Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > IFA Advice. Can I claim back fees? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
IFA Advice. Can I claim back fees?
Closed Thread
Views: 414
# 1
Nevski
Old 13-11-2012, 8:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default IFA Advice. Can I claim back fees?

In late 2009 my IFA decided to retire. He passed on my details to another IFA who sent me a letter saying that we should meet and discuss my investments. I decided to ignore the letter as I was happy with my current investments and I didn't have any spare funds to invest. Now 3 years later I find that I have been paying them a quarterly fee which is a percentage of my total investments. In your opinion can I claim back these monies? I haven't sent them a letter yet as I want to see what you guys think first . Thanks in advance
# 2
Aegis
Old 13-11-2012, 8:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You could always send a letter asking if they would consider rebating some of the fees as you haven't used their services at all in the last three years. They likely won't be required to do so unless your original agreement stated as such, but they may be willing to do so as a goodwill gesture.
I am an Independent Financial Adviser
Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
# 3
dunstonh
Old 13-11-2012, 8:34 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
In your opinion can I claim back these monies?
What are these fees and what are they documented to cover?

It is probably unlikely you can if they are factored into the product as they are usually structured as commission but if it is a retainer by standing order from your current account then this should have a fee agreement in place stating what you get for those fees.

For cases put in place after Jan 2013 then ongoing regular remuneration has to be justified and agreed. Prior to that date, if it is say trail commission, then it doesn't need to be. Give us a bit more detail on what this fee arrangement is.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
Closed Thread