IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Do I owe my boyfriend rent?
Views: 2,020
# 1
winklepickers
Old 31-07-2012, 9:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Do I owe my boyfriend rent?

My boyfriend and I are breaking up and obviously I want to move out, but he says that if I do I owe him money and he will take me to court to get it.

We rent a flat together which has three months left on our six month lease but this rent has already been paid. I wasn't working when we moved in together, but he really wanted me to live with him rather than my parents so he offered to pay all 5000 upfront. When we moved in I set up the utilities in my name and started paying all the food. So far I've paid for all bills, food, toiletries and his clothes which has cost around 1050 over three months. I've been working for one month now.
He says I have to pay him 2500, so if I leave I owe him 1450, and we have a verbal contract so if I don't he will take me to court. I never said I would pay X amount back and he never asked for X amount until now.
Do I owe him? Can he take me to court and what does that actually mean?

I am really worried because I can't afford a new place to live and 1450. If I do owe him, do these other things count towards it:
I organised and paid 150 for his stuff to be moved from his old flat to this one and unpacked it for him.
I bought some furniture for the flat including a desk for him.
I have done 100% of the housework, even putting his clothes in the washing basket and handing him his pack lunch.

Am I in trouble here? What can I do?? I've tried searching for past threads but it's tricky because the rent is paid and only he was referenced though I am on the lease so I doubt our LL cares as they have the money. Any advice appreciated, I realise I've been stupid but didn't see us breaking up like this (who does?!).

Last edited by winklepickers; 31-07-2012 at 9:35 PM. Reason: confusion
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
lolly_896
Old 31-07-2012, 9:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Is your name on tenancy
DFW Nerd #awaiting number - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Dont cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Sealed Pot Challenge #781

# 3
Hump
Old 31-07-2012, 9:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Is he the tenant and are you an authorised occupant?
# 4
Hump
Old 31-07-2012, 9:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You also need to seek some help as the situation you describe sounds like 'domestic violence' - quote "Staying until I have paid it all is not an option. He is frankly a very nasty person, emotionally cruel and threatening and I can only see it getting worse."

Get out, get help - be a survivor call Womens Aid on 0808 2000 247
# 5
winklepickers
Old 31-07-2012, 9:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I think my name is on the tenancy, I had to sign and initial but wasn't referenced as I had no income. I will try to find out.
# 6
paddedjohn
Old 31-07-2012, 9:29 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hump View Post
You also need to seek some help as the situation you describe sounds like 'domestic violence' - quote "Staying until I have paid it all is not an option. He is frankly a very nasty person, emotionally cruel and threatening and I can only see it getting worse."

Get out, get help - be a survivor call Womens Aid on 0808 2000 247

Domestic violence my ar*e, he is only asking for his share of the rent (which i dont believe he has a chance of getting) and some womans libber screams domestic violence.
Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paddedjohn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
winklepickers
Old 31-07-2012, 9:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddedjohn View Post
Domestic violence my ar*e, he is only asking for his share of the rent
I don't mean that about asking for the rent. It is the main reason I want to break up but I wouldn't personally consider it domestic abuse.
# 8
G_M
Old 31-07-2012, 9:42 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

No. Move out.

1) if your name is on the tenancy as a joint tenant, (jointly and severally" responsible) then you are both equally liable to the landlord for rent and damage

2) but if the rent is already paid, that sorts that

3) if he damages the place, the LL could come after you (who paid the deposit if there was one?), but if you've already gone, LL is more likely to chase him

4) if your name is on the gas/leccy, council tax, then you are liable for these. But you could write to each of them, give them a meter reading, say you are moving out on X date, and close the account. Pay the finalbill they send to your new address.

5) food, toiletries, clothes etc. Not your problem. Let him whistle!

6) either leave the furniture you bought for him, or get a friend to help you move it out
# 9
paddedjohn
Old 31-07-2012, 9:42 PM

OP, the worst that can happen is that he takes you to the small claims court and they find in his favour meaning you will have to pay him some money but IMHO it wont be anywhere near the 2.5k hes after.
Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
# 10
winklepickers
Old 31-07-2012, 9:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M View Post
No. Move out.

1) if your name is on the tenancy as a joint tenant, (jointly and severally" responsible) then you are both equally liable to the landlord for rent and damage

2) but if the rent is already paid, that sorts that

3) if he damages the place, the LL could come after you (who paid the deposit if there was one?), but if you've already gone, LL is more likely to chase him

4) if your name is on the gas/leccy, council tax, then you are liable for these. But you could write to each of them, give them a meter reading, say you are moving out, and close the account. Pay the finalbill they send to your new address.

5) food, toiletries, clothes etc. Not your problem. Let him whistle!

6) either leave the furniture you bought for him, or get a friend to help you move it out
So he can't make me pay anything?
He paid the deposit.
I was planning to leave the furniture so it would then be about 1700.
# 11
savingmummy
Old 31-07-2012, 9:50 PM

No i wouldnt of thought you owed him rent!

You have done a lot in respect of paying bills including food and clothing and a desk!
If your on the tenancy it may change things BUT if your not then just leave.

Do you have proof of the bills you`ve paid, things you`ve bought etc? Handy to keep hold of that for proof.
DebtFree FEB 2010!
Slight blip in 2013 - owe just 128.20 now

swagbuck Earned in 2014 - 120
# 12
winklepickers
Old 31-07-2012, 10:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by savingmummy View Post
No i wouldnt of thought you owed him rent!

You have done a lot in respect of paying bills including food and clothing and a desk!
If your on the tenancy it may change things BUT if your not then just leave.

Do you have proof of the bills you`ve paid, things you`ve bought etc? Handy to keep hold of that for proof.
I have receipts for most things or they were paid for by card or paypal, would that count?

If he takes me to the small claims court is it anything like a CCJ? Will it affect getting a mortgage or a CRB?
# 13
JuicyJesus
Old 31-07-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winklepickers View Post
If he takes me to the small claims court is it anything like a CCJ? Will it affect getting a mortgage or a CRB?
If he wins, it would be a CCJ, and would affect credit applications (but not a CRB check as far as I know.)

However, unless he has something signed by you to say you'll pay him half the rent or you're on the tenancy, he'd be on a hiding to nothing. And in any event, if you're on the tenancy, it'd be the landlord suing you if the rent wasn't paid, not your boyfriend.
Hi, weve had to remove your signature. If youre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
# 14
terryw
Old 31-07-2012, 10:37 PM

Yes it will if the CCJ is not paid within a month. BUT

His threats of court action are probably just bluster. Don't worry about this at the moment. He will (probably!) have to use solicitors here and they will contact you before issuing any proceedings.

Obviously keep any paperwork relating to the tenancy and bills etc.
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
# 15
winklepickers
Old 31-07-2012, 10:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryw View Post
Yes it will if the CCJ is not paid within a month. BUT

His threats of court action are probably just bluster. Don't worry about this at the moment. He will (probably!) have to use solicitors here and they will contact you before issuing any proceedings.

Obviously keep any paperwork relating to the tenancy and bills etc.
He says he will represent himself. He has a book on law of tort but I'm not aware of him knowing anything about law.

If it does happen and I do have to pay some money, if I can pay it within a month then it won't affect me? Just want to be sure I understand this.
# 16
BobQ
Old 31-07-2012, 11:05 PM

You are jointly responsiblefor the rent and other bills that you are jointly named as being responsible for.

For the rent he is very unlikely to suceed in any small claims court. You already have enough information to obscure the issues. OK he paid the rent but this on behalf of you both. Equally the bills you paid were jointly for you both.

I would tell the people you have potential future liabilities to like the utilities, that you are no longer living at the property and wish to cancel the supply contracts on a specified date.

As to the rent tell the landlord you have moved out and tell him to do as he wishes on suing you. If he goes ahead with it do not ignore any letters you receive. Of course you may be entitled to half of any deposit that is returned!
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative. John Stuart Mill
# 17
HappyMJ
Old 31-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
He says he will represent himself. He has a book on law of tort but I'm not aware of him knowing anything about law.

If it does happen and I do have to pay some money, if I can pay it within a month then it won't affect me? Just want to be sure I understand this.
Yes if you pay within a month then it doesn't get recorded and won't affect your credit. You need to either negotiate with him beforehand or go to court and put your case forward. If he paid the rent upfront in the hope that you would pay half over the 6 months he has a very small chance of winning. I really don't think it would be anywhere near what he's requesting. 833 a month is very high rent....Is it really that much? Did part of the 5000 include a deposit? He can't sue you for that bit as he will get that back when he terminates the tenancy. As 3 months remain on the original lease you would be responsible for half of the 6 months rent and half of the time has already passed so it shouldn't be much.
# 18
C_Mababejive
Old 31-07-2012, 11:11 PM

Theres owing and theres getting. I beleive you can just walk and if he chooses to litigate then thats for him to decide. Equwally,he could just walk and leave you with it...whos going to be first..? And to think you both once professed love for each other and ermm...fornicated in the name of love.

Why not kiss and make up...come to an amicable solution and wish eachother the best in your new lives separately.
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
# 19
antrobus
Old 31-07-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
He says he will represent himself. He has a book on law of tort...
Wrong book. He needs one on the law of contract.

Quote:

but I'm not aware of him knowing anything about law.
You could well be right.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to antrobus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Kynthia
Old 31-07-2012, 11:48 PM

If you feel you have paid a fair amount towards your living costs then try not to worry. Gather your documents and evidence together so that you have it to hand if your ex does take you to small claims court. If he does a judge will listen to what both of you say and look at what your evidence is. They will then decide based on probability whether there was a contract made and whether you owe anything. You may then be ordered to pay an amount if the judge believes that to be what you owe, you then have time to pay and get a certificate of satisfaction. If you pay on time and get the certificate then there is no CCJ affecting your record.
Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!