IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
GAP Insurance? Is it PPI?
Views: 854
# 1
Queeny_chick
Old 31-10-2012, 9:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default GAP Insurance? Is it PPI?

I was sold "gap insurance" along with my car loan, via the car dealership. I distinctly remember being pressured into having this "gap insurance" and was even told I needed to see the manager, before reluctantly agreeing to it, it was described as insurance that would pay any gap in the value of my outstanding loan to the amount the insurance might pay out on the value of the car. The loan was paid off quite some years ago, I have written to Black Horse for my T&C's, after asking me to prove my maiden name, its been 6 weeks since I last heard anything, I am not sure if it is worth pursuing. A few questions;
1 - Is it the same as PPI?
2 - If yes, should I not bother with the T&C's and go straight for requesting my money back.
3 - Because it was sold via a car dealership do I have any claim anyway, I think this dealership has since gone bust.

I am grateful for any help and am really only doing this in the hope of stopping the 3 calls per day I get from PPI companies.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
di3004
Old 31-10-2012, 9:05 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hello there

From what I can recall, by coming across threads here in the past, I think it is different to that of PPI.

However, like any financial product, if your not happy and have concerns, you still have the right to make a complaint to the business/dealer that sold you the product.
The one and only "Dizzy Di"
# 3
Moneyineptitude
Old 31-10-2012, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queeny_chick View Post
Is it the same as PPI?
Not at all related.
Quote:
I am really only doing this in the hope of stopping the 3 calls per day I get from PPI companies.
How will making a complaint stop cold calls from opportunistic companies who have no way of knowing if you had PPI or not?
# 4
Moneyineptitude
Old 31-10-2012, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by di3004 View Post
if your not happy and have concerns, you still have the right to make a complaint to the business/dealer that sold you the product.
Only if those concerns are valid, verifiable and truthful of course.

I'm not sure what "concerns" there can be with gap insurance:
http://www.which.co.uk/money/insuran...gap-insurance/

Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 31-10-2012 at 9:10 PM.
# 5
di3004
Old 31-10-2012, 9:08 PM

......also to add, if the dealership is no longer active, or not been taken over by another business, and if sold the account after 14th Jan 2005, as they would have possibly been regulated by the FSA from then on, you may be able to make the complaint/claim to the Financial compensation scheme (FSCS).

No harm in contacting the FSCS to check with them first before you decide to go any further.

http://www.fscs.org.uk/contact-us/

They will check if the company are listed with them, if they are, and if your eligible, they will arrange to send you out a form to complete.
# 6
Moneyineptitude
Old 31-10-2012, 9:12 PM

Quote:
No harm in contacting the FSCS to check with them first before you decide to go any further.
I think you're rather jumping the gun here, Di, GAP isn't an insurance with the inherent faults of PPI.

It's a rather useful insurance as it provides a cushion against 'negative equity', whereby the level of debt exceeds the value of the car.

Read here:
http://www.which.co.uk/money/insuran...gap-insurance/

Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 31-10-2012 at 9:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyineptitude For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
di3004
Old 31-10-2012, 9:20 PM

Queeny-Chick

Many have asked this question in regards of GAP and can get it confused with PPI, but as far as I am aware it's not a product you have to have.

I was a newbie once upon a time and can remember asking all-sorts of questions when first starting out on this site and many others.

I still have lots to learn, but we've all been there, and of course have also learnt from my very own personal experience and others from this site.

Maybe worth checking through the long threads, OK it's endless LOL, but there are a few in regards of GAP, and see where they may have squared off.
# 8
Queeny_chick
Old 31-10-2012, 9:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for the speedy advice, I checked out the "Which" link and think I was probably sold it correctly, I did have high loan to value, think I've just got caught up with the whole PPI reclaiming, it was settled in 2003, so it is a long time ago. I just remember feeling very vulnerable and pressured when I was sold the loan. Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Queeny_chick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
di3004
Old 31-10-2012, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyineptitude View Post
I think you're rather jumping the gun here, Di, GAP isn't an insurance with the inherent faults of PPI.

It's a rather useful insurance as it provides a cushion against 'negative equity', whereby the level of debt exceeds the value of the car.

Read here:
www.which.co.uk/money/insurance/guides/gap-insurance/what-is-gap-insurance/

Helllllllllllooo there

Yes that is right, even though we are not sure of the "concerns", I think the FSCS deal with other issues apart from PPI, correct me if I'm mistaken.
My aunt had another matter dealt with through them, not ppi related but it was a matter that ended up being resolved by them.

Hey you getting addicted now then I see?
# 10
Moneyineptitude
Old 31-10-2012, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the speedy advice, I checked out the "Which" link and think I was probably sold it correctly, I did have high loan to value, think I've just got caught up with the whole PPI reclaiming, it was settled in 2003, so it is a long time ago.
As Di3004 said, you could still complain of mis-selling if you had a mind to. I don't know what your complaint might be, though!
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyineptitude For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Moneyineptitude
Old 31-10-2012, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Hey you getting addicted now then I see?
Not as bad as you with your 42,000 posts (yet)
# 12
di3004
Old 31-10-2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Not as bad as you with your 42,000 posts (yet)
You will get there sooner rather than later, and doing fab too!

I am all over the place at the mo, defo need new fingers for sure, these have worn out
# 13
di3004
Old 31-10-2012, 9:34 PM

Quote:
As Di3004 said, you could still complain of mis-selling if you had a mind to. I don't know what your complaint might be, though!
That's the thing, I don't think it will come under the mis selling category as such, "I think it would be the case if they didn't pay out for a claim made for what is covered" but this does not apply to the OP, so not sure as said, this one I'm not too certain.
# 14
malco1957
Old 12-11-2012, 5:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I was pressurised into buying GAP insurance for an expensive Audi, when I could no longer affort it I contacted the finance company and they offered to take the car back. Job done I thought, any shortages would be met by the insurance ... WRONG ended up facing a large gap between the amount I'd financed and the auction sale of the car. Then they came after me for the difference..some 15k, which I feel was misselling of the policy and was unfair. Of course they tell me now at every attempt to claim it is their fault that I'm wrong. Am I wrong or should I claim against them ?

Last edited by malco1957; 12-11-2012 at 5:05 PM.
# 15
dunstonh
Old 12-11-2012, 5:30 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
I was pressurised into buying GAP insurance for an expensive Audi, when I could no longer affort it
Sounds like GAP was a good idea then. I would question why you were buying a car you felt was expensive.

Quote:
when I could no longer affort it I contacted the finance company and they offered to take the car back. Job done I thought, any shortages would be met by the insurance
GAP has never done that. It is actually very simple in what it covers.

Quote:
which I feel was misselling of the policy and was unfair.
What evidence do you have that shows the dealer told you the policy covered something that it doesnt?

Quote:
Of course they tell me now at every attempt to claim it is their fault that I'm wrong. Am I wrong or should I claim against them ?
The problem is (as you can see from my response) that you almost certainly cannot prove your allegation. The dealer could have done that. It doesnt sound likely. It it more likely you have misunderstood or forgot. Dealers are there to sell what they can. They are allowed to pressure sale as long as they do not cross a line. Even if the dealer did give you a bunch of porkies, the problem is going to be proving that.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.