Washing umbrellas?

Freebie_Freak
Freebie_Freak Posts: 569
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 18 September 2012 at 2:07PM in Old style MoneySaving
Can anyone advise please? I'd like to wash a smelly and grubby umbrella in warm soapy water to freshen and brighten it, but will this method mean that it will no longer be waterproof afterwards? Any help appreciated. TIA.

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]

Comments

• Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    You can always reproof it after washing. I would say though, that is not cheap stuff, if you are only using a small amount.
    It may be cheaper to buy a new umbrella.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,892
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    it would still be made of plastic so it would still be waterproof. most umbrellas are not 100% waterproof anyway due to the woven plastic fibres, there are still holes, just teeny tiny ones.

Is it a cotton one laminated/coated or just a bog standard brolly?

I'd bin it and buy a new one though.. or just use it and make sure it is properly dry before being put away.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Just an ordinary umbrella I imagine, (I've inherited it!), not a plastic one certainly, but really pretty, full of colourful flowers so I'd really like to keep it, but reproofing would probably cost more than buying a new one so head would overrule heart! What I really want someone to say is that they've washed one and it was ok! Suppose if it doesn't work, I've lost nothing as probably won't use it as it is! Thanks for suggestions.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    From my experience with washing tent canvas, use SOAP, not detergent. Start by giving the brolly a good sponge down with plain warm water and a non abrasive sponge, like a car sponge. Then use some ordinary bar soap rubbed into the sponge then onto the brolly. Don't rub too hard, it abrades the fibres. Then rinse, rinse, rinse...a garden hose outside would be best here. Don't forget to rinse the inside. Then alow it to dry while open. If you do need to reproof then an aerosol tin of Fabsil would be fine, usually about £6.
    Val.
  • Wasn't this on Superscrimpers a little while ago? I'm sure I remember them saying that after you had washed your umbrella use cheap hairspray to re-coat it and make it waterproof again.
  • Dippypud
    Dippypud Posts: 1,927
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I don't know if hairspray would work...

but Lid* have a waterproofing spray for about a fiver...

I re-do the seams on our sons bike jackets and it works fine...

I'd recommend you let it dry properly before putting away again tho...;)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • Jnelhams
    Jnelhams Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Try wiping with a damp sponge and Bicarbonate of Soda powder to get rid of smells and grime, that way you should not loose the waterproofing.
    My Mind wanders, if found please return.
  • If re proofing doe'nt work and you like the fabric take the umbrella apart and re-use it. I've used old umbrella fabric as small picnic tablecloths and cut up for bunting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure