IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Selling books online
Views: 66,014
# 1
babymumma2
Old 01-08-2012, 6:00 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Selling books online

I have boxes of books, ranging from adult's fiction to kids story books. Any idea if I can make any money from them?

I'd like to make some space and some money!

Official Insert:

This discussion is included in our Boost your Income guide. Get the weekly email to hear when new ways to save have been added.
Back with a new name as too many eyes are looking at me!

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 28-01-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
ALittleInLove
Old 02-08-2012, 11:23 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Yesterday i sold a range of books and DVDs including textbooks, fiction books and cookery books on three websites: Fatbrain, Webuybooks.co.uk and Zapper.co.uk. They work like music magpie but for books.

I compared on the various sites and took the highest valuations. They don't accept everything but the postage is free (they even send a courier if you have enough). I found it very easy to use and sent them off yesterday (So i haven't been paid yet obviously as they need to check them out).

I checked ebay for most of them beforehand and there were quite afew at rockbottom prices that weren't selling (i assume the postage was putting people off expecially with heavy textbooks).

It's worth reading the condition guidlines and packaging guidelines before starting as if you send the books off and the quality is not right they just recycle the books and don't send them back.

Also they all have minimum order quantities: Fatbrain and Webuybooks 15 and Zapper 10.

As i say i haven't recieved my money yet so i can't attest to how quickly they pay but they offer payment by cheque, paypal and (webuybooks only) bank transfer.

If you don't fancy this idea have you thought about ebay for the less common titles (but bear in mind postage) or a carboot sale (less money but higher volume)

Hope this helps x

UPDATE: Webuybooks emailed me at 8:47am yesterday to say they have received my books (only posted at 16:00 the day before!) and had paid me via paypal 4 hours later. I would definitely recommend using them.

Last edited by ALittleInLove; 03-08-2012 at 2:24 PM. Reason: Update
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ALittleInLove For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
expressduck
Old 02-08-2012, 9:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have never done it but can't you sell second hand books through Amazon? I think you can signup to their "marketplace" and then second hand versions of books are shown alongside their new counterparts....No idea about costs/hassle etc as I have never done it myself.
# 4
benhc123
Old 03-08-2012, 9:12 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Fatbrain is a really good way to sell books. Although they only buy books that they don't already have many copies of.
# 5
maryroberts
Old 03-08-2012, 1:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have sold a few books through Amazon Marketplace - you will get more money (obviously) for more unusual titles. There seem to be loads of traders selling more popular books for as little as 1p each! You do get an allowance for postage but avoid selling heavy books because their allowance is not enough! It's also worth considering selling CDs on Amazon, again the more unusual the better!
# 6
rabb
Old 03-08-2012, 1:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've got a job lot of approx 10 true crime & football terrace culture books, Glasgow underworld etc.

I'm thinking of selling them as a job lot, would be happy with 20.

The thing is what do I put as the postage? Is there a fixed price I could charge? I guess 10 books, many of which are hardback would be quite heavy.....postage price exorbitant?

Thanks in advance if anybody has any knowledge of this kind of thing.

meant to say will be an Ebay job.
# 7
soolin
Old 03-08-2012, 1:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb View Post
I've got a job lot of approx 10 true crime & football terrace culture books, Glasgow underworld etc.

I'm thinking of selling them as a job lot, would be happy with 20.

The thing is what do I put as the postage? Is there a fixed price I could charge? I guess 10 books, many of which are hardback would be quite heavy.....postage price exorbitant?

Thanks in advance if anybody has any knowledge of this kind of thing.

meant to say will be an Ebay job.
Selling books as a job lot you would need to get the price down to about 20-30p a book. Check out Amazon marketplace first, if the books are a 1p on there then forget trying to sell them.

If however you want to try them on ebay you would need to sell them as a job lot under 'wholesale' to get round the postage caps. That means much poorer visibility though. If you sell them under the book category you are limited to 3.25 postage.

Weight them with the packaging and then get a price from the RM website. as a rough guide an average paperback is approx 300-350g so 10 would be around 3 - 3 1/2 kg. If you are using RM to send them then that would mean a standard parcel at 8.80 which is almost certainly more than the books are worth.

The book market for run of the mill novels and childrens books and paperbacks is completely dead. The postage costs too much and ost of the time it is cheaper to buy them new in the high street. The only books that really sell now are current text books and out of print ones that are difficult to obtain. Until the end of 2010 I was a big book seller on Amazon marketplace with thousands of books in stock.

Incidentally, on Amazon if you have to sell a book at 1p it is worth remembering that all you will get for it after fees is 1.41, and since it costs at least 2.20 to send a standard paperback it is not a viable business model.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
rabb
Old 03-08-2012, 4:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by soolin View Post
Selling books as a job lot you would need to get the price down to about 20-30p a book. Check out Amazon marketplace first, if the books are a 1p on there then forget trying to sell them.

If however you want to try them on ebay you would need to sell them as a job lot under 'wholesale' to get round the postage caps. That means much poorer visibility though. If you sell them under the book category you are limited to 3.25 postage.

Weight them with the packaging and then get a price from the RM website. as a rough guide an average paperback is approx 300-350g so 10 would be around 3 - 3 1/2 kg. If you are using RM to send them then that would mean a standard parcel at 8.80 which is almost certainly more than the books are worth.

The book market for run of the mill novels and childrens books and paperbacks is completely dead. The postage costs too much and ost of the time it is cheaper to buy them new in the high street. The only books that really sell now are current text books and out of print ones that are difficult to obtain. Until the end of 2010 I was a big book seller on Amazon marketplace with thousands of books in stock.

Incidentally, on Amazon if you have to sell a book at 1p it is worth remembering that all you will get for it after fees is 1.41, and since it costs at least 2.20 to send a standard paperback it is not a viable business model.
Thanks I've seen job lots of these types of book go for half decent on Ebay before though it does seem barely woth all the hassle. I could do a collection only but lessens the chance of anybody seeing it if solely limited to your region.
# 9
soolin
Old 03-08-2012, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb View Post
Thanks I've seen job lots of these types of book go for half decent on Ebay before though it does seem barely woth all the hassle. I could do a collection only but lessens the chance of anybody seeing it if solely limited to your region.
Have you considered the facebook selling pages? Whether things are popular or not depend on where you live, but it is at least free.

If you do decide to list on ebay and need postal options there is a thread on the ebay board about cheap couriers, you might be able to get postage less than a RM standard parcel.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
expressduck
Old 03-08-2012, 7:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

soolin - I've never seen the FaceBook selling pages....where do I find them?
# 11
soolin
Old 03-08-2012, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expressduck View Post
soolin - I've never seen the FaceBook selling pages....where do I find them?
If you log into Facebook and search for groups using the key words 'sell' or buy or selling etc you should find them. I have found about 8 local groups already in my area.

However a couple of tips. Firstly,set up a new Facebook account for instance your name, say 'Tom' and a surname like sales or selling. Secondly, people do time waste, about half the stuff people have said they want they have just never bothered with and you do need to get used to all the nasty fakes and dodgy pirated goods that see to,makeup the blk of the sales.
New to Forum? Guide
# 12
katy_ann
Old 03-08-2012, 8:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I sold some books on webuybooks the other day, sent them yesterday so just waiting to hear back and get my money
Proud to be dealing with my debts
Comping since August 2014

Self Managed DMP since February 2013
Total debt as of 18/06/2014 - 3552.42
Aiming to be Debt Free by June 2015

# 13
1940sGal
Old 08-08-2012, 4:19 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Just want to bump this thread because i've just started selling some of my books online.

I went to a couple of those mentioned above, fatbrain and zapper, but got really low quotes for a couple of books i used for uni so I decided Amazon would be a better option.

I listed 1 before i ran in to trouble over card details (which i've only just sorted today). Anyhoo that was 2 days ago and I got an email today saying it had sold. It was a Berlin city guide and went for 9.70 incl. postage. That's about 9 more than what fatbrain or zapper were willing to offer.

I'm not saying anyone else is going to sell their books as fast or anything but it's certainly worth a go
# 14
sarahdianna
Old 08-08-2012, 7:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quite a good idea to make money. As books gives us wisdom. So first to get wisdom by reading the books and than to get money from them,
# 15
Christers
Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I've just been to the Amazon Trade-In website. I entered the ISBN for a couple of books and they were not recognised. I actually bought these books from Amazon itself so I don't understand. Has anyone else had this problem and can you help??
# 16
Art Vandelay
Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christers View Post
I've just been to the Amazon Trade-In website. I entered the ISBN for a couple of books and they were not recognised. I actually bought these books from Amazon itself so I don't understand. Has anyone else had this problem and can you help??
The number of books that they accept for trade-in is a very small percentage.
Obviously they pay the postage when you send your books to them, so it has to be worthwhile for them to accept. If there is not a popular demand for a book, chances are they will not require it on their trade-in site.

If you are not able to trade them in to amazon, don't forget you can sell them yourself via the marketplace. On the item page, towards the right hand side where it displays the pricing information there will be a "sell yours here" link, where you can see what other prices people want to sell their copies for and decide if you want to sell a particular book, and for how much.
It is a relatively straightforward process, though it can take a long time for stuff to sell (sometimes months, if it sells at all), unlike for example eBay, which takes a few days.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Art Vandelay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
DaveTheGeordie
Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I sold some fairly heavy text books on ebay. The delivery cost for a 15 sale was around half my earnings. Maybe there are cheaper services out there.
# 18
googler
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheGeordie View Post
I sold some fairly heavy text books on ebay. The delivery cost for a 15 sale was around half my earnings. Maybe there are cheaper services out there.
I'm obviously missing something here - didn't you figure out what it would cost to post them before putting them on eBay?

As in - weigh them, then go to Royal Mail website, and look up the postage cost for that weight. Armed with that figure, put it in the postage cost on the eBay auction.
The Following User Says Thank You to googler For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
soolin
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googler View Post
I'm obviously missing something here - didn't you figure out what it would cost to post them before putting them on eBay?

As in - weigh them, then go to Royal Mail website, and look up the postage cost for that weight. Armed with that figure, put it in the postage cost on the eBay auction.
Books are in a capped postage category, so yes sellers need to know their costs before listing but may need to add it to start price if postage allowance does not cover shiping costs.
New to Forum? Guide
# 20
anderson27
Old 04-03-2013, 6:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Military History Books

Hi,
I have been given a project by my dad to try and sell my grandads old military history books. Now when i say books i mean a significant number..... my nan wrote the titles and authors in a pad and there are in excess of 300 books. I am slowly adding these to an spreadsheet so we have a better way of seeing these. I was wondering where anyone could recommend us trying to sell these short of listing these individually on ebay. I have done some initial searches on ebay around the value of some of these book and they range between a couple of quid to 20....
If anyone has any idea let me know
Thanks