Paypal monthly statements?

Options
Hi,
Have paypal started emailing out monthly statements?
I have had a email come in from 'paypal' telling me Log in to View Your monthly statement.
It's even addressed to my by my first name.
Dodgy scam or something new by Paypal?

Comments

• HeadAboveWater
    Options
    No idea but I'd never click on links in emails anyway. I would go directly to Paypals website and log in as normal.
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    I got it as well.

I think with paypal they email you using your full name. IE, Hello Louise XXX rather than 'hi there' or 'dear paypal customer'

I think anyway. I still never ever click on anything from an email :)
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • starrybee
    starrybee Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I get one which says something like 'check your recent activity' every now and then, could well be monthly...

Like zepsgan says, the way to tell if it's spam or not is whether or not the email addresses you by your first name.

Either way just don't click the links and there's nothing to worry about.
  • kurgon
    kurgon Posts: 877 Forumite
    Options
    I got it too and it looks genuine. I forwarded it to [EMAIL="spoof@payapl.com"]spoof@payapl.com[/EMAIL] and will be interested to see if paypal are sending out emails that you click through as they have previously said that they won't do this.
  • Haffiana
    Haffiana Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got this too - it uses my full name, first and last. Puzzling.
  • kurgon
    Options
    Just had this response to my spoof mail:

Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for taking an active role by reportingsuspicious-looking emails.
    Although we've determined that the email youforwarded to us is not a phishing attempt, our security team is grateful foryour concern

So it seems they are now sending out emails with links in the message. Not the cleverest idea I've heard this year.....
  • kurgon
    Options
    Makes me laugh. From their own take the phishing challenge questions:

src_question_113x24.gifsrc_5_31x24.gif
    pixel.gifClicking on a link in an email is the most reliable way to get to your PayPal account.

Truepixel.gifFalse
    btn_answ1_20x21.gifpixel.gifbtn_answ2_20x21.gifpixel.gifbtn_answ3_20x21.gifpixel.gifbtn_answ4_20x21.gifpixel.gifbtn_on5_20x21.gifpixel.gifbtn_resultsbtn_89x20.gif

src_correctansw_163x24.gifpixel.gifsrc_false_56x24.gifMany phishing emails have links that look valid, but send you to fraudulent sites instead. Here’s what you should do: Open a new browser window, type https://www.paypal.com and log in to your PayPal account directly.
  • spendaholic66
    Options
    I have just received this email also, addressing me by my full name.
    'No one can make you feel bad without your permission'

Sealed Pot Challenge #1825
  • imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But at the end of the mail it says if you worried this mail is a scam just type in https://www.paypal.co.uk into your browser or something like that.
    I didnt think it was a scam but i didnt click on the link either.
  • Sool
    Sool Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I received one of these emails this morning, and see it as a worrying development.

My first reaction was to delete it, after which I logged onto PayPal to see whether it was possible to opt out of such emails. Regrettably this doesn't seem to be possible.

Under My Account Settings lies Communication Preferences. My preferences are set to allow only the mandatory Policy Updates, which appear to relate to PayPal's terms and conditions, and the mandatory Account Information Notifications, which relates only to Name Change, Address Change, Email Change, Password Change, Lost Password Request, Bank Account Change.

Surely PayPal would have advised its users of its intention to send out statement reminders via a Policy Update if this had been their intention?

On this basis, I remain somewhat suspicious :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport