Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BlondeHeadOn
    • By BlondeHeadOn 8th Jul 12, 4:35 PM
    • 2,166Posts
    • 2,932Thanks
    BlondeHeadOn
    Pension payments, in advance or arrears?
    • 8th Jul 12, 4:35 PM
    Pension payments, in advance or arrears? 8th Jul 12 at 4:35 PM
    This seems like a daft qustion, but no-one I know seems to know the answer so I'll risk sounding daft on here...

My OH will soon be taking early retirement, but if his retirement starts on e.g. the 1st September, when does he get his first pension payment from his company pension scheme? He thinks it will follow his salary pattern and be paid in arrears (so first payment at the end of September), but to me it would be more logical if pension payments are in advance - after all, it is not a payment for work done.

Also which way does it work for private pensions?

It's relevant because I am trying to work out the budget or the first few months of his retirement.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • anmarj
    • By anmarj 8th Jul 12, 6:28 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    anmarj
    • 8th Jul 12, 6:28 PM
    • 8th Jul 12, 6:28 PM
    for company pensions it depends on the individual companies if they pay in advance or arrears, you can give them a call and they should be able to tell you
    still happily married and mummy to one

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    • srcandas
    • By srcandas 8th Jul 12, 7:48 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    srcandas
    • 8th Jul 12, 7:48 PM
    • 8th Jul 12, 7:48 PM
    Blondeheadon not trying to highjack your post and I will be talking tomorrow with two PP providers so will be back with something useful but a supplementary question if I may

If you opt to take your pension annually as opposed to monthly do you:

i) get a little more
    ii) get paid after 6 months
    iii) get paid at the end of the year with no benefit (but possible reduced bank charges in the future).
    iv) get paid in advance as a reward for less transactions - yeah wishful thinking

ps my scottish widows is in arrears
    Last edited by srcandas; 08-07-2012 at 7:51 PM.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Jul 12, 9:22 PM
    • 83,289 Posts
    • 48,332 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 8th Jul 12, 9:22 PM
    • 8th Jul 12, 9:22 PM
    If you opt to take your pension annually as opposed to monthly do you:

i) get a little more
    ii) get paid after 6 months
    iii) get paid at the end of the year with no benefit (but possible reduced bank charges in the future).
    iv) get paid in advance as a reward for less transactions - yeah wishful thinking
    i) yes if it is annually in arrears. no if it is annually in advance.
    ii) same as above but on half yearly basis
    iii) not sure what you mean by that
    iv) no

ps my scottish widows is in arrears
    Only because you chose it that way. You get to choose things like advance/arrears, with or without overlap, with or without proportion etc.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 9th Jul 12, 12:26 AM
    • 13,150 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 9th Jul 12, 12:26 AM
    • 9th Jul 12, 12:26 AM
    Pensions are normally paid in advance. They can be in arrears, but this is unusual for an occupational pension scheme. For an annuity, which is bought by the member, it's normally only in arrears if the member specifically requested it.

In 30 years, I've never seen a pension paid in arrears.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac
    • srcandas
    • By srcandas 9th Jul 12, 6:35 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    srcandas
    • 9th Jul 12, 6:35 AM
    • 9th Jul 12, 6:35 AM
    In 30 years, I've never seen a pension paid in arrears.
    Originally posted by Debt_Free_Chick
    I quote from Scottish Widows "Your guide to Guaranteed Annuity Rates under your personal pension plus plan"

- is payable yearly, half-yearly, quarterly or monthly in arrears.

But the Prudential for a similar PP is paid in advance.

Neither company offers me a choice in this matter based on the formal documentation they have sent me. Just a choice of payment period.
    Last edited by srcandas; 09-07-2012 at 6:39 AM.
    • BlondeHeadOn
    • By BlondeHeadOn 9th Jul 12, 9:03 AM
    • 2,166 Posts
    • 2,932 Thanks
    BlondeHeadOn
    • 9th Jul 12, 9:03 AM
    • 9th Jul 12, 9:03 AM
    I'm beginning to think that this may not have been such a daft question after all! Obviously it varies.

Right, I will get OH to ask both his company pension scheme and his private pension scheme how they work.

Thanks folks!

• dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Jul 12, 9:31 AM
    • 83,289 Posts
    • 48,332 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 9th Jul 12, 9:31 AM
    • 9th Jul 12, 9:31 AM
    Neither company offers me a choice in this matter based on the formal documentation they have sent me. Just a choice of payment period.
    They will send what you ask them to supply. If you dont ask them to supply specifics then they will send default options.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • srcandas
    • By srcandas 9th Jul 12, 10:43 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    srcandas
    • 9th Jul 12, 10:43 AM
    • 9th Jul 12, 10:43 AM
    Just a thought being paid a year in arrears may be very attractive as it presumably moves the payment into the following tax year. Thus (under the right circumstances) if you have the cash flow this could reduce tax (even if the benefit would be for your inheritors
    Last edited by srcandas; 09-07-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    • jem16
    • By jem16 9th Jul 12, 10:48 AM
    • 18,438 Posts
    • 11,210 Thanks
    jem16
    Yes Dunston as often you are right and once again it is an example of hopeless inefficiency by a member of the finance industry. (and some might suggest fraudulent).
    Originally posted by srcandas
    Presumably if you were using an IFA, the IFA would sort it all for you and know exactly which questions to ask of the insurance company?
    • srcandas
    • By srcandas 9th Jul 12, 10:56 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    srcandas
    Presumably if you were using an IFA, the IFA would sort it all for you and know exactly which questions to ask of the insurance company?
    Originally posted by jem16
    And judging on how hard they try and sell such services I'm sure they make sure that is so. Not only that but they notify the IFA 2 weeks earlier than a client?

But with a pot of 2780 I wonder what percentage an IFA would want?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Jul 12, 10:56 AM
    • 83,289 Posts
    • 48,332 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Just a thought being paid a year in arrears may be very attractive as it presumably moves the payment into the following tax year. Thus (under the right circumstances) if you have the cash flow this could reduce tax.
    It may be but then it can also mean less money over the whole term potentially in case you die before the next payment is due.

Ignoring guarantee period/spouse provision. If you select say annually in arrears and then die in month 9, then no annuity payment is ever made if you select "without proportion". if you select "with proportion" then there would be 9 months worth paid out but with proportion would pay a lower annuity than without proportion and that may negate the increased benefit.
    • srcandas
    • By srcandas 9th Jul 12, 10:59 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    srcandas
    Sorry accidentally deleted this. It was three/four posts up

They will send what you ask them to supply. If you dont ask them to supply specifics then they will send default options.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Yes Dunston as often you are right and once again it is an example of hopeless inefficiency by a member of the finance industry. (and some might suggest fraudulent).

Although their documentation says "it is in arrears" with no caveats in reality it is possible to ask for it in advance. So with only 7 weeks notification of a very critical decision (if I do not action the GAR on the specific day it will be lost) I am sent 12 pages of information which is only correct in part and does not offer the options. They offer that I can request various options and each time they will send out the full 12 page pack once again. I mean who gives a !!!! about the planet.

Suggestion:

Payment time intervals: monthly [] 3 monthly [] 6 monthly [] yearly []

Payment to be made: in arrears [] in advance []

Please tick one from each group

Yup a child of 4 could have come up with that. Well beyond the finance industry of course

And I asked Scottish Widows if by being paid in arrears annually I would be paid more. After five minutes while they consulted a technician they said yes but didn't offer how much or how it is calculated. So I will write in again. As Mr Farage would say "You couldn't make it up"

Blondheadon I'd just demand everything you want and let them sort it. The danger is of course that they will screw it up and delay payment but best of luck
    • jem16
    • By jem16 9th Jul 12, 10:59 AM
    • 18,438 Posts
    • 11,210 Thanks
    jem16
    But with a pot of 2780 I wonder what percentage an IFA would want?
    Ah ok - not worth it unless you have an existing relationship with an IFA. Otherwise I would imagine at least 500 as a fee.
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 9th Jul 12, 12:28 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Rodders53
    It really does depend on the Scheme (and should be clearly spelt out in the literature and pension illustration statements provided by them to your husband).

Mine is paid monthly, mid month, 1/2 in advance and 1/2 in arrears... the same as when I was employed. Pay date is 1 day later for the pension though.

{Used to be in arrears but when they moved weekly paid staff into monthly pay - in the 80s? - they came up with this mid-month compromise deal, for all}.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

473Posts Today

4,156Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick goodbye (for now)... https://t.co/00uuzdpqAv

• Still fighting - hoping for chinks in the armour as there's a new administration https://t.co/XMYOGshhI0

• About to speak to talented teens from underprivileged backgrounds re student finance. Far more difficult to be +ve after retrospective hikes

• Follow Martin