Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking > Legally Enforceable, DVLA Supported Parking Charg... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Legally Enforceable, DVLA Supported Parking Charge Notices
Closed Thread
Views: 1,853
# 1
Fergie76
Old 21-09-2012, 2:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Legally Enforceable, DVLA Supported Parking Charge Notices

Well that's what TCP claim.

http://www.townandcityparking.co.uk/...ing_DL_TCP.pdf

Quote:
At TCP we have developed robust enforcement
procedures which combine efficiency with cost
effectiveness. Rather than clamping, we prefer to
issue legally enforceable, DVLA supported parking
charge notices
I parked at Asda the other day and decide to have look at the signs in the car park. There wasn't much on there tbh, just the usual stuff, what got me thinking was on the sign it said, full T&C's available from TCP. Now just imagine for one minute the contract and penalty could be legally binding, how on earth can you agree to something that you can't see? If all T&C's are not displayed how can you agree to them.

So that got me looking on TCP's website and came across the above? Does anyone know if a wee email to DVLA might be in order asking if the support TCP's parking charges?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fergie76 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
BASFORDLAD
Old 21-09-2012, 2:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Legally enforceable by who?

I wonder if they went to Solihull college of law along with our other erstwhile PPC owners
For everthing else there's mastercard.
For clampers there's Barclaycard.
# 3
RENEGADE
Old 21-09-2012, 2:44 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Rather than clamping, we prefer to
issue legally enforceable, DVLA supported parking
charge notices.
I think they've been drinking too much of their own TCP - they shouldn't be able to buy it over the counter!

Shady as clamping was, acceptance of the vile method was never stretched to pay and display contraventions at public car parks in the first place.
# 4
BASFORDLAD
Old 21-09-2012, 2:49 PM

I wonder who at the DVLA approved these notices?

If they did at all..... Bit like companies saying they have been approved by trading standards when its complete tosh
# 5
RENEGADE
Old 21-09-2012, 2:56 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASFORDLAD View Post
I wonder who at the DVLA approved these notices?

If they did at all..... Bit like companies saying they have been approved by trading standards when its complete tosh
TCP is the author of the falsehood. The DVLA do not even come into this outfit. It is private, law is law, nobody has aspired to prevent the landowner from reclaiming losses; the licensing agency no more influences this sector than DEFRA or the DHSS.
# 6
BASFORDLAD
Old 21-09-2012, 3:32 PM

Maybe an email to DVLA is in order?
# 7
maninthestreet
Old 21-09-2012, 3:33 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I suspected they are tryng to make out they are 'DVLA approved' because the DVLA sold them the name and address of the car's RK.
"You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
# 8
RENEGADE
Old 21-09-2012, 9:18 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Precisely, "sold them". The police can obtain all the information they need within seconds on the radio. If these enforcement companies are such an authority, how come they have to stick their hands in their pocket and beg the DVLA for those details.
# 9
Kite2010
Old 21-09-2012, 10:36 PM

Lets start a petition to get the DVLA to raise it's charges, if it's going to sell them the data they might as well make more money from it. Say £10 a shot.

I know it should be a petition to stop them selling personal data, but that's never going to happen, they won't turn away a few million a year of added income.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kite2010 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
atrixblue.-MFR-.
Old 21-09-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite2010 View Post
Lets start a petition to get the DVLA to raise it's charges, if it's going to sell them the data they might as well make more money from it. Say £10 a shot.

I know it should be a petition to stop them selling personal data, but that's never going to happen, they won't turn away a few million a year of added income.
go one better petition the DVLA to give us the option on a v5c to OPT OUT of personal data being given or sold to outside or inside depertments except for the plod and HM courts etc, and those who havent opted out to increase the fee's to £10.00 (admin only requirement) fee to recoup the losses from the OPT out scheme with strict data protection legislation in place to control the data exposure excluding the likes of PPC's who will then have no basis to apply for the details as brech of contract would no longer become a viable reason to obtain such details.
I make spelling mistakes, its not intentional, its a condition I have please afford people who have these conditions some respect and not single out their posts for correcting mistakes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atrixblue.-MFR-. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Buzby
Old 21-09-2012, 11:07 PM

No way, I want to retain the right to obtain details of anyone I need to get the details of and am not willing to lose this. If they want to charge firms £10 per enquiry, that's fine - but their business model will dictate the 'fines' will need to increase to cover these costs.
# 12
assj
Old 21-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixblue.-MFR-. View Post
go one better petition the DVLA to give us the option on a v5c to OPT OUT of personal data being given or sold to outside or inside depertments except for the plod and HM courts etc, and those who havent opted out to increase the fee's to £10.00 (admin only requirement) fee to recoup the losses from the OPT out scheme with strict data protection legislation in place to control the data exposure excluding the likes of PPC's who will then have no basis to apply for the details as brech of contract would no longer become a viable reason to obtain such details.
This is the real world!

If they couldn't make money then we would just see the car parks removed and sold to build on.

We wouldn't gain, so whats the point. Whilst some idiots are paying the tickets the car park doors remain open. If they loose control and nobody pays then why would we even have these car parks open anymore... Even the local gov have sold off so many parking spaces in recent years (Fact)
Halifax Overdraft 0% charges - £2000
Barclaycard 0% - £675
Mother - Halifax 0% - £2113
Halifax One Card 0% - £1527
# 13
RENEGADE
Old 21-09-2012, 11:18 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby View Post
No way, I want to retain the right to obtain details of anyone I need to get the details of and am not willing to lose this. If they want to charge firms £10 per enquiry, that's fine - but their business model will dictate the 'fines' will need to increase to cover these costs.
Nobody is taking away your "right", nor mine. With a raised fee, one will think, "ah, do I really need this information?". If they do, they'll pay £1,000. I mean, if they're right in their demand, they'll get it back in the end.
The Following User Says Thank You to RENEGADE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
trisontana
Old 21-09-2012, 11:21 PM

I don't think many retail parks or supermarkets would sell off their car parks for building land. Where are their customers going to park? It's in these sort of places were most PPCs operate.

A better idea is to have pay on exit barriers. That way you get rid of PPCs and the supermarket has control over unauthorised parking.
I am an "internet guru" (copyright Stephan Hall @ UKCPS)
The Following User Says Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
assj
Old 21-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisontana View Post
I don't think many retail parks or supermarkets would sell off their car parks for building land. Where are their customers going to park? It's in these sort of places were most PPCs operate.

A better idea is to have pay on exit barriers. That way you get rid of PPCs and the supermarket has control over unauthorised parking.
True I suppose, I thought that they always cancelled the charges anyway.

Well I sent a complaint to TCP when I got a ticket on ASDA. Everyone said ignore but I couldn't because I didn't want letters to go to the RK.

They sent me a letter 3 months later and confirmed that it had been cancelled.

So I guess ASDA has told them to cancel whatever people complaint about? Why else would they if they want the money so much?

Anyway I don't get tickets on supermarket car parks, unless I forget to pay! LOL. I can't understand why people overstay... I never consider a car park like this as an option to park for a long time.

I notice a lot of Local Gov departments are now taking these car parks as their own and dealing with enforcement under off street TRO'S.
Halifax Overdraft 0% charges - £2000
Barclaycard 0% - £675
Mother - Halifax 0% - £2113
Halifax One Card 0% - £1527
# 16
dacouch
Old 21-09-2012, 11:34 PM

You can get them in some serious trouble for breaching the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations which are the law. Specifically this sub section.

"4. Not being true to the terms of the endorsement
Claiming that a trader (including his/her commercial
practices) or a product has been approved, endorsed
or authorised by a public or private body when he/she/it
has not, or making such a claim without complying with
the terms of the approval, endorsement or authorisation"

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...egs/oft979.pdf

Enjoy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dacouch For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
surfboy1
Old 22-09-2012, 12:39 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by assj View Post

Anyway I don't get tickets on supermarket car parks, unless I forget to pay! LOL. I can't understand why people overstay... I never consider a car park like this as an option to park for a long time. .
I never understand why retail parks only have a 2 hour limit to park on them.
A retail park near me has a whole host of stores, cinema, restraunts, bowling, supermarkets ect. but only has a 2 hour limit on it. That has to be bad buisness for the retailers on there ! I dont know why they let it go on!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surfboy1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
HO87
Old 22-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfboy1 View Post
I never understand why retail parks only have a 2 hour limit to park on them.
A retail park near me has a whole host of stores, cinema, restraunts, bowling, supermarkets ect. but only has a 2 hour limit on it. That has to be bad buisness for the retailers on there ! I dont know why they let it go on!
The 2 hour limit may be displayed in retail parks but will almost certainly be a product of the PPC that patrol it and, IMHO, is simply a tripwire establish to generate revenue. The logic is inescapable. If there are cinemas, bowling allies etc etc then the obvious purpose of the retail park is to draw people in and keep them there until their pockets have been emptied. The time limit is unreasonable and serves only one purpose - and that isn't the overall purpose of the park.
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell
The Following User Says Thank You to HO87 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
peter_the_piper
Old 22-09-2012, 10:23 AM

Same near us, bowling alley closing due to clampers after 3 hours.
Sorry, normal service will be resumed shortly.
# 20
nottoolate
Old 26-09-2012, 4:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie76 View Post
Does anyone know if a wee email to DVLA might be in order asking if the support TCP's parking charges?
emailed, and dvla responded thus

Quote:
Thank you for your note, which has been passed to me to respond to.

I can confirm that is a misrepresentation and DVLA does not "support" these notices in the way that the statement could lead people to believe.

We have asked Town and City Parking to remove this as a matter of urgency and will be reporting this to the BPA.

Kind regards,

Data Sharing Team
Operational Support & Development Directorate | C1/East | DVLA | Swansea | SA6 7JL
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nottoolate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread