IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Co Funds change
Views: 1,264
# 1
Mr Pegs
Old 04-11-2012, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Co Funds change

Hi All, I have a Co-fund account managed through Willis Owen, just sort of sat there so I have decided I should review if any good and make changes if I have to. Two funds (in isas) in co-fund Invesco European Equity fund and a little in Aviva Investors property trust.

2 questions should I make changes if so any thoughts to who next question are Willis Owen good any thoughts about others if not them to manage

Must stress been lazy and must improve with respect to this investment Thanks so any help appreciated
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
dunstonh
Old 04-11-2012, 7:30 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
I have a Co-fund account managed through Willis Owen
From what I can see, they are not managing anything. They are just the servicing agent. They are DIY and eliminate the initial charge as no advice is being given.

Quote:
2 questions should I make changes if so any thoughts to who next question are Willis Owen good any thoughts about others if not them to manage
Willis Owen are doing nothing other than giving you an key to invest on the Cofunds platform for which they are paid around 0.5% p.a. So, you cant say they are good or bad as they not doing anything that can be measured that way.

You choose your investments with the option you have.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Mr Pegs
Old 05-11-2012, 7:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunstonh View Post
From what I can see, they are not managing anything. They are just the servicing agent. They are DIY and eliminate the initial charge as no advice is being given.

Willis Owen are doing nothing other than giving you an key to invest on the Cofunds platform for which they are paid around 0.5% p.a. So, you cant say they are good or bad as they not doing anything that can be measured that way.

You choose your investments with the option you have.
Thanks do you have any thoughts to good funds or do you consider current ones I have good performing
# 4
jimjames
Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
As per the comment above if you move to another agent using the Cofunds platform you should be able to get the 0.5% pa refunded. I use Cavendish Online and all the commission is rebated which is a useful addition to the portfolio.

If those are the only funds you hold then you may want to look at diversifying your portfolio to have a wider selection of areas but which will depend on your age, attitude to risk and other factors like savings and pensions.
Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
# 5
Mr Pegs
Old 10-11-2012, 7:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjames View Post
As per the comment above if you move to another agent using the Cofunds platform you should be able to get the 0.5% pa refunded. I use Cavendish Online and all the commission is rebated which is a useful addition to the portfolio.

If those are the only funds you hold then you may want to look at diversifying your portfolio to have a wider selection of areas but which will depend on your age, attitude to risk and other factors like savings and pensions.

I will take a look at Cavendish online,, age I retire in 6 years,, I save in cash isa,, teachers pension in future after 32 years,, dont like risk any thoughts?
# 6
Mr Pegs
Old 10-11-2012, 8:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pegs View Post
I will take a look at Cavendish online,, age I retire in 6 years,, I save in cash isa,, teachers pension in future after 32 years,, dont like risk any thoughts?
Sorry should add 'any thoughts for diversification'
# 7
Mr Pegs
Old 13-11-2012, 9:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Another question what is difference between co-funds and Fidelity FundsNetwork as Cavendish state if I transfer from Willis Owen to them I cant have co-funds and must have fundsnetwork so anyone any dealing with both funds?
# 8
jem16
Old 13-11-2012, 9:37 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pegs View Post
Another question what is difference between co-funds and Fidelity FundsNetwork as Cavendish state if I transfer from Willis Owen to them I cant have co-funds and must have fundsnetwork so anyone any dealing with both funds?
They are not funds.

Cofunds and Fidelity FundsNetwork are both funds supermarkets ( or funds platforms) which offer access to funds from all the different fund houses. The price at which they offer this service will vary and one may ofer a fund that the other does not and vice versa.
# 9
dunstonh
Old 14-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Cofunds is opening its platform up to clean share classes and non-commission paying investments if you go down the unbundled option. Other unbundled platforms have near 30,000 investment options available. How far Cofunds will move from its 1500 to that is not known at this time.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Reaper
Old 14-11-2012, 9:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Cofunds is opening its platform up to clean share classes and non-commission paying investments if you go down the unbundled option. Other unbundled platforms have near 30,000 investment options available.
Interesting. I hadn't heard about it previously.
Quote:
How far Cofunds will move from its 1500 to that is not known at this time.
1700 now and they will add another 300 by the end of the year apparently.
http://www.ifaonline.co.uk/ifaonline...odel-goes-live

The pricing sounds very similar to the Fidelity FundsNetwork unbundled option.
# 11
talexuser
Old 14-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you are under the existing bundled platform, how do you calculate whether it is worthwhile to change to the unbundled version?

For example switching a 20K fund in the bundled is 0.25% or around 50 and free in the unbundled, but if your total Cofunds portfolio is say 100K, the unbundled will cost around 290 a year.

Does it depend purely on how often you want to switch funds? I'm with Cavendish with full rebates at the moment.

Last edited by talexuser; 14-11-2012 at 10:48 PM.