How much does a complaint cost the provider

Options
TJT87
TJT87 Posts: 50 Forumite
If I make a complaint against my energy provider I understand it cost them a minimum of £350 to defend it. Is that for the complaint or if I contend that they have broken the terms of the license more than once is it for each breach?

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Its only if its accepted by eo, otherwise people would do it just to be vendictive
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • TJT87
    TJT87 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    Its only if its accepted by eo, otherwise people would do it just to be vendictive

I think my complaints are legitimate , that they have failed to maintain a system that will stop me falling into debt and that they did not provide me with the correct information when changing a DD to make the decisison.

If they are accepted is it per complaint
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    Options
    TJT87 wrote: »
    If they are accepted is it per complaint

Liability is one fee per complaint.

There are credible posts by experienced posters which suggest (to me) that the Energy Ombudsman is not comfortable doing Ofgem's work for them on issues such as "I contend that they have broken the terms of the license"

My advice to you is to focus on the effect of the alleged breach. If that is an unexpected debit balance try first to negotiate terms. "Typically" you should expect terms over the period of the supplier "failure".

Up to you however. Please keep the forum updated on your Energy Ombudsman experiences.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Jalexa.

Concentrate on your issue but don't allow the ombudsman to water down your complaint by removing references to SLC breaches. There have been posts about this which make me question the experience of the ombudsman.

The fee is for referral. Its not linked to SLC breaches otherwise many customers would never get to refer. There is no charge based on severity.

You can also refer SLC breaches to Ofgem which they may investigate further. They no longer actress customer cases, that's why the ombudsman came in, but have full authority over the SLC's.

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/domestic-consumers/Pages/index.aspx

Suggest you post further info because there are non Ofgem licences that others on here could explain. Its also a matter of process so by understanding what should happen, it might give you more of an understanding which you can use to your benefit.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    My case has been escalated after I refused to accept the first findings.

What amazed me was that the first investigations are done by admin bods and no Ombudsman sees the case detail unless you ask for escalation.

The chap I dealt with was very pleasant but seemed to have only a tenuous grasp of the case and several key issues seemed to elude him. I felt he was going through the motions, when he eventually outlined the system and had to admit that he was not actually an Ombudsman and that the case would never see such a person I have to say I was gobsmacked. He wasn't overly happy that his decision was not being accepted but I was adamant I wished to escalate the issue. I was told to expect a judgement within 8 weeks of escalation. So it should be any time now.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    poet123 wrote: »
    My case has been escalated after I refused to accept the first findings.

What amazed me was that the first investigations are done by admin bods and no Ombudsman sees the case detail unless you ask for escalation.

The chap I dealt with was very pleasant but seemed to have only a tenuous grasp of the case and several key issues seemed to elude him. I felt he was going through the motions, when he eventually outlined the system and had to admit that he was not actually an Ombudsman and that the case would never see such a person I have to say I was gobsmacked. He wasn't overly happy that his decision was not being accepted but I was adamant I wished to escalate the issue. I was told to expect a judgement within 8 weeks of escalation. So it should be any time now.

The ombudsman is an independent service that the consumer can use.

It should be that your supplier resolves your issue, but they are also interested in defending their brand hence may not always admit to errors or give levels of compensation you require.

Prior to the ombudsman, you would have gone to Ofgem.

The dispute process should be explained clearly in your t&c's, if not, its more to complain about but this part is part of the Standard Licence Conditions (SLC).
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • poet123
    Options
    No, you miss my point. I went through all those stages and spoke at length on the phone with someone (I do know his name) from the office of the Ombudsman and he was dealing with the case.

In most other Govt departs the staff deal with the admin, collate the detail and then refer up. Here this does not happen, the admin staff adjudicate, and you get a letter on Ombudsman headed paper giving their findings, but your case has never actually been looked at by anyone with the designation "Ombudsman". Only if you are not happy and insist, is the case referred upwards.
  • YoYoY
    YoYoY Posts: 281 Forumite
    Options
    TJT87 wrote: »
    I think my complaints are legitimate , that they have failed to maintain a system that will stop me falling into debt ...

LOL :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Ask for prepayment meters to be fitted :cool:
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    Options
    poet123 wrote: »
    Here this does not happen, the admin staff adjudicate, and you get a letter on Ombudsman headed paper giving their findings, but your case has never actually been looked at by anyone with the designation "Ombudsman". Only if you are not happy and insist, is the case referred upwards.

I can't speak about the Energy Ombudsman scheme but what you describe is "similar" to the Financial Ombudsman Service where "adjudicators" perform a function similar to your "admin staff". In my experience the term "adjudicator" is merited. From what I have picked up, mainly in this forum, the Energy Ombudsman scheme personnel seem much less "capable" than FOS staff.
  • poet123
    Options
    jalexa wrote: »
    I can't speak about the Energy Ombudsman scheme but what you describe is "similar" to the Financial Ombudsman Service where "adjudicators" perform a function similar to your "admin staff". In my experience the term "adjudicator" is merited. From what I have picked up, mainly in this forum, the Energy Ombudsman scheme personnel seem much less "capable" than FOS staff.

I don't think that the process is understood to be the way it is by the average complainant. I come from a Govt background and whenever someone had an "official" adjudication rather than an "assessment" that was done by the specifically designated officer not the admin staff.

I was quite taken aback when I stated I was dissatisfied and asked what channels were open to me to be told it could be referred to the Ombudsman......as that was what I thought had just happened. Only then was the actuality of the process explained.

How many people never ask the question and just assume they have exhausted all the avenues? I know a friend of mine did because I was telling her about it and she was livid that she had let it go at that point thinking that an Energy Ombudsman had ruled against her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure