IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Time to start again
Views: 35,641
# 1
happy daddy
Old 17-11-2012, 12:47 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Time to start again

Originally i was doing a thread regarding my quest to clear my debt unforyunately i had a wee bit of a disater moment Cup of Tea going over the computer= busted computer any way i am back online and ready to tackle debt i am arouund 5k in debt but already on a DMP which is due to end in June 2014 however i want to focus on clearing debt sooner and setting myself up for a brighter future for me and my daughter. My daughter is from a previous relationship she comes and stays with me on a weekend. I am looking forward to tackling debt and i hope that people will enjoy my story i am going to sign off for the night and start officially in the morning Goodnight one and all and heres to a good weekend

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 22-01-2013 at 1:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to happy daddy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
happy daddy
Old 17-11-2012, 10:02 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well first day of money saving and i have signed up for collecting 20ps in 2013 really excited about the next year ahead i have a good feeling that i can be debt free by the end of 2013- So here we go its the weekend i have my daughter and although my life isnt perfect i am in a better situation than others, i am having a think about what i can do with her this weekend, i think a nice make a cake and eat it with a few other activities will be on the cards, whatever people are up to make it a good weekend folks :O)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to happy daddy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
WantToBeSE
Old 17-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Good morning happy daddy
Have you posted up a Statement of Affairs yet?
Thats generally the first thing to do, so that people can look through it and advise you of ways to cut down on your expenditure, and/or increase your income. You'll find the sticky for it at the top of the DFW board.

Good luck in clearing your debt
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WantToBeSE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Tiglath
Old 17-11-2012, 10:07 AM

Good luck Have you thought of joining the 'Pay off as much as you can 2013' challenge? I've moved to leaving the debit card at home and having 2 grocery and personal physical purses to contain the weekly budget. When it's gone, it's gone so it's forcing me to make it last. I'll even whip out the calculator to keep tally of the price as I go round the shops, and I always shop with a list. Everything but £1s and 50ps go into my terramundi pot for paying back into my bank account every few months; banked £30 in 1ps and 2ps on Wednesday.
"Those are synapses, electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light, is you — the thing that makes you unique and human." ~ Dr. Jenner, The Walking Dead
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tiglath For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
abundant1972
Old 17-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Welcome to the boards mate - really liking your enthusiasm! I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on. There are a couple of really good challenges I am part of which keep me ticking over...

Weekly Spend Challenges (set a limit and don't go over)
NSD months (set a number of No Spend Days for the month)
Clear debt - 1 % at a time (breaks debt into doable 1% chunks!)

Good luck and great to have you here!!!

DEBT FREE as of 24/10/2014 !!!
In 2015 the saving begins...

October Triathlon # 21 : SFD =6/16 : Food/Spends =£105/£120 : Gym =5/12 Sessions
Emergency Fund # 25: £50.00 / £1000.00

Mortgage Deposit : Starts 2015

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to abundant1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
DebtClearer
Old 17-11-2012, 10:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Welcome to the party!

If you can free up some cash and maintain that attitude you will see £5k dissapear very quickly Daddy!
LBM - DEBTS @ 06/01/14 - £20,577.79
CURRENT DEBTS @ £21,181.57 LEGAL DEBTS@£6,839.12
SAVINGS @ LBM - £3.93/15000
CURRENT SAVING @ - £90/£15,000
CLEAR DEBT AND GET HOUSE DEPOSIT BY XMAS 2017!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DebtClearer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
happy daddy
Old 17-11-2012, 9:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Aww thanks for the lovely comments folks, for me this is the main aim to get people opinions suggestions as we are mostly on here for the same reason to clear debt Well my Saturday morning started well i have been with my beautiful daughter we spent the morning doing various things and keeping things basic, one thing that i have probably learned is that so many times i have flashed the cash and this has probably made me wreckless and leaded me to debt,so what have i done this morning ? I have learned my daughter how to play draughts, we have coloured in, I also went to Tesco for my dad to get a few wee bits of shopping my dad let me kindly have the tesco clubcard points thanks dad after dinner we watched the movie Shark tale, mid afternoon i went with my daughter to buy my mums birthday present something that i have done also is i have joined cokezone this is a rewards site from cocacola my dad is a big fizzy pop fan and i am going to try and captalise on this i am going to redeem the ringpulls and enter the codes aswell as saving the aluminium cans and cash them in at the local scrap yard every little bit of money helps :O) anyway me and my daughter are going to have a little late night watching Xfactor and I'm a celeb tomorrow after i finish work we are going to make cakes for tea plans for my daughter and i over this next week i want to make a papier mache savings pig with her aswell as making our very own snakes and ladders game and also we will be going to the local reindeer parade for us its something we go to each year and for us its like The countdown to christmas finally starts. Hope everyone is having a good saturday evening happydaddyX

Spends so far
ten pound birthday present for my mum
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to happy daddy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
happy daddy
Old 17-11-2012, 11:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well the end of day one at money saving and its time for bed i have been doing a wee bit of work aswell on swagbucks i have signed up for valued opinions and yougov good night everyone x
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to happy daddy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
JoeyGrey
Old 18-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Happy Daddy, look forward to following your story.

Have you tried the website Pinterest? There are thousands of ideas on cheap activities to do with young kids (and in fact thousands of ideas on just about everything else also). I spend half my life on there at the moment.

Good luck with your adventure

I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JoeyGrey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
happy daddy
Old 18-11-2012, 2:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Joeygrey thank you very much for your help regarding your suggesting telling me about the website pinterest i will definately have a look on there for some help keeping a 9 year old entertained can be quite hard sometimes as my daughter still doesn't seem to understand the full concept of money and thinks that we always have to spend money to be entertained. Well my day has started off by a shift at work a nice short one to be honest 8-2 so i had to leave my daughter with my mum and dad, which is hard but with the nature of my work 2 weekends out of four i have to work, once i was at work i was reminded ' Oi why didnt you come to the house party last night 'oops, i did forget but on another way i was pleased the money i have saved by not going with alcohol and taxis and missing parenting time anyway i am going to finish my afternoon off with my daughter before she returns back to her mum, Hope everybody on Mse is having a goodweekend talk later happydaddy x
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to happy daddy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Want2makeitstretchfurther
Old 18-11-2012, 4:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sounds like you certainly a 'happy daddy' your daughter will benefit enormously from learning to have fun without costing a fortune, keep up the good work!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Want2makeitstretchfurther For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
My Lil Revolution
Old 18-11-2012, 6:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Good luck on your journey Happy Daddy, subscribed

Lil
xx
23.11.11-LBM-£10162.10 Outstanding-18/11/12-£10782.39 Outstanding-£9949.52
S.A.D. And Proud Of It
Member #29 Of 20p Savers Club: £5.00/£100
POAMAYC In 2013 Member #28: £0/£2500
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to My Lil Revolution For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
happy daddy
Old 18-11-2012, 11:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well after day two of Debt busting i am very proud to say That i have my first NSD once i had dropped my daughter off at her mums i started around my home to do a few chores i have lots of old clothes that need rid of so i am going to get them into black bags and recycle and earn a few extra pounds eventually my plans are to do Ebay and Carbooting but carbooting for me is probably going to me more in the new year when this happens but i am looking around thinking about the things i may be able to sell. The problem for me is time but hey i am up for anything and willing to give anything a go tonight also i have registered for more survey sites hopefully this maybe able to help me raise a few extra bits of money, i have also got from one of my workmates the contact details regarding claiming money from the Tax man for been a uniform wearer i think i will give this a go .Anyway i hope everyone has had a good weekend Tomorrow my plans at work is to ask my boss to see if their is any overtime and i may just see if i can work in one of our sister homes this is the beauty of been a carer overtime is always there
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to happy daddy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
happy daddy
Old 19-11-2012, 7:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well good morning one and all Happy Monday Morning :Os Today i am eating breakfast before work 8-2 and afterwards i will be spending the afternoon with my daughter my diary is based not just been a dad but one that is trying to dejunk his life style and turn things around for the better going to start dieting today aswell 15 stone 7 eekk talk later happy daddy x
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to happy daddy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
elantan
Old 19-11-2012, 8:12 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Good luck with it , hope your shift is peaceful

Mines finishing shortly ... I can hear my bed calling my name lol

What type if diet you doing ?
march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting (currently 34/100)
100 week heath challenge may20th 2013- April 20th 2015
"what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elantan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
happy daddy
Old 19-11-2012, 2:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well finished my shift now and i am waiting to spend the afternoon with my daughter whilst i am waiting i am going to have a look on pinterest website which was suggested by joeygrey anyway going to chill for a bit and talk later x happy daddy x
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to happy daddy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
happy daddy
Old 20-11-2012, 4:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yack i am feeling so under the weather today with vomiting its resulted in me having the day off so totally gutted that that i have lost a days wage but going to try and make up for it in overtime i was so pleased that today my application form has come for a home carer post around my local town this if i get offered the post will increase my wage an extra 60p an hour and the money i am going to save not using my car will be fab i am going to put my head down for a bit hope everyone is having a good day
# 18
HeadAboveWater
Old 20-11-2012, 4:39 PM

Hi happy daddy

You are such a 'glass half full' person!! Love it!!

Gonna subscribe to your diary if you don't mind, and keep an eye on how you're doing

I would also advise posting a Statement of Affairs via here. We'll hopefully be able to help you cut back on your spends in a few places.

And also keep a spending diary. It helps to see exactly where your money is going every day!!!

I've joined the NSD challenge for the last 2 months. Didn't hit my target last month, and struggling this month too, but it's making me very aware of what and when I spend. Everyone is really encouraging too. Definitely recommend it!

Good luck
Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out

FD Target take 2: £3025/£3600
ebay sales 2014: £106.64
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HeadAboveWater For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
happy daddy
Old 20-11-2012, 9:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hey Headabovewater thank you for your nice comments and advice With my DMP with christians against poverty they assist me with SOA i dont know know if its the same with other companies but they tell me how much i can spend during the month stuff like petrol etc but i am more than happy to put it on here today i have done nothing feeling yacky but on a plus side i havent spent anything well i am going to go to bed fingers crossed i will be more with the land of the living tomorrow and be a happy daddy and not a miserable one good night everyone x
# 20
happy daddy
Old 21-11-2012, 10:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hey well i have been at work today i have done a 12 hour shift 8am to 8pm i havent really done much in the world of money saving i have done work on swagbucks this evening and started filling out my application form for another job feeling really tired so going off to bed got another 12 hour shift ahead tomorrow, so thankful to my parents for their help with everything goodnight everyone x

Spends for today
0.40p for a chicken noodles at sainsburys