Tarmacking over block paved drive..price?

Options
Is it possible to tarmack straight over a drive thats already block paved?

If so we may be looking to do this to cover an area about 37sq metres-can anyone please give an idea on how much we could be looking to cover this please?

Many thanks as usual
F
:j

Comments

• ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    you can't lay tarmac over block paving,the blocks need to be lifted, sand bed removed and then 60-80mm of tarmac laid (2 layers - 50-60mm base course, 20 - 30mm wearing course) why lift the paving?
  • ferry
    ferry Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To be honest it looks like the blocks were not laid properly in the first place.

Neighbour had this done quite recently with the specks in and I think it looks quite nice.

Plus no more weeds growing through!
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    With tarmac it is very important that the whole construction (stone / hardcore and then the 2 tarmac layers) is properly constructed / compacted to ensure that the product is durable and long lasting. If you are not convinced the blocks are properly laid, the tarmac overlay will fail very quickly - a complete waste of money. Another option is to get the blocks lifted and relaid - if you go this route use a geotextile under the sand (normally under the stone) which will help eliminate some weed growth, relay the blocks on 30-50 sand bed, lay the blocks and compact with a 'wacker plate' and get the joints well sanded. [who did you neighbours drive? a reputable local firm?? guarantee??? - I suspect I know the answer but]
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ferry wrote: »

Just wait!
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Weeds will grow through tarmac , no problem.. it'll be a complete waste of money if that's what you hoping to achieve..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Neighbour had this done quite recently with the specks in and I think it looks quite nice.

Did they knock on the door and say they were working for the council nearby and had some tarmac leftover and would do the drive for a good price?

Like ian103 said laying tarmac directly on block paving is not a good idea, especially if you think the original blocks were not laid properly.
  • ferry
    ferry Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes,will be done properly now I've done my research and the good advice on here if we decide to go the tarmacking route.

Also,I believe uplifting the current blocks and relaying them properly is also an option?

As you can tell I'm trying to keep costs down
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can tarmac over block paving; the previous owner of this house had done just that.

But... it seems it lasts about a year before it completely fails, and the bricks underneath are also ruined. Oh, and of course, it was a couple of centimetres higher than the brickwork... so neither garage door would open.....

It's yet another job on the list of "sort out the mess the seller left us", so I wouldn't advise it for any "proper" job!
  • grizzly1911
    grizzly1911 Posts: 9,965 Forumite
    Options
    Yes,will be done properly now I've done my research and the good advice on here if we decide to go the tarmacking route.

Also,I believe uplifting the current blocks and relaying them properly is also an option?

As you can tell I'm trying to keep costs down

When we had our drive done 45sqm, originally tarmac, we got uotes for both tarmac and block paving.

Tarmac quotes were all more expensive, doing the job properly.

Perhaps the contractors didn't want to do it or the cost of plant etc makes it uneconomic for small amounts?

In the end we had some nice "random" blocks.

Would have thought you would be able to get he relaid properly for under £1k or less..
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 July 2012 at 3:18PM
    Options
    To be honest it looks like the blocks were not laid properly in the first place.

I just give the driveway a sprinkle of sodium chlorate every summer and that's basically the end of the weeds for the season.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure