Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Emzycal
    Engagement ring stolen, sold to pawn shop - Legal question?
    • 16th Sep 12, 2:43 PM
    Engagement ring stolen, sold to pawn shop - Legal question? 16th Sep 12 at 2:43 PM
    Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but it seems the best place to post it.

Long story short - my engagement ring was stolen and sold to a Cash Converters/Cash Generator type place by my Uncle who was living in my Grans house as was I at the time.

The police have recovered it and I have it back, and we are waiting for them to arrest my uncle.

The thing is, on the morning the ring was stolen, right after I noticed it missing, my Mum and I phoned every single pawn shop in the city and I'm fairly certain we phoned the one he sold it to. So if they'd already taken it, they should have contacted the police. And if they hadn't had it already, they should have known full well not to buy it.

My question is, can I take any legal action against the shop in question? Since they were clearly told that X was stolen and that Y may be in to try to sell it to them? They were given all the details they'd need to avoid the purchase of the ring, yet still took it or had already taken it and neglected to inform the police.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,085Posts Today

6,459Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • On train home from Birmingham. Had dinner by the canal there this evening. Lovely area, very sunny and picturesque.

• Fantastic run by new UK star Zharnell Hughes in @BritAthletics #BritishChamps 200m.I was v proud to present the medal http://t.co/sSSXpM1SBZ

• Ok a wee bit chuffed. Just been asked if I'd like to present a medal at #Britishchamps, someone is now missing a hand as I bit it off!

• Follow Martin