Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking > Legally Enforceable, DVLA Supported Parking Charg... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Legally Enforceable, DVLA Supported Parking Charge Notices
Closed Thread
Views: 1,853
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Fergie76
Old 21-09-2012, 2:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,596
Default Legally Enforceable, DVLA Supported Parking Charge Notices

Well that's what TCP claim.

http://www.townandcityparking.co.uk/...ing_DL_TCP.pdf

Quote:
At TCP we have developed robust enforcement
procedures which combine efficiency with cost
effectiveness. Rather than clamping, we prefer to
issue legally enforceable, DVLA supported parking
charge notices
.
I parked at Asda the other day and decide to have look at the signs in the car park. There wasn't much on there tbh, just the usual stuff, what got me thinking was on the sign it said, full T&C's available from TCP. Now just imagine for one minute the contract and penalty could be legally binding, how on earth can you agree to something that you can't see? If all T&C's are not displayed how can you agree to them.

So that got me looking on TCP's website and came across the above? Does anyone know if a wee email to DVLA might be in order asking if the support TCP's parking charges?
Fergie76 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Fergie76 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
BASFORDLAD
Old 21-09-2012, 2:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,230
Default

Legally enforceable by who?

I wonder if they went to Solihull college of law along with our other erstwhile PPC owners
For everthing else there's mastercard.
For clampers there's Barclaycard.
BASFORDLAD is offline
Report Post
# 3
RENEGADE
Old 21-09-2012, 2:44 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 946
Default

Quote:
Rather than clamping, we prefer to
issue legally enforceable, DVLA supported parking
charge notices.
I think they've been drinking too much of their own TCP - they shouldn't be able to buy it over the counter!

Shady as clamping was, acceptance of the vile method was never stretched to pay and display contraventions at public car parks in the first place.
RENEGADE is offline
Report Post
# 4
BASFORDLAD
Old 21-09-2012, 2:49 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,230
Default

I wonder who at the DVLA approved these notices?

If they did at all..... Bit like companies saying they have been approved by trading standards when its complete tosh
For everthing else there's mastercard.
For clampers there's Barclaycard.
BASFORDLAD is offline
Report Post
# 5
RENEGADE
Old 21-09-2012, 2:56 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASFORDLAD View Post
I wonder who at the DVLA approved these notices?

If they did at all..... Bit like companies saying they have been approved by trading standards when its complete tosh
TCP is the author of the falsehood. The DVLA do not even come into this outfit. It is private, law is law, nobody has aspired to prevent the landowner from reclaiming losses; the licensing agency no more influences this sector than DEFRA or the DHSS.
RENEGADE is offline
Report Post
# 6
BASFORDLAD
Old 21-09-2012, 3:32 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,230
Default

Maybe an email to DVLA is in order?
For everthing else there's mastercard.
For clampers there's Barclaycard.
BASFORDLAD is offline
Report Post
# 7
maninthestreet
Old 21-09-2012, 3:33 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 12,859
Default

I suspected they are tryng to make out they are 'DVLA approved' because the DVLA sold them the name and address of the car's RK.
"You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
maninthestreet is offline
Report Post
# 8
RENEGADE
Old 21-09-2012, 9:18 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 946
Default

Precisely, "sold them". The police can obtain all the information they need within seconds on the radio. If these enforcement companies are such an authority, how come they have to stick their hands in their pocket and beg the DVLA for those details.
RENEGADE is offline
Report Post
# 9
Kite2010
Old 21-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Salisbury
Posts: 3,867
Default

Lets start a petition to get the DVLA to raise it's charges, if it's going to sell them the data they might as well make more money from it. Say £10 a shot.

I know it should be a petition to stop them selling personal data, but that's never going to happen, they won't turn away a few million a year of added income.
Kite2010 is offline
Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kite2010 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
atrixblue.-MFR-.
Old 21-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Wales.
Posts: 5,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite2010 View Post
Lets start a petition to get the DVLA to raise it's charges, if it's going to sell them the data they might as well make more money from it. Say £10 a shot.

I know it should be a petition to stop them selling personal data, but that's never going to happen, they won't turn away a few million a year of added income.
go one better petition the DVLA to give us the option on a v5c to OPT OUT of personal data being given or sold to outside or inside depertments except for the plod and HM courts etc, and those who havent opted out to increase the fee's to £10.00 (admin only requirement) fee to recoup the losses from the OPT out scheme with strict data protection legislation in place to control the data exposure excluding the likes of PPC's who will then have no basis to apply for the details as brech of contract would no longer become a viable reason to obtain such details.
I make spelling mistakes, its not intentional, its a condition I have please afford people who have these conditions some respect and not single out their posts for correcting mistakes.
atrixblue.-MFR-. is offline
Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atrixblue.-MFR-. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Buzby
Old 21-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 7,673
Default

No way, I want to retain the right to obtain details of anyone I need to get the details of and am not willing to lose this. If they want to charge firms £10 per enquiry, that's fine - but their business model will dictate the 'fines' will need to increase to cover these costs.
Buzby is offline
Report Post
# 12
assj
Old 21-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixblue.-MFR-. View Post
go one better petition the DVLA to give us the option on a v5c to OPT OUT of personal data being given or sold to outside or inside depertments except for the plod and HM courts etc, and those who havent opted out to increase the fee's to £10.00 (admin only requirement) fee to recoup the losses from the OPT out scheme with strict data protection legislation in place to control the data exposure excluding the likes of PPC's who will then have no basis to apply for the details as brech of contract would no longer become a viable reason to obtain such details.
This is the real world!

If they couldn't make money then we would just see the car parks removed and sold to build on.

We wouldn't gain, so whats the point. Whilst some idiots are paying the tickets the car park doors remain open. If they loose control and nobody pays then why would we even have these car parks open anymore... Even the local gov have sold off so many parking spaces in recent years (Fact)
Halifax Overdraft 0% charges - £2000
Barclaycard 0% - £675
Mother - Halifax 0% - £2113
Halifax One Card 0% - £1527
assj is offline
Report Post
# 13
RENEGADE
Old 21-09-2012, 11:18 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby View Post
No way, I want to retain the right to obtain details of anyone I need to get the details of and am not willing to lose this. If they want to charge firms £10 per enquiry, that's fine - but their business model will dictate the 'fines' will need to increase to cover these costs.
Nobody is taking away your "right", nor mine. With a raised fee, one will think, "ah, do I really need this information?". If they do, they'll pay £1,000. I mean, if they're right in their demand, they'll get it back in the end.
RENEGADE is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to RENEGADE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
trisontana
Old 21-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 8,190
Default

I don't think many retail parks or supermarkets would sell off their car parks for building land. Where are their customers going to park? It's in these sort of places were most PPCs operate.

A better idea is to have pay on exit barriers. That way you get rid of PPCs and the supermarket has control over unauthorised parking.
I am an "internet guru" (copyright Stephan Hall @ UKCPS)
trisontana is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
assj
Old 21-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisontana View Post
I don't think many retail parks or supermarkets would sell off their car parks for building land. Where are their customers going to park? It's in these sort of places were most PPCs operate.

A better idea is to have pay on exit barriers. That way you get rid of PPCs and the supermarket has control over unauthorised parking.
True I suppose, I thought that they always cancelled the charges anyway.

Well I sent a complaint to TCP when I got a ticket on ASDA. Everyone said ignore but I couldn't because I didn't want letters to go to the RK.

They sent me a letter 3 months later and confirmed that it had been cancelled.

So I guess ASDA has told them to cancel whatever people complaint about? Why else would they if they want the money so much?

Anyway I don't get tickets on supermarket car parks, unless I forget to pay! LOL. I can't understand why people overstay... I never consider a car park like this as an option to park for a long time.

I notice a lot of Local Gov departments are now taking these car parks as their own and dealing with enforcement under off street TRO'S.
Halifax Overdraft 0% charges - £2000
Barclaycard 0% - £675
Mother - Halifax 0% - £2113
Halifax One Card 0% - £1527
assj is offline
Report Post
# 16
dacouch
Old 21-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17,183
Default

You can get them in some serious trouble for breaching the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations which are the law. Specifically this sub section.

"4. Not being true to the terms of the endorsement
Claiming that a trader (including his/her commercial
practices) or a product has been approved, endorsed
or authorised by a public or private body when he/she/it
has not, or making such a claim without complying with
the terms of the approval, endorsement or authorisation"

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...egs/oft979.pdf

Enjoy
dacouch is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dacouch For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
surfboy1
Old 22-09-2012, 12:39 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: cornwall
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by assj View Post

Anyway I don't get tickets on supermarket car parks, unless I forget to pay! LOL. I can't understand why people overstay... I never consider a car park like this as an option to park for a long time. .
I never understand why retail parks only have a 2 hour limit to park on them.
A retail park near me has a whole host of stores, cinema, restraunts, bowling, supermarkets ect. but only has a 2 hour limit on it. That has to be bad buisness for the retailers on there ! I dont know why they let it go on!
surfboy1 is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surfboy1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
HO87
Old 22-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Off-shore
Posts: 3,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfboy1 View Post
I never understand why retail parks only have a 2 hour limit to park on them.
A retail park near me has a whole host of stores, cinema, restraunts, bowling, supermarkets ect. but only has a 2 hour limit on it. That has to be bad buisness for the retailers on there ! I dont know why they let it go on!
The 2 hour limit may be displayed in retail parks but will almost certainly be a product of the PPC that patrol it and, IMHO, is simply a tripwire establish to generate revenue. The logic is inescapable. If there are cinemas, bowling allies etc etc then the obvious purpose of the retail park is to draw people in and keep them there until their pockets have been emptied. The time limit is unreasonable and serves only one purpose - and that isn't the overall purpose of the park.
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell
HO87 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to HO87 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
peter_the_piper
Old 22-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: sunny sussex
Posts: 17,748
Default

Same near us, bowling alley closing due to clampers after 3 hours.
Sorry, normal service will be resumed shortly.
peter_the_piper is offline
Report Post
# 20
nottoolate
Old 26-09-2012, 4:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie76 View Post
Does anyone know if a wee email to DVLA might be in order asking if the support TCP's parking charges?
emailed, and dvla responded thus

Quote:
Thank you for your note, which has been passed to me to respond to.

I can confirm that is a misrepresentation and DVLA does not "support" these notices in the way that the statement could lead people to believe.

We have asked Town and City Parking to remove this as a matter of urgency and will be reporting this to the BPA.

Kind regards,


Data Sharing Team
Operational Support & Development Directorate | C1/East | DVLA | Swansea | SA6 7JL
nottoolate is offline
Report Post
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nottoolate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 1:22 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 26 November 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.