Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > low coast holiday destinations - info? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
low coast holiday destinations - info?
Closed Thread
Views: 1,015
# 1
WOW Factor 0
u751904
Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default low coast holiday destinations - info?

I am changing my tactic for overseas holiday I am finding the traditional package outside my budget now. So I am hoping to beat the costs by booking low coast carriers and hostels. Hopefully picking hostels where they have a family atmosphere. HAs anyone done this? So I've ordered a budget guide to europe / med and consulting back packing guides. I was hoping to find a guide to budget airline destinations but can't see a recent publication. Any advice on planning, destinations, doing it cheap with a six year old on tow etc.. thank you
# 2
gibson123
Old 02-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Think of a destination you would like to go to and then find an ex-pat forum , ex-pats are always posting about bargain flights etc. these forums also often attract holiday home owners who may rent their home out cheaply.
# 3
Voyager2002
Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Rather to my surprise, the guides to destinations on the Ryanair site are actually pretty good.

Anyway, please be aware that what you end up paying to fly on a "no-frills" airline can often be the same or more than for a "full-service" carrier. I suggest that you use the tools available through this site (such as Sky Scanner) to see what cheap flights are available, and then investigate the destinations until you find somewhere you like.
# 4
111KAB
Old 02-06-2012, 10:51 AM

Worth looking at what your money will buy you in each country - from memory typical shopping basket in Portugal was cheapest euro country last year ~ this year it is Spain. In my experience Spain so much cheaper than say France. Gibson123 also spot on ~ my local forum has plenty of apartments etc to let where the owners just don't want to pay excessive fees to letting agents/cleaners etc. Start with your flights, then the resort and add in your transfers ~ easy peasy.
# 5
u751904
Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111KAB View Post
Worth looking at what your money will buy you in each country - from memory typical shopping basket in Portugal was cheapest euro country last year ~ this year it is Spain. In my experience Spain so much cheaper than say France. Gibson123 also spot on ~ my local forum has plenty of apartments etc to let where the owners just don't want to pay excessive fees to letting agents/cleaners etc. Start with your flights, then the resort and add in your transfers ~ easy peasy.

good suggestion... how do you find this out though?
# 6
111KAB
Old 02-06-2012, 2:25 PM

Just Google for shopping basket e.g.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/h...t-holiday.html

If you mean how do you find out about local forum then ask on here once you know the area/resort. For example the above article refers to Majorca/Mallorca being the cheapest in Europe (which personally I doubt) ~ plenty of local forums for Pollensa/Alcudia/Palma Nova etc if you search.
# 7
mcfisco
Old 02-06-2012, 3:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Find places that are easily accessible via public transport from the airport

ie - Costa del Sol
There's a train that leaves [every 20 mins] from just outside the arrivals hall at Malaga airport and goes all the way down as far as Fuengirola
It's new and clean and costs about €2, the ticket machines even have English instructions/menus
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cer...aga/index.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcfisco For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
callum9999
Old 02-06-2012, 6:29 PM

My tactic is kind of the opposite to yours. I go onto Ryanair's website and find out where their sales flights go to at the time I want to travel then look up destination guides etc. and choose some.

That way I've found places that had never occurred to me before that make great holidays, but for only a few pounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to callum9999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
u751904
Old 02-06-2012, 7:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think someone should write a guide ! good tips thank you.
Closed Thread