IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Tesco Bank Login Problem
Views: 6,446
# 1
Stompa
Old 20-08-2012, 3:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Tesco Bank Login Problem

For the last year or more I've had no problems logging in to Tesco Bank. On attempting to do so this morning (using Chrome as usual) I was told that my computer was not recognised, and that they'd have to send me a One Time Access Code. This they did, and on entering it I was asked if I wanted to make my computer 'recognised', so that I can login straightaway next time. I opted to do this, but then got a message saying:

Important Information

Sorry, we werent able to set your computer to be recognised the next time you login. If you continue to see this message, you can visit our Online Banking Troubleshooting guide for common reasons and fixes.

For now, you can continue to Online Banking, but well not be able to recognise this computer until its successfully registered with us. Please Contact us if you have any questions.

Now I've looked at their troubleshooting guide here:

http://www.tescobank.com/personal/fi...eshooting.html

but can't see any incorrect settings on my PC.

Has anybody else experienced this problem, and if so do you know how it can be fixed?

(I know they have a help line, but I'm not sure I can face it!)

Thanks
Stompa
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
oldvicar
Old 20-08-2012, 4:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Have you seen the latest message on their troubleshooting page (you gave the link). The trouble might be that your software is up to date.

Quote:
Important for customers who clear their browsing history

If you're using an up to date browser such as Internet Explorer 8 or above, or Firefox 4 or above, along with Flash version 10.1 or above, then you may find that we’re unable to recognise your computer after you delete your browsing history.
This is because of an update made to Flash in version 10.1. You can still log in to Online Banking after you delete your browsing history if we have your mobile phone number. We'll send you a One Time Access Code by text message to your mobile phone which will allow you to log in.
# 3
Stompa
Old 20-08-2012, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldvicar View Post
Have you seen the latest message on their troubleshooting page (you gave the link). The trouble might be that your software is up to date.
Thanks, yes I had seen that. But I've always deleted browsing history (typically using CCleaner [with the Tesco files excluded]), and have never had a problem. As far as I can see Flash 10.1 was released about two years ago, so I don't think that can be the issue.

The problem seems to be that I can't now get it to set my PC as 'recognised' in the first place, let alone retain it as 'recognised' on a subsequent visit.
Stompa
# 4
Stoneman
Old 20-08-2012, 5:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Tesco

I had the same problem.

I normally access tesco through my iPad and suddenly it stopped working when they made the changes to the security.

It allowed me to recognise the iPad, but the next time I tried it, it said that the iPad wasnt a device that I could use to access online banking (although it did let me the first time)

I can only access it through my PC if I go via Safari (normally use IE8)

Might be worth trying Safari (if you haven't already)
# 5
Stompa
Old 20-08-2012, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
I can only access it through my PC if I go via Safari (normally use IE8)

Might be worth trying Safari (if you haven't already)
Thanks, I've just been trying other browsers. For me, it seems that it's only Chrome21 that fails. IE8 and FF14 seem to work fine. I'm not sure I can be bothered to try and figure out why, so I'll just use another browser for now.
Stompa
# 6
evenasus
Old 20-08-2012, 5:45 PM

You need to keep a copy of the flash file that Tesco puts on your PC.

Then when you've deleted your history/cookies - you can put this one back.

I've been doing this for the last couple of years without a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenasus View Post
Vista - C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\Shared objects\ Then which ever flash file you require.

XP - C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\Shared objects\[Random Name]\ Then which ever flash file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoderic View Post
For Vista and Windows 7:-
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\[Random Name]\ login.myproducts.tescobank.com

You'll need to "unhide" hidden files and folders, if you haven't already done so.

Hope I haven't spoiled anybody's fun by giving away the filename.
The time for saving for a house deposit, is before you marry/live together/have children.
Save for what you want to buy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evenasus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
evenasus
Old 20-08-2012, 5:50 PM

The folder you should keep will be called login.myproducts.tescobank.com
The time for saving for a house deposit, is before you marry/live together/have children.
Save for what you want to buy.
# 8
Stompa
Old 20-08-2012, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenasus View Post
You need to keep a copy of the flash file that Tesco puts on your PC.

Then when you've deleted your history/cookies - you can put this one back.
Thanks, I already do much the same thing. Though I just set CCleaner to exclude the following folders (XP):

C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\[Random Name]\login.myproducts.tescobank.com\

C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\#log in.myproducts.tescobank.com\

which avoids the need to manually put them back.

But that's not the issue, even when those files are present, Google Chrome fails.
Stompa
# 9
talexuser
Old 21-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Tesco bank got bad publicity very recently from a security expert who found they did not encrypt their passwords so any successful hacker had your passwords available in plain text - very bad practice. Maybe they are trying to upgrade their security leading to these issues?
The Following User Says Thank You to talexuser For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Stompa
Old 21-08-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talexuser View Post
Tesco bank got bad publicity very recently from a security expert who found they did not encrypt their passwords so any successful hacker had your passwords available in plain text - very bad practice. Maybe they are trying to upgrade their security leading to these issues?
Thanks, that thought had crossed my mind. Though I think the recent problems with security at Tesco are related to their shopping website rather than the bank, at least I hope so!
Stompa
# 11
caileag
Old 22-08-2012, 5:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Chrome v21 uses a sandbox for flash, so it works effectively independently of other browsers.

http://productforums.google.com/foru...me/7evN0lilGFc

Hence, the files you previously excluded to make the computer stay recognised will probably not be the right ones for use with Chrome v21.

Probably worth calling the helpdesk?
Free is my favourite price!
# 12
Stompa
Old 22-08-2012, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caileag View Post
Chrome v21 uses a sandbox for flash, so it works effectively independently of other browsers.

http://productforums.google.com/foru...me/7evN0lilGFc

Hence, the files you previously excluded to make the computer stay recognised will probably not be the right ones for use with Chrome v21.

Probably worth calling the helpdesk?
Didn't earlier versions of Chrome also use a sandbox for Flash though? Though I suppose it could have been 'tweaked' in some way in the latest version.

I've been using Chrome with Tesco Bank for several months now without any problems.
Stompa
# 13
Oregonjohn
Old 17-12-2012, 4:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Same problem loging in

I too have had the same login problems using FF 17.0.1. and IE8. Every time I login it comes up with 'computer not reconised', I get sent (taking 3/4 days) - a new security number, everything is set up again and I get into my account BUT the next time I get the same problem again. I have to phone up and get them to send yet another security number! This goes on again and again.

There response is it's quicker using a text - BUT if one doesn't have a cell phone, because I don't need one, being retired and mostly at home it's called discrimination!! It must be costing them a fortune in postage!!
# 14
Nicholas-bloody-Parsons
Old 17-12-2012, 5:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The permanent cookie or as they call it "security file" it sets on your pc is missing. This could be for a variety of reasons; most likely "privacy" browser settings are deleting it or you are using "clean up" software.

If in "FF 17" you have the options>privacy> "I dont want to be tracked" option ticked, then this is the sort of setting which causes this kind of chaos!
# 15
Gromitt
Old 17-12-2012, 6:45 PM

Indeed, I have the same 'problem', as I have my browser setup to delete all cookies when I close the browser. Otherwise I'm snowed under in cookies within a few days and Google thinks its a good idea to ram advertisements down my throat for whatever I've searched for in the past few days.
# 16
innovate
Old 17-12-2012, 6:58 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You could try ccleaner - fabulous piece of free(*) software that lets you exclude certain websites from cookie cleaning.

So you would exclude www.tescobank.com from cookie cleaning and the prob should go away. Haven't tried myself whether it really does work with Tesco, though.

(*) there's a paid for version too but the free version does everything the casual user needs to do.
# 17
pqrdef
Old 18-12-2012, 6:06 AM

On my PC I didn't even get the message, it just crashed (IE or Chrome). The only way to get in was to opt not to try to fingerprint the PC. This meant doing the mobile phone thing for every login.

I was blaming this on an out of date version of Flash.

Then I installed Firefox and that works fine, with no Flash installed at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to pqrdef For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
innovate
Old 19-12-2012, 9:17 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovate View Post
You could try ccleaner - fabulous piece of free(*) software that lets you exclude certain websites from cookie cleaning.
I have tried it out now - it's working a treat! Tescos plant cookies under various URLs, but telling ccleaner to keep cookies from login.myproducts.tescobank.com/arcotafm/saml seems to do the trick. No more sending of codes, it just lets me log in straight away. Yay!
# 19
swanny65
Old 12-04-2013, 11:47 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have had various login issue, usually server taking to long to respond, for the past 2 weeks, since Tesco altered our security login

Phone them and told service down completely as a fix is being implemented today....

Fingers crossed
The Following User Says Thank You to swanny65 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Welshdresser
Old 12-04-2013, 1:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default can't load log-in page

Thanks, i've been trying to log in this morning, wondered why the page would not load.