Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > Vodafone shares - any good? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Vodafone shares - any good?
Views: 2,741
# 1
melbury
Old 09-11-2012, 5:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Vodafone shares - any good?

I am still chasing dividend income in view of the abysmal interest rates on offer.

You good people put me onto Centrica and RSA last year.

I keep looking a Vodafone, but do you think they have run their course and the only way is down?

They do seem to pay out pretty good dividends.

So do some companies called ICAP and EVRAZ, but haven't got a clue what they are about

Any advice or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Ifts
Old 09-11-2012, 6:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Saw this article on the Motley Fool site, it may be of interest to you:

Eyes Down For Vodafone's Results

Also quite a few discussion over on the Motley Fool boards going on about Vodafone before their half-year results next week.
MF is not the easiest site especially the forums bit to navigate around but it does have some very knowledgeable contributors on the discussion boards.
Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
The Following User Says Thank You to Ifts For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
melbury
Old 09-11-2012, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifts View Post
Saw this article on the Motley Fool site, it may be of interest to you:

Eyes Down For Vodafone's Results

Also quite a few discussion over on the Motley Fool boards going on about Vodafone before their half-year results next week.
MF is not the easiest site especially the forums bit to navigate around but it does have some very knowledgeable contributors on the discussion boards.

Thanks for that, it all looks good, so think I will go ahead and buy some.

# 4
bigfreddiel
Old 09-11-2012, 8:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbury View Post

So do some companies called ICAP and EVRAZ, but haven't got a clue what they are about

well you seem to have done loads of in-depth research so good luck with that.

but.....

if you're interested in income from dividends then why not research its, some of which have increased their dividends for 40+ years running.

a diversified portfolio of its will be hard to beat

hope that helps

fj
The Following User Says Thank You to bigfreddiel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Ifts
Old 09-11-2012, 8:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
IIRC and I ain't confusing you with another poster on MSE you wanted to get Vodafone (VOD) at the sort of price they are now before they went up, and regretted not doing so last time (apologies if Ive got the wrong person here).

What ever you read on public forums don't it take it as gospel, by all means look into the idea but always worth you doing as much of your own research as possible before you commit.

As an example a little while back on here I was drawn to the attention of N Brown (BWNG) by fellow poster 'gadgetmind', after looking into it I liked what I saw and decided to buy some, got in at 259p which is now showing a 34% increase.
On the opposite side I remember when Cadogen Petroleum (CAD) was being talked about on here, which if I had bought at the time would now be showing a loss of 60%+ but luckily for me that one only made it as far as my watch list (still there today showing a 64% loss).

So always DYOR and best of luck with your investments.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ifts For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
melbury
Old 09-11-2012, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfreddiel View Post
well you seem to have done loads of in-depth research so good luck with that.

but.....

if you're interested in income from dividends then why not research its, some of which have increased their dividends for 40+ years running.

a diversified portfolio of its will be hard to beat

hope that helps

fj
What are its?

# 7
melbury
Old 09-11-2012, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifts View Post
IIRC and I ain't confusing you with another poster on MSE you wanted to get Vodafone (VOD) at the sort of price they are now before they went up, and regretted not doing so last time (apologies if Ive got the wrong person here).

What ever you read on public forums don't it take it as gospel, by all means look into the idea but always worth you doing as much of your own research as possible before you commit.

As an example a little while back on here I was drawn to the attention of N Brown (BWNG) by fellow poster 'gadgetmind', after looking into it I liked what I saw and decided to buy some, got in at 259p which is now showing a 34% increase.
On the opposite side I remember when Cadogen Petroleum (CAD) was being talked about on here, which if I had bought at the time would now be showing a loss of 60%+ but luckily for me that one only made it as far as my watch list (still there today showing a 64% loss).

So always DYOR and best of luck with your investments.

I don't think it was me, last time, which was quite a while ago, I was asking about Sainsbury and Morrison shares, neither of which I bought. Just wish I had gone ahead and bought Sainsbury, they were just a touch over 3 then

The Following User Says Thank You to melbury For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Ifts
Old 09-11-2012, 8:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Soz you are right it was Sainsbury's you were debating to buy around the 3 mark.

its are Income Investment Trusts.

Last edited by Ifts; 09-11-2012 at 8:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ifts For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Linton
Old 09-11-2012, 9:56 PM

Quote:
I am still chasing dividend income in view of the abysmal interest rates on offer.

You good people put me onto Centrica and RSA last year.

I keep looking a Vodafone, but do you think they have run their course and the only way is down?

Many thanks.

Vodaphone is a massive global player with a solid income stream. Its finances look solid so I would buy the shares (or would now if I didnt already hold them).

On ICAP and EVRAZ you say that you havent a clue what they are about. That to me is an excellent reason for you not to buy them. I have done a quick bit of research. I still dont know what ICAP is about but I do note that it is currently paying more in dividends than it makes in profit. Definitely not a state of affairs which many income investors would be happy with. EVRAZ appears to be paying virtually no dividends - only 0.05% according to ADVFN.

Some rather better income shares in my view include:
- The utilities: United Utilities, SSE, National Grid
- Pharmaceuticals: Glaxo, AstraZeneca
- Shell I would say is an essential income holding

An Investment Trust worth considering is City of London which has the proud boast that it has consistently increased its dividend for the past 40 years or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Linton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Thrugelmir
Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linton View Post
Vodaphone is a massive global player with a solid income stream. Its finances look solid so I would buy the shares (or would now if I didnt already hold them).
An income stream that's under pressure in Europe. Appears now to be the new BP. One day in the future VOD will have a disaster of its own.
"Bull-markets are born on pessimism, grow on scepticism, mature on optimism and die on euphoria."
The Following User Says Thank You to Thrugelmir For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
cos
Old 09-11-2012, 10:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I bought into Vodafone a year or so ago and today am 6.5% down on share price. Got a reasonable divi this year. However, past performance etc . . .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cos For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Linton
Old 09-11-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrugelmir View Post
An income stream that's under pressure in Europe. Appears now to be the new BP. One day in the future VOD will have a disaster of its own.

Possibly, but most companies are under competition pressure. And of course Vodafone isnt just big in the UK and Europe. I believe that globally its the largest company in its field and its the only significant mobile communications company you can invest in on the FTSE, and that's the FTSE AllShare.

But yes any one company is a risk, that's why in my view the OP should be aiming towards say 15-20 income shares, or alternatively a small number of funds.
# 13
Thrugelmir
Old 09-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
But yes any one company is a risk, that's why in my view the OP should be aiming towards say 15-20 income shares, or alternatively a small number of funds.
The issue with Vodaphone for me is that its being chased for income.

Given that's its annual dividend payments amount to twice the amount paid by the entire FTSE 250 in total. Shows the over reliance on the stock.

Personally I'm a buy and hold investor. Using dividends reinvestment to diversify my portfolio. First bought BP at 121p so lived through its rise and fall in its entirety.
"Bull-markets are born on pessimism, grow on scepticism, mature on optimism and die on euphoria."
The Following User Says Thank You to Thrugelmir For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
melbury
Old 10-11-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
An Investment Trust worth considering is City of London which has the proud boast that it has consistently increased its dividend for the past 40 years or so.
Don't you have to pay quite high charges for the management of an investment trust?

# 15
jimjames
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Don't you have to pay quite high charges for the management of an investment trust?
Depends on the trust but generally no more so than a unit trust and in some cases substantially less.
Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimjames For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Linton
Old 10-11-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Note that performance figures, dividends etc are after charges they arent a bill you pay directly. So if, as in this case, the performance meets ones requirements paying the charges is worthwhile.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
melbury
Old 10-11-2012, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Note that performance figures, dividends etc are after charges they arent a bill you pay directly. So if, as in this case, the performance meets ones requirements paying the charges is worthwhile.
I only found out yesterday that the shares I have in an investment trust, which has changed management company a couple of times, incur a charge of 12 per quarter.

I only realized this because they sent me a transaction advice with the last valuation, which showed some money for me from a lapsed rights issue and nearly all of it has gone in the charges. Man said that there is enough left to cover the next year. Seems quite high to me, perhaps it is better if you do just see it as a final figure.

# 18
grey gym sock
Old 10-11-2012, 3:43 PM

Quote:
I only found out yesterday that the shares I have in an investment trust, which has changed management company a couple of times, incur a charge of 12 per quarter.
that sounds like a 12 charge for the nominee account in which you're holding the shares, not something that everybody who holds the shares will be paying.

you can buy investment trusts either in the same way as any other shares, or through a specific account provided by the management company (if they provide 1). some of these accounts for buying investment trusts are good value, but this 1 sounds expensive (unless you have quite a large value of shares in it).

if you are just holding your shares, and not adding to them via regular investments, you could ask if they'd transfer your shares into certificated form in your own name, and close the account. this would mean no more quarterly charge. they'd almost certainly charge to for the transfer, but that would be a 1-off charge, so might be worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to grey gym sock For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Linton
Old 10-11-2012, 3:44 PM

Quote:

I only realized this because they sent me a transaction advice with the last valuation, which showed some money for me from a lapsed rights issue and nearly all of it has gone in the charges. Man said that there is enough left to cover the next year. Seems quite high to me, perhaps it is better if you do just see it as a final figure.

You may be confusing two separate things. The charges made by an investment trust are to cover its own internal expenses. These charges are included within the share price. However if you hold the IT shares, or any other shares, through a broker then the broker will have a charge to cover their expenses in holding your shares. These are taken out of your account as cash and are nothing to do with specific shares you hold.
# 20
melbury
Old 10-11-2012, 4:59 PM

Quote:
You may be confusing two separate things. The charges made by an investment trust are to cover its own internal expenses. These charges are included within the share price. However if you hold the IT shares, or any other shares, through a broker then the broker will have a charge to cover their expenses in holding your shares. These are taken out of your account as cash and are nothing to do with specific shares you hold.
Well when I first started investing it was Finsbury Asset Management Limited, then it went to Close and it is now Alliance Trust.

Must say I have never thought about just getting the certificate myself; mainly because I never thought about charges

So if I just telephone them and say I would like to have my shares on a certificate and sent to me, presumably they would agree to this - obviously for a charge.

Think that would be the most sensible thing to do. Thanks for the advice, I should have done that years ago. I forget that investment trusts are just like any other shares.

They don't seem to pay any dividends! At the height of the tech shares boom they were worth double what they are now.

Forgot to say, they are in an ISA, would that make any difference?

Last edited by melbury; 10-11-2012 at 5:20 PM.