reconcilling (husband had an affair) I have finally decided I have had enough and can no longer stay in the same house as him. We have a fifteen month old son and I am a stay at home mum. My husband is also emotionally abusive and rude but that is another story anyways...

We have a joint mortgage, however I cannot afford the repayments of 988 per month. So I will have to leave and i am hoping to rent a little property in the next village near my mum.
    My questions are: Will being on the mortgage prevent me from getting housing benefit? and also if I intentionally came off the mortgage (house has less than 5000 equity in it and husband is happy for me to do this) would that affect me claiming housing benefit?

Also...we are in debt (not a lot) so he cannot afford to give me half the equity up front. To be honest I don't care...I just need to leave him, I cannot cope with the infidelity, sulking and name calling for any longer. I would hate my son to get to the age when he starts being aware that things are not happy in his home.

Thank you for your time

Proto. x x
    Freedom Goal ~ 290/1000
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,140Posts Today

7,387Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin