Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Marriage, Relationships & Families > Getting money to pay for funeral, help? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Getting money to pay for funeral, help?
Closed Thread
Views: 847
# 1
sarah7610
Old 16-07-2012, 12:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Getting money to pay for funeral, help?

A close friend of mine unfortunately passed away on Friday after a short battle with Leukemia.
I went to the funeral directors this morning with his sister and brother to make the final arrangements and it was explained that money was in very short supply.
The final total of the funeral is over 2000 which is just the basics, (no cars etc.) but his siblings have got to pay 975 before the funeral on Friday 20th.
It was explained that a grant can be applied for but that can take a few weeks and doesn't solve the problem of the 975.
My friend didn't own a house or have any pensions or insurance but he does have around 1500 in the bank.
How can she access this money to pay the funeral costs as she is worried she will be questioned as to why money has gone from the account after his death?
I hope I explained that ok, any advice please?

Thanks
# 2
Oliver14
Old 16-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Cant Help you with funding. But every Funeral Director should offer a basic funeral which is a lot cheaper than you are quoting. They have a habit of not telling people about these.
'The More I know about people the Better I like my Dog'
Samuel Clemens
The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver14 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
antrobus
Old 16-07-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah7610 View Post
My friend didn't own a house or have any pensions or insurance but he does have around 1500 in the bank.
How can she access this money to pay the funeral costs as she is worried she will be questioned as to why money has gone from the account after his death?
As the next of kin, the sister or brother should approach the bank armed with the death certificate and the bill from the funeral directors. Almost certainly, the bank will pay 975 to the funeral directors.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to antrobus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Just Plain Jane
Old 16-07-2012, 12:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by antrobus View Post
As the next of kin, the sister or brother should approach the bank armed with the death certificate and the bill from the funeral directors. Almost certainly, the bank will pay 975 to the funeral directors.
This is what we did when my mum died. The bank (Santander) paid the undertaker directly out of her account.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Jane For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
floss2
Old 16-07-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver14 View Post
Cant Help you with funding. But every Funeral Director should offer a basic funeral which is a lot cheaper than you are quoting. They have a habit of not telling people about these.
At 2k, that probably IS the basic funeral.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to floss2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
daska
Old 16-07-2012, 12:38 PM

I would suggest you get some more quotes, ring round and specifically ask each undertaker for the cost of their most basic funeral.
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
48 down, 22 to go
Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
# 7
McKneff
Old 16-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I wouldnt bother shopping around.

2K is extremely cheap for a funeral.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
The Following User Says Thank You to McKneff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
sarah7610
Old 16-07-2012, 12:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

This is a basic funeral.
# 9
*Robin*
Old 16-07-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antrobus View Post
Funeral expenses are paid from the deceased's estate; I believe this is the only payment that can be made from the deceased's account before letters of administration or probate has been granted.

My husband's funeral is going to cost twice what the OP has been quoted, though we have not chosen the cheapest option. I would be upset if the funeral director asked me to pay up front though (mind you, this is the third one I've arranged with him and he knows his bills were settled promptly before - in both cases the deceased's bank paid the FD directly when I sent in the bill).

ETA: The FD we are using offers a basic service (crematorium) for 1,600.
# 10
GobbledyGook
Old 16-07-2012, 1:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Robin* View Post
Funeral expenses are paid from the deceased's estate; I believe this is the only payment that can be made from the deceased's account before letters of administration or probate has been granted.

My husband's funeral is going to cost twice what the OP has been quoted, though we have not chosen the cheapest option. I would be upset if the funeral director asked me to pay up front though (mind you, this is the third one I've arranged with him and he knows his bills were settled promptly before - in both cases the deceased's bank paid the FD directly when I sent in the bill).

ETA: The FD we are using offers a basic service (crematorium) for 1,600.
Many funeral directors ask for the disbursements to be paid up front so it's something you should be prepared for.
# 11
zaxdog
Old 16-07-2012, 1:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I used to work in the "bereavement" team for HBOS and the bank HAS to settle the funeral expenses and should do so promptly on receipt of a death certificate and undertakers invoice.
# 12
StaffieTerrier
Old 16-07-2012, 2:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

When my Dad died both the bank and BS said they would release money to the funeral directors to pay for the funeral. A copy of the death certificate and an invoice from the funeral directors should be enough for them to release funds to pay the 975.

We had to pay part of the fee before the funeral. This covered the cost of the crematorium, florist, etc.
# 13
horseykitty
Old 17-07-2012, 7:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

When my mum died last year the funeral director wanted 1000 up front, despite the fact that they'd buried my father a few years previously. I had to borrow the money off my in- laws. The final bill which was over 5000 was paid by Santander from her account upon receipt of her death certificate and the funeral directors bill.
# 14
redmalc
Old 17-07-2012, 8:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

it is becoming the norm for them to ask for at least 1k upfront,i know someone who had to loan the money to pay the undertaker recently
# 15
themull1
Old 17-07-2012, 8:30 PM

What if no one pays the money upfront?
# 16
miss hh
Old 17-07-2012, 8:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

What if there is no money in the persons account? DOes the funeral director hold the body?
# 17
Mojisola
Old 17-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The local authority will arrange a basic funeral if no-one in the family has any money.
Closed Thread