Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hulahoop09
    • By hulahoop09 25th Sep 12, 12:31 PM
    • 683Posts
    • 705Thanks
    hulahoop09
    Cheapest way to buy chicken
    • 25th Sep 12, 12:31 PM
    Cheapest way to buy chicken 25th Sep 12 at 12:31 PM
    Hiya

We use quite a bit of chicken as this is the main meat my husband likes and as our daughter (11 months old) has milk protein intolerance she basically has a meat potato and veg diet I am finding it difficult on a strict budget and was wondering what the cheapest way to buy chicken is? We dont have a butchers nearby (and dont drive) so I tend to buy from asda or farmfoods.We use it for curry, chicken dinner, marinaded chicken etc etc

Any advice qould be welcome
    Last edited by hulahoop09; 28-09-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    July 2013 wins: Lilac Skoot, Night out for 2 at Nandos & Cineworld
    Best wins so far: 500, GHD styler, Tassimo T40 Machine
Page 1
    • Raksha
    • By Raksha 25th Sep 12, 12:36 PM
    • 4,519 Posts
    • 6,095 Thanks
    Raksha
    • 25th Sep 12, 12:36 PM
    • 25th Sep 12, 12:36 PM
    I'd love to be able to afford free range chicken, but I can't I find the cheapest is Tesco Frozen 'Everyday' Chicken breasts. Alternatively their 'discount brand' are on offer and cheaper, so keep your eye out.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • sonastin
    • 25th Sep 12, 12:38 PM
    • 25th Sep 12, 12:38 PM
    aldi do whole chickens pretty cheap. I find its easier to get all the meat off it if I cook it in the slow cooker.
  • rachbc
    • 25th Sep 12, 12:42 PM
    I rate aldi whole chook -its just over 2 a kg. I also buy skinless bone in thighs from the asian shop for 2.60 kg and these a great - very little waste and the bones get stashed for stock
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • thefamousexcuse
    • By thefamousexcuse 25th Sep 12, 12:42 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    thefamousexcuse
    I second aldi, and also Halal chicken in mr T is sometimes cheaper than their own brand. Also if you have a turkish/indian etc supermarket around they do really cheap chickens, can pick a full decent sized chicken from around 2.20!

HTH

TFE
    xxx
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life......until I go and buy something!

• Eliza
    • By Eliza 25th Sep 12, 1:06 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    Eliza
    • 25th Sep 12, 1:06 PM
    • 25th Sep 12, 1:06 PM
    I third Aldi, their free range chickens are good but even their normal chicken is red tractor so not as bad as it could be.
  • spike7451
    • 25th Sep 12, 1:17 PM
    • 25th Sep 12, 1:17 PM
    You can buy a bigggg bag of Sainsbobs basics frozen chicken portions for around 4 or ASDA ones (smaller bag) for about 1.60,you get breast,thigh & drummers,I usually have a breast portion & drummer for Sunday dinner & de-bone what I need for curries.
  • floss2
    • 25th Sep 12, 1:31 PM
    • 25th Sep 12, 1:31 PM
    Aldi F/R are 4.99 each, half the price of Tesco.
    • hulahoop09
    • By hulahoop09 25th Sep 12, 1:36 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    hulahoop09
    • 25th Sep 12, 1:36 PM
    • 25th Sep 12, 1:36 PM
    Thanks. At the moment I buy asda SP chicken fillets for 3.99 I think but some months I can be buying 4 packs! Lol.
    • Popperwell
    • By Popperwell 25th Sep 12, 2:32 PM
    • 5,063 Posts
    • 48,466 Thanks
    Popperwell
    Agree with all that has said so far(I only have access to Tesco's unless I go out of town)but adding bus/taxi fares to the cost defeats the idea of ssaving money on food or getting more for my money. So if I want a full chicken I have to go for their Everyday Value Range. When Aldi's open here I may have more choice.

TBH we do have a Heron's so perhaps there could be something I have missed.

A quick scout around ASDA and Sainbury's rare for me(but I had a bus ticket giving unlimited journeys across the week)and they seemed ok.

I guess price is also governed by whether you are buying "Fresh" chickens or frozen. Also, whether you buy cheaper cuts(Thighs, drumsticks or breast)

I did a quick search on the net a few weeks ago and it's big business buying in bulk and having it delivered(reputable company)and seemed reasonable but it's the initial outlay of spending a big amount and then needing a freezer to store it all.

Be great if yiu could get together with others and share the cost.

I've been looking at food coops but again around my area they are rare, I'd still have to travel to them(none on my town)and they only do fruit and veg.

Some in other areas miles away do more and work with local dairies and farms increasing the range available.

In time perhaps this may improve and give another option over supermarkets...every town should have one...It could help those on low wages/benefits, those who are ill/retired on a meagre pension.
    Last edited by Popperwell; 25-09-2012 at 2:35 PM.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
    • maman
    • By maman 25th Sep 12, 4:29 PM
    • 14,254 Posts
    • 84,500 Thanks
    maman
    You can buy a bigggg bag of Sainsbobs basics frozen chicken portions for around 4 or ASDA ones (smaller bag) for about 1.60,you get breast,thigh & drummers,I usually have a breast portion & drummer for Sunday dinner & de-bone what I need for curries.
    Originally posted by spike7451
    Like spike, I buy this

from Sainsbury's. It works at about 1.60 per kg which is about as cheap as it gets. I mostly use the pieces for casseroles but there are sometimes some huge pieces which will make a small roast for two with lashings of veg and gravy.
    • camNolliesMUMMY
    • By camNolliesMUMMY 25th Sep 12, 5:40 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 4,461 Thanks
    camNolliesMUMMY
    Makro if you know anyone with a card bag of 5kg breasts roughly 20-24 for 19
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol

Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 0/270
  • daisiegg
    Just out of curiosity, why does your daughter being intolerant to milk mean you use a lot of chicken? No kids here yet so don't understand
  • valk_scot
    Yes, I was wondering that as well. What has buying chicken has to do with milk protein intolerance? My DD used to get patches of eczema if she drank cows milk. I breast fed her up till 15 months but there's also soya based formulas, and after they're off breast or formula there's plenty of soya milk products in the supermarket. It's not just the protein you have to make up if your child isn't drinking normal milks, you have to be really careful to supply calcium and the fat soluble vitamins she'd normally get from milk too. A good non-milk follow on formula would provide all that.
    Last edited by valk_scot; 25-09-2012 at 6:41 PM.
    Val.
    • hulahoop09
    • By hulahoop09 28th Sep 12, 10:14 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    hulahoop09
    Yes, I was wondering that as well. What has buying chicken has to do with milk protein intolerance? My DD used to get patches of eczema if she drank cows milk. I breast fed her up till 15 months but there's also soya based formulas, and after they're off breast or formula there's plenty of soya milk products in the supermarket. It's not just the protein you have to make up if your child isn't drinking normal milks, you have to be really careful to supply calcium and the fat soluble vitamins she'd normally get from milk too. A good non-milk follow on formula would provide all that.
    Originally posted by valk_scot

Sorry I didnt make it very clear but we eat a lot of chicken anyway as that is mainly only meat my husband likes but as my daugther has a limited diet due to her being milk intolerant I do try to make a lot of meat, potato and veg based meals for us all . She is on a prescribed milk at the moment (nutramigen aa) as we have had to be very careful on not overloading her with soya products also. She has had a small amount of soya milk on her cereal from 6 months. Normal soya milk isnt recommended as a drinking milk until 2 years+ but she may be able to have alpro junior from 1 year old if she can tolerate (or she can continue on soya formula). She is under a dietician and so we have support but have only within the past couple of days been able to start introducing a soya formula. She will likely have to be on this now til well after 1 year old and we cant attempt to reintroduce cows milk products as she is still intolerant of them until she is 18 months old. There isnt a soya follow on milk, it is just soya formula which says suitable from birth (but in fact isnt recommended til 6 months+) so she is just on that. Infasoy by cow and gate. We are also going to be starting her on some vitamin (inc calcium needed) drops as she is rejecting her prescription milk more now also. I requested these within the past couple of days as there was no mention from dietician or HV about these. Apparantly the prescription milk does have pretty much all a baby needs and then combined with diet from 6 months. I didnt mean to come across that I just feed her on chicken, she does have a very good varied diet. Lol.
  • spike7451
    Like spike, I buy this

from Sainsbury's. It works at about 1.60 per kg which is about as cheap as it gets. I mostly use the pieces for casseroles but there are sometimes some huge pieces which will make a small roast for two with lashings of veg and gravy.
    Originally posted by maman
    I normally have a good root around & cop a good feel of the bags before I decide on the one...
    • madnotstupid
    • By madnotstupid 28th Sep 12, 12:33 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    madnotstupid
    Don't know if this is at all relevant or helpful to you, but is there a meat processing factory any where near you?
    The one near me is for chickens and has a shop open afternoons at the end of the week. You can get really large chickens for 2-3 each, but also often lots of other meat - sausages, bacon, whole joints of pork and beef, which has come from other factories, often frozen, but sometimes just chilled. It's fine, I understand it's caused by their orders from supermarkets being shorter than they anticipated.

I buy 3 or 4 whole chickens a month, joint them and stock up my freezer.

I was just thinking the other products must come from factories somewhere and that maybe they would also have a bigger range of products than you would expect.
    • cheerfulness4
    • By cheerfulness4 28th Sep 12, 1:09 PM
    • 2,812 Posts
    • 25,231 Thanks
    cheerfulness4
    The Farmfoods frozen 1.7kg chickens are on at 3 for 10 at the mo, seeing as OP uses that store.
    JULY 1st-31ST GC =0/123
    3 per day,
    15 float for extras
    15 float for non-foods
    (3 adults)
    Make do, mend & Minimise in 2015 (Use it up, wear it out!)
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 28th Sep 12, 1:27 PM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    Tesco F/R chickens were half price this morning.
    • narabanekeater
    • By narabanekeater 28th Sep 12, 1:36 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 2,753 Thanks
    narabanekeater
    Justa q ucik Hello from another Mum with a DD with CMPI and allergy to Soya. It can be a mindfield to find foods suitabel cannot it. DD is also on Nutraimgen. For us its fresh fresh fresh all the way. If you ever fancy a chat feel free to message me
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,821Posts Today

7,293Users online

Martin's Twitter