PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Padding out meals

Options
I'm cooking 8 portions of spag bol tonight and for that I'm using 1,600g of mince.

I have never "padded" out meat before and wouldn't have the first clue what to do with lentils (I don't think one has ever passed mine or bf mouth)

He likes his meat, but I would like to secretly pad out the spag bol I'm making tonight to maybe 10 portions.

What do I do? Do lentils come in tins/bags/etc. Where in the supermarket will they be? How much do they cost? Do I have to soak them overnight? How much do I use? I simply don't know what to do with them.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    add veg to it instead............grate some carrots, chop some celery into it or add loads of mushrooms............not everyone likes lentils and they can effect some people in a very anti social way.

Liz
    xxx
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    I always add a tin of baked beans to Spagbol, chilli and shepherds Pie

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooh, I have carrots. Will we be able to taste them? Not that I mind, but he's very particular about his spag bol. He likes the meaty way I do it, so in his mind, why on earth would I change it?!!

He doesn't like baked beans. Wonder would he notice these in it?

I am tempted to try and pad it out tonight, but I also don't want to mess up such a large pot of spag bol! Eek!
  • pollyanna24
    Options
    PS How much carrot should I put in? And at what stage? At the start when I've just put the toms in?
  • Mogkat
    Mogkat Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be inclined to use mushrooms to pad it out as they have a meaty texture and flavour and don't look out of place in a spag bol.
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    1600g or in excess of 3lb of mince for 8 portions is already quite a lot, in my opinion! I would use about 4-6 oz per person for a normal portion, a little less if on a diet.

To 'pad out' you have a number of options (whatever you do, only use 1/3- 1/2 total volume of padding):

1 Put raw peeled/cored/scraped vegetables, eg carrot, pepper, mushroom, courgette through the food processor until it is ground like mince.

2 Use TVP or soya mince - you'll find this sold in 500g ish bags in the health food section of the supermarket. Needs soaking in hot water before using (instructions on packet)

3 Use lentils or beans. If you're a newbie to this then you can buy them canned and simply drain them. Found near canned peas carrots in supermarket. Cost between 15-60p per 400g tin. You can food process them if you want to hide them better.

To disguise the taste better I usually fry the mince in its own fat, and set it aside. Hten tip any excess fat out of the pan, but then saute the 'padding' in a little of the meat fat and juices. The veg will need 5 mins on a low heat, beans or soaked TVP will just need 1-2 mins. Then add the mince back in and carry on with the recipe.. Use plenty of seasoning herbs and sauce to ensure a good taste. May also need an extra stock cube for colour and depth of flavour.

Good luck! :)
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ooh, I have carrots. Will we be able to taste them? Not that I mind, but he's very particular about his spag bol. He likes the meaty way I do it, so in his mind, why on earth would I change it?!!

He doesn't like baked beans. Wonder would he notice these in it?

I am tempted to try and pad it out tonight, but I also don't want to mess up such a large pot of spag bol! Eek!

No you won't taste the carrots, just grate them into it, baked beens will defo be noticed.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • pollyanna24
    Options
    I know it is quite a lot, but we seem to be pigs! I even eat the same size portions!! He does work hard, so I think he deserves a nice hearty meal in the evenings.

I think I will try the minced carrot option. So I fry it separately from the main meal I'm making and then add it in? If so, maybe I could experiment and just add this to a small portion of the spag bol, so if he doesn't like it, it's not a whole pot wasted?
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lentils usually come dry in bags. They'll be with dried fruits etc and quite likely near the health foods. You don't need to soak them (unlike most dried pulses etc). Just chuck them in when its simmering. Assuming you simmer your SB for an hour or so to develop the flavour they will be fine. With 4 pounds of mince I guess you might add a cup of lentils.

Incidentally, if you want a good simple Lentil dish try The Vegetarian Shepherds Pie from the original Delia Smith Illustrated Cookery Course. I made it in honour of a visit from my veggie sister in law and it was fantastic. DW and DSx2 all want to have it again and we all are conformed carnivores.
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    I would grate it very finely (use a food processor if you have one, and fry itin the meat juice. the only thing I would say is that carrot can make the end product quite ssweet. I tend to use half carrot, half mushroom, pepper or courgette. the most taste neutral in my opinion would be lentils.

Sorry if I seemed to criticise your portions! I have been on a diet for a year so it's me not you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure