Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Charities > help with volunteer age please (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
help with volunteer age please
Closed Thread
Views: 2,476
# 1
welshbookworm
Old 16-08-2012, 8:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default help with volunteer age please

Good evening, I hope you can help, a friends daughter wants to help in he local charity shop but she's 12. Is there any rules saying what she can and can't do? Can she volunteer in a shop that young?
I've tried looking on line but all the legislation is about working or for profit organisations .
Many thanks for your time and help
The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
# 2
Savvy_Sue
Old 17-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I'd expect a responsible 'employer' using young volunteers to follow similar guidelines to paid employment, so I'd be surprised if the charity shop would allow a 12 yo to volunteer. Not sure if there's any law against it, but I believe that if they were employing someone under school leaving age then they would have to register with the local authority.

I'm guessing that their insurance would not cover a 12 year old, for the reasons given above. The limitations on young people working are quite stringent in terms of no. of hours, time hours can be worked and what they can do, and it's all for good reason.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy_Sue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
welshbookworm
Old 17-08-2012, 6:15 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thank you, I didn't think she could do it, but as she was asking, I thought I would check.
I'll suggest she goes to Guides or Scouts instead.
The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
# 4
kingfisherblue
Old 17-08-2012, 7:47 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If she goes to Guides, she can volunteer to help with a local Brownie or Rainbow unit as well. At 12, she would be a pack leader, and from 13, she can be a young leader. Rainbows tend to meet for an hour a week andd Brownies usually meet for an hour and a half, altohugh it does vary between units.

More information from www.girlguiding.org.uk

www.guiders.co.uk has some forums that might give you more useful information.
The Following User Says Thank You to kingfisherblue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
DomRavioli
Old 19-08-2012, 9:02 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As it is unpaid work, there are no laws regarding age for it. You may find that there are insurance complications as its usually over 16s, but from a legal standpoint there are only rules for the number of hours worked at a time.
Observe, Adapt, Overcome.
# 6
rarrarrar
Old 27-11-2012, 9:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

A bit late, but the age rules for young workers applies whether they are paid or unpaid.
This does prove problematic for charity shops with schoolchildren wanting to work Sundays !
The Following User Says Thank You to rarrarrar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
dearbarbie
Old 03-12-2012, 4:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

its v sweet of her to want to help though!
# 8
Katiehound
Old 05-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

For your information the minimum age for volunteering with the Blue Cross is 14 yo. I think this will probably be working with the animals rather than working in a shop.
Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
Thank You
The Following User Says Thank You to Katiehound For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread