Is It Just Me?

Options
shaz77_2
shaz77_2 Posts: 1,881 Forumite
I'm happy we live in a reasonably peaceful society now, however is anyone else from Northern Ireland sick, sore and tired of hearing about the peace process, a shared future, historical moments and symbolic gestures?

Maybe it's just me but the above soundbites have started to get on my nerves.

Comments

• x12yhp
    x12yhp Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with you - it all seems like a needless reminder of something which (to me) is basically in the past.

However I don't believe we are the problem. There remain those who will consider it bad to converse with someone from the other religion. There are still those who will not talk to the police. Give it two weeks and I can guarantee there will still be those who will use extreme violence against other people based on their being either police or another religion. Of course the only way of dealing with these people would be to put a big fence around them and leave them to it!

Of course, the stereotype I have described will not likely be intelligent enough to listen or watch the news (well, not until the sport section) so we can come back to your original point about the whole thing being un-necessary on the news!

ps. the silliest thing I heard this week was the stories describing our former IRA commander minister as the one who was showing great foresight and control to meet the Queen. This man and his people waged a terrorist war against what the Queen represented, they killed numerous innocent people and quite intentionally murdered at least one direct relative of this woman. Yes he is showing he can move forward but this man should not be given sympathy and forgiveness because of it.
    Always overestimating...
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think not enough references to the peace process, symbolic gestures and shared future can be made. The peace process is not just in the past, it's our present and our future. It can't be relegated to the past or to the history books otherwise the past will come back again.
  • leftieM
    leftieM Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The responses in this thread are very telling, and I will be slated for saying this, but I reckon there is a sectarian divide between who is sick of the peace process and who is not.
    Sectarianism infuses every corner of this society. At least the politicians etc are trying a top-down approach to eradicating it.
    Stercus accidit
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 June 2012 at 11:59AM
    Options
    Perhaps the Op is prompted by the media's portrayal of the Queen's visit. The Queen's visit was meant to be part a UK-wide tour. Belfast was the obvious place to visit as that is the biggest city. Enniskillen rather than Newry, Armagh or Dungannon etc. was officially chosen because it was the most western part of the UK. All straight forward really nobody should have any complaints. Just a monarch visiting a part of the UK like visiting north of Scotland or Cornwall etc. However, what was portrayed on TV was quite different in many people eyes. That is what perhhaps annoys many. it was not the visit but the way the media portrayed it.
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    edited 30 June 2012 at 12:40PM
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    Perhaps the Op is prompted by the media's portrayal of the Queen's visit. The Queen's visit was meant to be part a UK-wide tour. Belfast was the obvious place to visit as that is the biggest city. Enniskillen rather than Newry, Armagh or Dungannon etc. was officially chosen because it was the most western part of the UK. All straight forward really nobody should have any complaints. Just a monarch visiting a part of the UK like visiting north of Scotland or Cornwall etc. However, what was portrayed on TV was quite different in many people eyes. That is what perhhaps annoys many. it was not the visit but the way the media portrayed it.
    Do you think the queen would have been welcome in Newry ,Armagh or Dungannon .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    edited 30 June 2012 at 1:15PM
    Options
    x12yhp wrote: »

ps. the silliest thing I heard this week was the stories describing our former IRA commander minister as the one who was showing great foresight and control to meet the Queen. This man and his people waged a terrorist war against what the Queen represented, they killed numerous innocent people and quite intentionally murdered at least one direct relative of this woman. Yes he is showing he can move forward but this man should not be given sympathy and forgiveness because of it.
    Former IRA commander or not Martin McGuinness is an elected representive, the queen is not .He did not have to meet her ,she on the other hand didnt have much choice ,its her job for which she gets well paid by us .The queen is the head off the armed forces ,the same armed forces that have unlawfully killed people on bloody Sunday .Is she then as guilty as Martin McGuinness . Prince Philip snubbed Martin McGuinness but at 91 he can get away with it ,however if it was the other way around the media would have had a field day .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • leftieM
    leftieM Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It must have been difficult for both the DFM and the Queen to meet each other. Fair play to both of them for putting their animosity to one side for the greater good.
    Stercus accidit
  • worry-wart_3
    worry-wart_3 Posts: 646 Forumite
    Options
    Old_Git wrote: »
    Former IRA commander or not Martin McGuinness is an elected representive, the queen is not .He did not have to meet her ,she on the other hand didnt have much choice ,its her job for which she gets well paid by us .The queen is the head off the armed forces ,the same armed forces that have unlawfully killed people on bloody Sunday .Is she then as guilty as Martin McGuinness . Prince Philip snubbed Martin McGuinness but at 91 he can get away with it ,however if it was the other way around the media would have had a field day .

The Queen may well be the head of the Armed Forces (as I've heard so many people rhyme off this week) but unlike her, I believe DFM gave commands and bared arms. Somehow I can't see the Queen down in Crossmaglen with an armalite in her hands. She is the head of the armed forces de facto as she is our Monarch. It is a title in name only and not responsibility.

As for Prince Philip - I hope he's getting signed up to Strictly after showing such deft footwork :rotfl: That boyo can move for someone who is 91!
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
  • shaz77_2
    shaz77_2 Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    Options
    My point is more if reference to flooding happening, and other disasters while our politicians rant about how things are great because we are in a peace process, surely this is irrelevant?
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 June 2012 at 7:11PM
    Options
    shaz77 wrote: »
    My point is more if reference to flooding happening, and other disasters while our politicians rant about how things are great because we are in a peace process, surely this is irrelevant?

Politicans in norn iron perhaps have just gotten too used to seeking a world stage by using buzz words that are tried and tested and known to attract national and international media coverage. There is something to be said for just getting with and running the place including making sure that the drains work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure