Preventing a DMF failure

Options
razorfox
razorfox Posts: 56 Forumite
Hi,

Have been reading about Dual Mass Flywheels here and elsewhere about DMFs failing etc but never spotted what a driver could do driving style wise to prevent an early failure?

For example if you was a harsh driver and changed from first to second at higher revs (or any gear) could this cause issues premature problems? Or constantly driving at higher revs or even low revs?

Is there any technique or driving style that people should be aware of when driving a diesel with DMF (Like with the DPF - Get down the motorway occasionally!).

And lastly what mileage would you expect to get out of a DMF?

Thanks
<--- Lost his record of forever holding the record of zero thanks in zero posts.

Comments

• Obukit
    Obukit Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    Dual mass flywheels are designed to absorb vibrations from the engine, and so too much vibration, or too much heat, is what kills them. Most vibration tends to come at low revs, so it's important: -

- Not to try to accelerate from idle, or to pick a "gear of the day". Use the gears to accelerate. If the car is juddering, your DMF is beyond the maximum vibration it can absorb.

- Remembering not to ride the clutch, and to engage neutral and release the clutch rather than sit with your foot on the brake & clutch in gear at traffic lights, to avoid overheating the clutch and thus DMF.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 8 May 2012 at 12:53PM
    Options
    Don't know a lot about them in general, but I have a good idea of how they work and I know how i'd design one to work...... :)

I would imagine they need to be "exercised", that means not driven around at 2k rpm for it's entire life. But at the same time, not thrashed to within an inch of it's life.

"Normal" driving would be the best bet, trying to drive like a saint, trying to save on fuel or driving it like you stole it, will be the worst things to do.

Additionally, because it's job is too smooth out the power output from the engine, if your car isn't running quite right, the EGR is shot or you filled up on dirty fuel, this would cause the DMF extra stress and possibly early failure.

If I had a diesel with a DMF, i'd have a solid flywheel fitted at the first clutch change.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • jimbo_the_jetset
    Options
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/dual-mass-flywheels/

Lots of people seem to say heat is the killer, so avoid riding the clutch etc. I also read somewhere about double de-clutching....can't find the link now though.
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Buy an automatic - they don't have DMFs.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    movilogo wrote: »
    Buy an automatic - they don't have DMFs.

Even the new fangled non torque-converter ones?
  • cootuk
    cootuk Posts: 878 Forumite
    Options
    For the DMF you need to know the criteria for when the DMF regenerates, and this might entail going for a special drive to burn it off.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,657 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cootuk wrote: »
    For the DMF you need to know the criteria for when the DMF regenerates, and this might entail going for a special drive to burn it off.

I think your confusing your DPF with your DMF :)
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,657 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why even fit them anyway? We have managed perfectly well for decades without them.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • cardinalbiggles
    Options
    Why even fit them anyway? We have managed perfectly well for decades without them.

It's to do with the greater power nowadays from Diesels going through standard tranmissions.

Either you have one or you don't and you risk loosing your false teeth when you change gear slightly abruptly ;)
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    Buy a petrol automatic - it saves all the problems from DMF and particulate filters clogging up. Unless you do a high mileage diesels are more trouble they they're worth these days. Old diesels are fine.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure