IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
laminate flooring - fitting and supplying
Closed Thread
Views: 28,864
# 1
Annabee
Old 20-03-2007, 12:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default laminate flooring - fitting and supplying

We wanted to get three rooms done- living room (approximately 13.4 sq metres) , dining room (15.4 sm) and conversatory (14 sm) plus small hallway(2.64 sm) and we have just had a quote for 1,296 pounds, inc underlay, beading and everything using Quick Step 700. The guy is telling me how Quick Step is superior to everything else, made of HDF instead of MDF, 20 years guarantee, doesn't join by tongue and groove (?) etc etc.

It all looked very convincing, but its a bit more than we were thinking of paying, can you tell me if its worth it?

Also from what we have read on this site we thought we would have new skirting instead of beading as we thought this would be the cheaper option, plus our skirting is looking a bit rough, but he says no, if they removed the skirting they would still charge the same, due to the extra work, and then we would have to pay his carpenter an extra 300 for fitting new skirting. Any opinions about this?

Thanks a lot.
# 2
Lifeisbutadream
Old 20-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

We run a small joinery business and would charge around £12.50 per square metre to fit laminate flooring and around £16.50 per sq metre to fit wood flooring.

We would always recommend changing the skirting, as it not only gives a more professional finish, it would cost you around the same (labour) to have fitted as beading, so unless you have some skirting that you really wanted to keep, then I would change it.

Has the quote you have had been broken down into labour and materials?

The Following User Says Thank You to Lifeisbutadream For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Annabee
Old 20-03-2007, 1:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Nope - just one big total! I really don't understand about the beading/skirting thing as I thought beading was expensive and skirting cheap.
# 4
Lifeisbutadream
Old 20-03-2007, 5:03 PM

All beading is, is lengths of plastic, so the beading itself is cheaper. However its all down to personal taste - beading is usually a 'DIY' option and in my personal opinion looks cheap. To get your skirting refitted will look nicer and should not cost that much more unless half your wall comes off when they are removed and you need it replastering as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lifeisbutadream For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Annabee
Old 30-03-2007, 1:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for your input, Lifeisbutadream, it was helpful. We have now had a quote from someone else, rekommended by my nearest Floors2Go, and his quote is only 960. There was only about 40 pounds different (less) if we had the beading instead of skirting, as kompared to the other blokes 300 pound differene, so we are going with new skirting.

He seems to know what he is talking about, and he's busy, so won't be able to do it until end of April, but I think this is a good sign. I had a feeling the other bloke was asking way too mu(h. So fingers krossed!
The Following User Says Thank You to Annabee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
ormus
Old 30-03-2007, 4:44 PM

beading is 4.95 per length.
you can get a pack of skirting for about 12/15 quid.
Get some gorm.
# 7
misgrace
Old 30-03-2007, 7:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

New skirting does look the business, we had new skirtings put on with our engineered floor.
We bought the skirtings in lengths, and I knotted and primed them, then did a couple of oilbase U/C, the OH put them on after the flooring was laid, so all I had to do was make good where he *&%*^" up the mitres, , and do 2 coats of satinwood, so there is less chance of the paint getting on your floor.
So as from start of painting skirtings to finishing is a few days, I didnt want to leave the tape on the new floor that long.
# 8
superjaggybunnet
Old 11-04-2007, 9:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you are putting on new skirtings paint them up before you fit them. Saves you trying to get the floor masked up maybe missing a bit and getting paint all over the new floor.
# 9
gardnt1
Old 11-04-2007, 12:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

in the birmingham area, we would be charging around £7-8 per sq metre fitting. Extra cost if fitting skirting, but i wouldnt go for the quickstep 700. I would at least choose quickstep 800 or 950, especially downstairs as this would be getting a lot of use. Q700 best for bedrooms etc. based upon your approx room sizes, i'll try and post an average price that i would be charging
# 10
gardnt1
Old 11-04-2007, 12:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi again,

using quickstep 700 with a decent underlay (very important! with gold backing) timbermate excell gold and including beading plus fitting and any door bars required price would be in range £1000 - 1025

With quickstep 800 price jumps to £1115 - 1135 approx.

Price you have been quoted is reasonable as fitting alone is around £300.

Definately think about the 800 floor though in preference, and make sure what underlay is used
Closed Thread