Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 17th Aug 12, 12:50 AM
    • 35,340 Posts
    • 31,371 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 17th Aug 12, 12:50 AM
    • 17th Aug 12, 12:50 AM
    I'd expect a responsible 'employer' using young volunteers to follow similar guidelines to paid employment, so I'd be surprised if the charity shop would allow a 12 yo to volunteer. Not sure if there's any law against it, but I believe that if they were employing someone under school leaving age then they would have to register with the local authority.

I'm guessing that their insurance would not cover a 12 year old, for the reasons given above. The limitations on young people working are quite stringent in terms of no. of hours, time hours can be worked and what they can do, and it's all for good reason.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Why did I think knitting would be relaxing?
  • welshbookworm
    • 17th Aug 12, 6:15 AM
    • 17th Aug 12, 6:15 AM
    Thank you, I didn't think she could do it, but as she was asking, I thought I would check.
    I'll suggest she goes to Guides or Scouts instead.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 17th Aug 12, 7:47 PM
    • 5,955 Posts
    • 13,058 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 17th Aug 12, 7:47 PM
    • 17th Aug 12, 7:47 PM
    If she goes to Guides, she can volunteer to help with a local Brownie or Rainbow unit as well. At 12, she would be a pack leader, and from 13, she can be a young leader. Rainbows tend to meet for an hour a week andd Brownies usually meet for an hour and a half, altohugh it does vary between units.

More information from www.girlguiding.org.uk

www.guiders.co.uk has some forums that might give you more useful information.
  • DomRavioli
    • 19th Aug 12, 9:02 AM
    • 19th Aug 12, 9:02 AM
    As it is unpaid work, there are no laws regarding age for it. You may find that there are insurance complications as its usually over 16s, but from a legal standpoint there are only rules for the number of hours worked at a time.
    Observe, Adapt, Overcome.
    June GC - /150
  • rarrarrar
    • 27th Nov 12, 9:24 PM
    • 27th Nov 12, 9:24 PM
    A bit late, but the age rules for young workers applies whether they are paid or unpaid.
    This does prove problematic for charity shops with schoolchildren wanting to work Sundays !
  • dearbarbie
    • 3rd Dec 12, 4:43 PM
    • 3rd Dec 12, 4:43 PM
    its v sweet of her to want to help though!
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 5th Dec 12, 11:05 PM
    • 2,499 Posts
    • 29,103 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 5th Dec 12, 11:05 PM
    • 5th Dec 12, 11:05 PM
    For your information the minimum age for volunteering with the Blue Cross is 14 yo. I think this will probably be working with the animals rather than working in a shop.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,425Posts Today

6,494Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin