Cat D write off - can I repair car and keep it?

Options
I recently had a car accident that was the others party fault - somebody drove into my back whilst I was stationery. Other parties insurance accepted full liability. My insurance passed me on to a claims management agency who have provided me with a hire car and got the damage of my car assessed.

Turns out my car is a category D write off. I have been told I will get a settlement cheque from the others party insurance and then have to hand the hire car back. I have also been assured the car will stay in my possession and I can get it repaired or salvaged should I wish to do so.

I can't find confirmation anywhere that the car definitely stays in my possession, but instead read a lot online about having to buy the car back - does this only apply when you claim on your own insurance?

And as far as I can see a Cat D does not require MOT retesting and would therefore be legal to drive.

Would my own insurance still be valid (third party only) as I didn't claim on it, or am I likely to run into problem?

I just want to make sure I am not missing something as my plan is to accept the settlement and get the repairs done cheap 9it's an old car and I plan to replace it anyway in 2 years).

Thanks for any advise!!!

Comments

• ktez
    ktez Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I can't help with the insurance bit however I do know that (in NI and I think the rest of the UK) that if a vehicle has been written off as either a cat c or cat d, then it will require a VIC test (Vehicle Identity Check) by the folk that do the MOTs. of course you will have no problem passing it as it is just checking that the identity of the car, however it will be an additional cost before putting it back on the road.
  • oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I had a car written off as Cat D in very similar circumstances to you. I was given a settlement figure and was told if I wanted the car then the salvage valuation would be withheld from the settlement. I decided not to take this route and ended up with 2 cheques. 1 for the salvage value then another for the rest when the 3rd party insurers paid up.

I have seen the car on the road and met the new owner. He told me he bought it from the insurers for about half the write off value. I presume second hand parts were used to repair it as it was written off due to cost of parts. e,g, new xenon headlamp units £1000 each total parts cost £5600!

I did find a web site once where you could bid for cat d and c vehicles, some interesting possible projects there such as a MGD V8 with vandalism and water interior damage for not many pennies.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    some insurance companys wont insure cat D or C so do check
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Romily wrote: »
    I recently had a car accident that was the others party fault - somebody drove into my back whilst I was stationery. Other parties insurance accepted full liability. My insurance passed me on to a claims management agency who have provided me with a hire car and got the damage of my car assessed.

Turns out my car is a category D write off. I have been told I will get a settlement cheque from the others party insurance and then have to hand the hire car back. I have also been assured the car will stay in my possession and I can get it repaired or salvaged should I wish to do so.

I can't find confirmation anywhere that the car definitely stays in my possession, but instead read a lot online about having to buy the car back - does this only apply when you claim on your own insurance?

And as far as I can see a Cat D does not require MOT retesting and would therefore be legal to drive.

Would my own insurance still be valid (third party only) as I didn't claim on it, or am I likely to run into problem?

I just want to make sure I am not missing something as my plan is to accept the settlement and get the repairs done cheap 9it's an old car and I plan to replace it anyway in 2 years).

Thanks for any advise!!!

if you have this in writing then you are clear to keep the salvage
    no it wont require a vic
    i would make sure the bump hasnt caused say a fractured brake line etc,its amazing what damage a little bump can do further down the line
    might be best to ask insurer if it affects your insurance
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cat d doesn't need VIC, existing tax & MOT remain valid. Your existing insurance should just carry on as long as your company isn't one of the very few (I think 2) that exclude cover on total losses.

Your policy documentation will give you everything you need and is likely to be more reliable than ringing and asking as call centre staff are often not particularly well trained and might give you wrong info.

All normal road worthyness considerations apply
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BIL bought his car back and the insurer would only cover it 3rd party.

They said they have already paid the full value of the car minus its scrap value and they wouldnt pay out again.

If an accident wasnt your fault you would need to claim all costs from the 3rd party.

Always ask before jumping in though.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Romily
    Romily Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks everybody!

Further investigation revealed that the others party insurance already deducted the salvage value of the cheque they are going to issue, so it seems I didn't have any choice in the matter but the car is def mine. I don't mind too much am still happy with the amount proposed (which is slightly above market value at least that's what my research told me).

I will speak with my insurance today - car has been only insured third party in the first place so I don't think it will be a problem. But will have a read through all teh insurance docs as well, good point!
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the policy docs are the important bit, see earlier comments about badly trained call centre staff
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure