Smart Wear Or A suit For Interview?

Options
I have an Interview on 4th July and need to wear smart clothes but I cannot afford prices I've seen for a Suit. Would a pair of black trousers and just a blouse or nice top be ok? I also have a driving assessment so I don't really want to wear a skirt because I also have to wear driving shoes which is another cost that I could do without. This is my first ever formal interview i've done for almost 20 years so I don't really know what to wear :o

Comments

• Mischa8
    Mischa8 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Kimberley wrote: »
    I have an Interview on 4th July and need to wear smart clothes but I cannot afford prices I've seen for a Suit. Would a pair of black trousers and just a blouse or nice top be ok? I also have a driving assessment so I don't really want to wear a skirt because I also have to wear driving shoes which is another cost that I could do without. This is my first ever formal interview i've done for almost 20 years so I don't really know what to wear :o

I'd prefer to see a suit as an employer.

Can't you borrow one or get one for an investment?

Trouser suit is fine too.
  • yvonne13_2
    yvonne13_2 Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you currently unemployed? If yes according to loverboy if you go to your local job Center/employment advisor with the letter asking you to attend an interview they will/might give you a voucher/money for some clothes/shoes from Matalan.
    Hopefully someone else will be along soon that lives in your area and can confirm if that is standard in your area.
    It's better to regret something I did do than to regret something that I didn’t. :EasterBun
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    No I work part time but money is tight :o
  • michelle2008
    michelle2008 Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    In the summer I think trousers and a smart blouse are acceptable in most cases. I have interviewed lots of times and while it is more obvious when men don't wear suits - it is less so for women.

Smart, tidy appearance (do get a hair cut) and confidence are more important imho
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Auntie-Dolly Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    What sort of job is it? I had interviews recently after many many years & my friend who has quite an important job said no-one wears suits anymore so I've been wearing smart trousers & a nice top. Having said that, I'm still unemployed!
  • Pupnik
    Pupnik Posts: 452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say almost always wear a suit, just to be safe. Since you have black trousers already could you borrow a black suit jacket from a friend or family member? Or go to a charity shop? Failing that Primark do black suit jackets for £12. Not very nice, but still...

You could also look online as you still have a bit of time to prepare?
  • Missli
    Missli Posts: 7,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you are really hard up, you can always go the cheap, but looks good route. I did so many years ago. Florence & Fred at Tesco are great for this. Suit for £20:

Jacket

http://www.clothingattesco.com/coats+jackets/f+f-basic-jacket/invt/br211082/&bklist=icat,4,shop,catgwomens,womens-tailoring

Trousers

http://www.clothingattesco.com/workwear+tailoring/f+f-smart-trouser/invt/br121141/&bklist=icat,4,shop,catgwomens,womens-tailoring

Sorted!. :D
    New forum. New sig. Yes I still need to lose 2 stone! :smiley:
  • michelle2008
    michelle2008 Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know people in the industry / company? Might be worth asking?
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    The job is for a Bus driver :D
  • yvonne13_2
    yvonne13_2 Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck OP I hope you get the job :)
    It's better to regret something I did do than to regret something that I didn’t. :EasterBun
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure