Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > Discuss the Cheap Wine Discount Finder tool (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Discuss the Cheap Wine Discount Finder tool
Views: 6,416
# 1
WOW Factor 0
MSE Jenny
Old 01-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Senior Writer
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Discuss the Cheap Wine Discount Finder tool

Hi all, we've built a new Wine Discount Finder tool to uncover hidden sales at Tesco Wine, Majestic, M&S & Slurp.

If you could let us know what you think, that would be fab. How are the results for you? Are there any stores you'd like to see added?

Thanks
for your help!

MSE Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 02-10-2012 at 8:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Jenny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Lara44
Old 01-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

A range rather than a maximum price per bottle would be good. Links to reviews in the press?
2014 in 2014 / 667.46 / 33.1%
# 3
borkid
Old 01-10-2012, 1:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As above and add Morrisons to the list of shops. If reviews are added then include shops mentioned in the review.
# 4
uksavergirl
Old 01-10-2012, 2:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

It would be good to see some kind of rating from other customers or wine experts to get an idea of what other people think of the wine.

I like it without though and would use it.
# 5
lb364
Old 01-10-2012, 4:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Interesting tool. Personally don't buy cases of wine but if it could search all supermarkets for prices/offers on single bottles then I would, esp. champagne...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lb364 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Kerrynl
Old 01-10-2012, 5:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Please add Zinfandel grape to the search and agree with others, I'd like to be able to search for my favourite brand.
# 7
SomersetSaver
Old 01-10-2012, 6:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Looks like a good idea.
Some suggestions:
1) Can you search on multiple countries and/or add Region? For example, I prefer New World wine and so it would be great if that was an option
2) Not sure if it's because it is in development but would expect some more information to be available once I click on Wine Info e.g. the year (don't know if you're getting a good deal unless you know the year!)
3) Actually, being able to search by year would be quite useful too; probably asking too much now!!
The Following User Says Thank You to SomersetSaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
fizzyfish
Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Curious why only one of the big 4 supermarkets is represented?

Not a fan myself as I don't think encouraging finding super cheap booze is a good thing necessarily.

There is the issue of deals not available across the Scottish border, because of the reason above

Will every page, if it does go ahaed, verify location to gain correct deal, and also drinkaware link too?

I think lots of things could be added to this, but not a drinker or a fan of those who drink to excess, so sorry I can't be more positive to this tool
# 9
leithman1
Old 02-10-2012, 12:24 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Nice idea

I realise that the tool is still in development. It must be a big job to get each of the suppliers to supply links to their products. it is unlikely that Morrisons will sign up as they do not have an online presence other than their offers sheets.
I would wonder if it is worth spending your time developing this tool though.
mysupermarket.com have the facility to check prices per bottle in each of their supermarkets. Not a per case option though. This also sorts out the difference between English and Scottish pricing by registering your postcode.
Would it not be possible to link to this site rather than re-invent another wheel.

Keep up the good work generally though.
# 10
MSE Jenny
Old 02-10-2012, 8:04 PM
Senior Writer
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi, thanks for all your feedback. Just to let you know, prices are nationwide (including Scotland) for all the stores we feature.
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Jenny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
stevehen
Old 03-10-2012, 1:25 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cool a serious undertaking

To match the degree of choice of some of the online sellers [eg. Naked, who you mention - I have also used Virgin & Laithwaites, to get the intro offers anyway, why not add them too? ;-] you're going to have to write a lot more parameters and drop downs.
At least try to include a grape 'other' choice - it's what i usually buy ;->
Otherwise you'll end up with a straight alternative to the mysupermarket facility [for the infussy end of the market] or the Wines Direct one [for the other]... and is that worth the time?
# 12
quigger
Old 03-10-2012, 8:24 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

No Pinotage listed?
# 13
droodleskins
Old 03-10-2012, 9:50 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Can't see that Pinot Noir for 42 ? although it says 45% discount it doesn't take it off at the checkout !
# 14
a6v
Old 03-10-2012, 11:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Doesn't work always

The Tesco and M&S discount links don't work, when clicked they display full price on respective websites not discounted price as per the tool. Majestic does work !!

Great idea though work in progress I guess and improvements needed still.

Do add Virgin wines and Laithwaites to this tool which will cover a lot of options.. Maybe the tool should produce output irrespective of seller with just the biggest discount. User should be able to select specific retailer, max price and sorting as well.... My 2 pence worth !!
# 15
bufforpington
Old 03-10-2012, 12:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Please add organic

Please add organic as an option on the drop down. Organic people like bargains too!
# 16
PConnolly
Old 03-10-2012, 3:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Resist the temptation to become a wine information centre, if people want vintages, what goes with fish, that sort of thing, just say no.

A nice and simple price generator would be lovely.

Please add option to start with highest prices - for me at least this is not about finding cheap wine (there's gallons of that readily available) but keener prices for better quality.

Toodle pip
# 17
twowheel
Old 03-10-2012, 5:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile wine discount finder

Tried it and liked it. I would then be happy to look at suppliers website or internet search to find more info about the wines
# 18
Rieslingnut
Old 03-10-2012, 5:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Wrong focus

This tool looks to me like something that's been put together by someone who doesn't know much about what makes up the price of a bottle of wine or understands the difference between "cheap" and "good value". It's all very well grabbing "3 for 10" deals but on a bottle costing 3.33 the tax element is 2.45. Of the 88p that remains some will be down to the cost of packaging, some to transportation, some will be profit and not very much will relate to what you are hoping to drink! Tax in booze increases every year so unless wine drinkers are prepared to move their target bottle price up as well the quality of what they drink is declining. A 4 bottle of wine today is less good that a 4 bottle last year. Half price wines sold in supermarkets have their price doubled for amonth beforehand so they can show an apparent saving. I was in Tesco today where there are bottles of First Cape being offered at 10.49 yet it's 4.99 in Sainsburys.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rieslingnut For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Harryps
Old 03-10-2012, 6:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cool Cheap Wine Finder

I am no wine snob or expert but having had wines from some of these highly discounted companies they may be big on discounts but very poor on quality. My experience tells me having used some of these discounted wine companies they have to discount them to sell them!
The Following User Says Thank You to Harryps For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Greybeard0151
Old 03-10-2012, 6:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Cool

For some time I've checked In "Quaffers offers" before I go to any supermarket. It gives something to aim at.
For anyone really interested in wine the site might be of interest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greybeard0151 For This Useful Post: Show me >>