Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > Disconnecting from virgin media TV. (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Disconnecting from virgin media TV.
Closed Thread
Views: 4,412
# 1
maxfactor
Old 12-04-2007, 8:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Disconnecting from virgin media TV.

Firstly sorry If Im posting in the wrong area!.I couldnt find the area where to post to ask about Virgin media disconnection,so if anyone knows here It would be very appreciated.My dilema is, Im doing my friend a favour and waiting in their house today while they get sky TV installed and Im waiting in their house tomorrow while their BT line gets reconnected.Well they told me on Saturday a Virgin Media engineer will come round and disconnect the existing virgin line, but what I find rather unusual is my friend also said they would take all the boxes meaning the external box but also the actual virgin media box thats in the house, the one you watch your TV through surely the internal box belongs to my friend and not virgin media as they have been with them for years.Is the only way to disconnect the line by them also taking the external box away which I also find strange as maybe they would like to go back with them at a later date.Anyone who,s been through the virgin media disconnection process I would be very interested what they do.My friend currently has telephone /line Broadband and TV with them till Saturday.Thanks in advance Max.
# 2
penrhyn
Old 12-04-2007, 9:07 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Whilst you buy your Sky digibox, Virgin only loan you theirs so they are within their rights to take them away when you cease subscribing to them.
The night is dark and full of terrors.
The Following User Says Thank You to penrhyn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
eamon
Old 12-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

The first thing Virgin will do is disconnect the cable (for both tv & phone) at a roadside cabinet. You don't even need to wait in for this to happen. They could easily come to your house at a more convenient time to collect the cable box.

yours

Eamon
The Following User Says Thank You to eamon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Omertron
Old 12-04-2007, 11:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Slight corrections to both the posts above, you rent the set-top box from VM and therefore it's theirs by right, however, very often they won't collect it because your not in or there aren't enough engineers to collect them.

They don't actually have to even visit your property to disconnect you, that can all be done at the billing systems to stop your services. They'll leave the box outside the property so you can reconnect in the future if you wanted to (without paying for a new installation again).
The Following User Says Thank You to Omertron For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
maxfactor
Old 13-04-2007, 12:07 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for all your help,I,ll guess I,ll have to wait and see. I stayed in for my friends sky today, and the BT tomorrow but they,ll have to be in themselves on saturday as they think its the norm from what they were told for the internal and external boxes to be taken.So they just agreed to be in.

Last edited by maxfactor; 13-04-2007 at 12:17 AM. Reason: .
# 6
Alfie E
Old 13-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omertron View Post
Slight corrections to both the posts above, you rent the set-top box from VM and therefore it's theirs by right…
Slight addition to the slight correction. Many years ago, it was possible to buy the hardware outright. Also, if the internal box is years old, they won’t want it back. I don’t even think they’d particularly want the newer stuff, now. They’re looking to roll out hardware with Virgin Media branding.
古池や蛙飛込む水の音
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfie E For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
maxfactor
Old 14-04-2007, 4:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

While I was waiting in yesterday for my friends BT line,virgin media telephoned and said they would be picking up the internal box am saturday and they came early this morning and picked the old box up.They turned everything off by sending a signal at 12am saturday.So now I know.I was a little puzzled originally.The box still belongs to them.Thanks Regards Max.
# 8
dawny10
Old 17-04-2007, 4:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I can still get terrestrial channels by plugging my TV into the old wall cable connecter from a previous tenant (handy as there is no external aerial). Does this mean they haven't 'switched off' the cable?
# 9
mcfisco
Old 17-04-2007, 5:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It would be unusual for the cable company to disconnect you for the street cab - they usually just leave the live feed in to your house in tact which will carry the full range of signals but only Chs 1 - 5 will be viewable without a set top box of some sort so as dawny10 found out you can treat this feed in the same way you would a normal aerial [only it doesn't carry the freeview muxes]
Closed Thread