Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    winklepickers
    Do I owe my boyfriend rent?
    • 31st Jul 12, 9:12 PM
    Do I owe my boyfriend rent? 31st Jul 12 at 9:12 PM
    My boyfriend and I are breaking up and obviously I want to move out, but he says that if I do I owe him money and he will take me to court to get it.

We rent a flat together which has three months left on our six month lease but this rent has already been paid. I wasn't working when we moved in together, but he really wanted me to live with him rather than my parents so he offered to pay all 5000 upfront. When we moved in I set up the utilities in my name and started paying all the food. So far I've paid for all bills, food, toiletries and his clothes which has cost around 1050 over three months. I've been working for one month now.
    He says I have to pay him 2500, so if I leave I owe him 1450, and we have a verbal contract so if I don't he will take me to court. I never said I would pay X amount back and he never asked for X amount until now.
    Do I owe him? Can he take me to court and what does that actually mean?

I am really worried because I can't afford a new place to live and 1450. If I do owe him, do these other things count towards it:
    I organised and paid 150 for his stuff to be moved from his old flat to this one and unpacked it for him.
    I bought some furniture for the flat including a desk for him.
    I have done 100% of the housework, even putting his clothes in the washing basket and handing him his pack lunch.

Am I in trouble here? What can I do?? I've tried searching for past threads but it's tricky because the rent is paid and only he was referenced though I am on the lease so I doubt our LL cares as they have the money. Any advice appreciated, I realise I've been stupid but didn't see us breaking up like this (who does?!).
    Last edited by winklepickers; 31-07-2012 at 9:35 PM. Reason: confusion
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,901Posts Today

8,486Users online

Martin's Twitter