IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Co Funds change
Reply
Views: 1,264
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Mr Pegs
Old 04-11-2012, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 22
Default Co Funds change

Hi All, I have a Co-fund account managed through Willis Owen, just sort of sat there so I have decided I should review if any good and make changes if I have to. Two funds (in isas) in co-fund Invesco European Equity fund and a little in Aviva Investors property trust.

2 questions should I make changes if so any thoughts to who next question are Willis Owen good any thoughts about others if not them to manage

Must stress been lazy and must improve with respect to this investment Thanks so any help appreciated
Mr Pegs is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
dunstonh
Old 04-11-2012, 7:30 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 74,147
Default

Quote:
I have a Co-fund account managed through Willis Owen
From what I can see, they are not managing anything. They are just the servicing agent. They are DIY and eliminate the initial charge as no advice is being given.

Quote:
2 questions should I make changes if so any thoughts to who next question are Willis Owen good any thoughts about others if not them to manage
Willis Owen are doing nothing other than giving you an key to invest on the Cofunds platform for which they are paid around 0.5% p.a. So, you cant say they are good or bad as they not doing anything that can be measured that way.

You choose your investments with the option you have.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
dunstonh is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Mr Pegs
Old 05-11-2012, 7:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunstonh View Post
From what I can see, they are not managing anything. They are just the servicing agent. They are DIY and eliminate the initial charge as no advice is being given.



Willis Owen are doing nothing other than giving you an key to invest on the Cofunds platform for which they are paid around 0.5% p.a. So, you cant say they are good or bad as they not doing anything that can be measured that way.

You choose your investments with the option you have.
Thanks do you have any thoughts to good funds or do you consider current ones I have good performing
Mr Pegs is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 4
jimjames
Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England, UK
Posts: 5,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunstonh View Post
Willis Owen are doing nothing other than giving you an key to invest on the Cofunds platform for which they are paid around 0.5% p.a. So, you cant say they are good or bad as they not doing anything that can be measured that way.
As per the comment above if you move to another agent using the Cofunds platform you should be able to get the 0.5% pa refunded. I use Cavendish Online and all the commission is rebated which is a useful addition to the portfolio.

If those are the only funds you hold then you may want to look at diversifying your portfolio to have a wider selection of areas but which will depend on your age, attitude to risk and other factors like savings and pensions.
Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
jimjames is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 5
Mr Pegs
Old 10-11-2012, 7:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjames View Post
As per the comment above if you move to another agent using the Cofunds platform you should be able to get the 0.5% pa refunded. I use Cavendish Online and all the commission is rebated which is a useful addition to the portfolio.

If those are the only funds you hold then you may want to look at diversifying your portfolio to have a wider selection of areas but which will depend on your age, attitude to risk and other factors like savings and pensions.

I will take a look at Cavendish online,, age I retire in 6 years,, I save in cash isa,, teachers pension in future after 32 years,, dont like risk any thoughts?
Mr Pegs is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 6
Mr Pegs
Old 10-11-2012, 8:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pegs View Post
I will take a look at Cavendish online,, age I retire in 6 years,, I save in cash isa,, teachers pension in future after 32 years,, dont like risk any thoughts?
Sorry should add 'any thoughts for diversification'
Mr Pegs is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 7
Mr Pegs
Old 13-11-2012, 9:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 22
Default

Another question what is difference between co-funds and Fidelity FundsNetwork as Cavendish state if I transfer from Willis Owen to them I cant have co-funds and must have fundsnetwork so anyone any dealing with both funds?
Mr Pegs is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 8
jem16
Old 13-11-2012, 9:37 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 14,994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pegs View Post
Another question what is difference between co-funds and Fidelity FundsNetwork as Cavendish state if I transfer from Willis Owen to them I cant have co-funds and must have fundsnetwork so anyone any dealing with both funds?
They are not funds.

Cofunds and Fidelity FundsNetwork are both funds supermarkets ( or funds platforms) which offer access to funds from all the different fund houses. The price at which they offer this service will vary and one may ofer a fund that the other does not and vice versa.
jem16 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 9
dunstonh
Old 14-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 74,147
Default

Cofunds is opening its platform up to clean share classes and non-commission paying investments if you go down the unbundled option. Other unbundled platforms have near 30,000 investment options available. How far Cofunds will move from its 1500 to that is not known at this time.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
dunstonh is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Reaper
Old 14-11-2012, 9:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunstonh View Post
Cofunds is opening its platform up to clean share classes and non-commission paying investments if you go down the unbundled option. Other unbundled platforms have near 30,000 investment options available.
Interesting. I hadn't heard about it previously.
Quote:
How far Cofunds will move from its 1500 to that is not known at this time.
1700 now and they will add another 300 by the end of the year apparently.
http://www.ifaonline.co.uk/ifaonline...odel-goes-live

The pricing sounds very similar to the Fidelity FundsNetwork unbundled option.
Reaper is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 11
talexuser
Old 14-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,403
Default

If you are under the existing bundled platform, how do you calculate whether it is worthwhile to change to the unbundled version?

For example switching a 20K fund in the bundled is 0.25% or around 50 and free in the unbundled, but if your total Cofunds portfolio is say 100K, the unbundled will cost around 290 a year.

Does it depend purely on how often you want to switch funds? I'm with Cavendish with full rebates at the moment.

Last edited by talexuser; 14-11-2012 at 10:48 PM.
talexuser is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
Reply

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 5:01 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 20 August 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 88
  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)
  • COLLABROSTARS

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.