Tablet for child advice

I want to get a tablet for my little one for her 4th birthday as she likes me iphone

I keep seeing ones for sub £100 but are they any good? I want to buy it second hand as being so young I don't want to spend a lot

I want her to be able to watch videos from you tube(mickey mouse clubhouse and the like) and to be able to store some videos on it

Apart from that not bothered about the speed, camera etc

Can anyone recommend me a good one?

Thanks

Comments

• Lifeforms
    Lifeforms Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    4 is far too young for a sensitive and complex thing like an actual real tablet. BUT Not what you want to hear, however try these that are suitable for kids, and are a good starter to looking after things, and use technology. aka reasonably break resistant, and suitable.
    VTech InnoTab
    or
    LeapFrog LeapPad Explorer Tablet

(available from 4 upwards, and in different colours. A normal tablet could not take the beating from a 4 year old for long, these can. Will give her an idea of them, but as for you tube, prolly not.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    New @ £100 tend to be terrible. Secondhand introduces many more factors and so its impossible to say if it will be good or bad.

Agree to the above though, you are probably better off getting one aimed at that age group rather than one with a minium age that is a multiple of you kids
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What about one of these?
    etch_a_sketch.jpg
    Only joking......or am I?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    penrhyn wrote: »
    What about one of these?
    etch_a_sketch.jpg
    Only joking......or am I?

I want one :cool:
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Think the OP was more thinking one of these

etch-a-sketch-ipad-case.png
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    einalem wrote: »
    I want to get a tablet for my little one for her 4th birthday as she likes me iphone

I keep seeing ones for sub £100 but are they any good? I want to buy it second hand as being so young I don't want to spend a lot

I want her to be able to watch videos from you tube(mickey mouse clubhouse and the like) and to be able to store some videos on it

Apart from that not bothered about the speed, camera etc

Can anyone recommend me a good one?

Thanks
    a 4 year old does not need a tablet and will probably end up breaking it anyway
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    einalem wrote: »
    Before she's a teenager she'll probably like your car, jewellery, gold watch, purse....

Start saving.
  • daisy_darling
    daisy_darling Posts: 190 Forumite
    Are you not better giving her an age appropriate toy like a trike ? I don't really like the thought of little tots getting gadgetry. I think children more than ever need to learn the habit of exercise, of playing outdoors, rather than vegging on a sofa with a nintendo/tablet/wii/etc.

Giving a tablet to one so young is potentially harmful to emotional development too. Children of that age need constant human ineraction. I don't even like little ones watching tv without mum or dad being with them.
  • Lifeforms
    Lifeforms Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    I am guessing that that is not the only toy she has/will have, but a toy tablet is a good alternative to a young child playing with things like iphones.
    Technology should be introduced as early as possible, along side the other things in life. Her own life will revolve around technology, so the better she's with it at a younger age, the more it will give her an advantage.
    The ones I've linked will also educate in a fun way, and some can be expanded as they get older to provide more uses.

Ironically I was looking for a good old toy, a basic toy that can just be played with. Something that doesn't teach, doesn't look educational, is just a fun thing. But so much nowadays is technology based. I just wanted to buy my nephew a fun toy! In the end I've gone with a jiggle cow, that moo's. Seems like everything he has currently is all electronic (except a reduced Po! gained from tescos, which he quite likes :D)
  • Mr_Thrifty
    Mr_Thrifty Posts: 756 Forumite
    Safety first... no tablets.

Just say "no".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business